Divorce or not??

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 07:17 am
Hi,

I'm newcomer. Need all your advice regarding what should I do with this?

Recently (in Dec 2005), I found out that my husband is having an affair, and I confront him about it......he admit it, and telling me all these is because of friends influence (his friend is having affair too)..but, he tell me that he only hold hand with her(that's all), went to see movie once..but, their sms calling each other like 'dear, darling..etc'.....

I really upset regarding this matter, and almost went into depression....

Until today, I really don't know why he treat me this way!! What have I done wrong? Because his business is not stable, I work too (and earn high pay) to support family (all family expenses I paid)...

Now, I really confuse..He plead to me to give him one more chance to prove that he really LOVE me and not that girl....

Please tell me what should I do. I really don't trust him anymore...everytimes he went out, go to work or outstation, I just think that he lied to me. Nowdays, after I caught him having affair, he always bring his mobile phone with him..and change his mobile phone password too.....what does all this mean?

Is he still having the affair? I really feel hurt....I really don't know what to do.... Mad Crying or Very sad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 745 • Replies: 8
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 09:37 am
Hmmm, are there children involved? I think that has to be a question, no matter what.

But I'll see what I can say without knowing that information.
1) You have trust issues with him
2) He has trust issues with you (e. g. why else would he change the password on his phone?)
3) If he's susceptible to his friend's influence to have an affair, I'd say that doesn't say much about your husband's sense of loyalty, sense, classiness or even caring. How stupid! Sorry, but that's how I see it, it's dumb to do something just because your friend is doing it. Your husband is, presumably, an adult. Those kinds of excuses don't hold water any more. He should be able to think and act for himself, and should be able to step back and say No, this is wrong when faced with temptation. He didn't, and blames his friend, and I think that says a lot.
4) All you know about the affair is what he has told you. You don't know if he has told you the whole truth. Clearly, you are skeptical about this.
5) This is not your fault. And your working has nothing to do with it, either. Plenty of men have wives who work and they do not suddenly up and have affairs.
6) Is he still having the affair? I have no idea, but signs point in that direction.

This does not add up. I believe that your husband is clutching at straws to try to explain his behavior. It seems to always be someone else's fault. His friend dared him. You were working and unavailable. The business's instability made him do it.

No. He did it. He needs to own up to it. And if he is still doing it, he needs to stop, and to stop lying to you about it.

Might I suggest counseling, particularly if you have children? You might stay together, you might not, but I think that it cannot hurt. Your husband needs someone to tell him to grow up. And you may very well need a counselor to tell you that you don't have to take the blame for things.

Staying together, or not, is ultimately your decision and we cannot tell you what to do. I suggest counseling as a stopgap measure while you think of what to do, and it may very well help and not just pass the time. If he will not go, then go alone.

And, in the meantime, see what you can do to get yourself together. You've got the Internet at your disposal. Check out apartment rents in your area. Figure out if you could live, by yourself, on your own salary. Determine what it would take to move, if you had to. Not that you ever would -- perhaps it will not come to that -- but if it does, it will be a huge relief to know that you've already done some of the legwork.

Best of luck to you.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 10:38 am
jespah wrote:
Staying together, or not, is ultimately your decision and we cannot tell you what to do. I suggest counseling as a stopgap measure while you think of what to do, and it may very well help and not just pass the time. If he will not go, then go alone.

This is my suggestion as well. Get to a marriage counsellor. Sit, and talk out your feelings on this, and his feelings. Based upon those conversations make your decision. I strongly urge you not to make a decision without benefit of a marriage counsellor's advice first.

Confusewife, I went through the EXACT same situation as you. My first thoughts were of getting a divorce and putting as much distance between my wife and I as was possible. However, I knew that I had married her for a reason, and after I had a chance to cool down and we could both sit in with a counsellor I discovered what _I_ was doing wrong in the marriage, and she discovered what she was doing wrong. We have since fixed our problems and have never been happier.

That outcome doesn't always occur, and it really depends on why you got married in the first place. Patching up the marriage isn't easy at all, but it can be done. 1 year later, it still hurts at times, but the joy outweighs the ache.

Best luck to you.
0 Replies

mommaofone

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 04:17 pm
how sorry is he
is he willing to go to counsling...and can you get past this problem and trust him again? Sense he is still being secretive it seems as though he is still hiding something and makes you go back to the day that you founds out originally. Did he give you signs? Is he still?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 05:08 pm
Confusewife...what country do you live in?
0 Replies

confusewife

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 06:51 pm
Thanks a lot for all your advice...really came in times and make me think twice again about my decision....

Actually, I have 2 kids - 2.5 yrs and 4.5mths baby...My husband started this 'affair' when I was in my last mth pregnancy....

I paid all the house expenses - everything you name it....and he just use his money for his own.....I think I'm capable to survive on my own + 2 kids.....I know without him, I can stand on my own.....cause I trust and love my kids more than anything else....

Yesterday, we had an argument again...He promise and swear that he will never ever see her again or call. I told him clearly that it mean STOP!!!..He agree and even cried to me to ask for chance (that was 1 mth back).....

Yesterday, I found a credit card bill mention that he check in hotel on last Thursday while I was away for business (my job need me to travel extensively).....when I confront him, he said if he tell me, I won't believe it - "The girl call and said her house is out of electric and scared. Ask my husband to send her to hotel to stay for night, but, she has no enough money to pay for the bill"...So, my husband act as hero, paid the hotel bill and went back home (do you think it is true?)....

Before he tell this to me, he even promise or swear to heaven that the girl and him is TOTALLY no communicating.....but........then, he said, the reason, he change handphone password, lied to me, because he don't want me to feel sad and upset again.........also, he NEED some privacy (of changing password to mobile phone and internet access) for himself!!

He said he and the girl is only just friend and the girl make him promise that if she has some difficulties, she can ask him for help.....which that is why he help her regarding hotel bill, electric black out.....

Furthermore, he said, now, just because of his simple mistake - for me, he is criminal....

I really really at lost and no concentration on my work!!!

I stay in Asia region.....

I just always ask myself " What did I do wrong that I deserve he treating me like this?"
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 07:47 am
I'm gonna answer in, um, purple. It's a nice color. Smile

confusewife wrote:
Thanks a lot for all your advice...really came in times and make me think twice again about my decision....

Actually, I have 2 kids - 2.5 yrs and 4.5mths baby...My husband started this 'affair' when I was in my last mth pregnancy.... Oh man, that stinks. And, that means it's been about a half a year or so.

I paid all the house expenses - everything you name it....and he just use his money for his own.....I think I'm capable to survive on my own + 2 kids.....I know without him, I can stand on my own.....cause I trust and love my kids more than anything else.... You are definitely capable of standing on your own two feet. Sounds like he hasn't contributed much to the household. This is not a good situation for you to be in.

Yesterday, we had an argument again...He promise and swear that he will never ever see her again or call. I told him clearly that it mean STOP!!!..He agree and even cried to me to ask for chance (that was 1 mth back)..... This is pretty easy to predict behavior. The question is whether it's sincere (see below).

Yesterday, I found a credit card bill mention that he check in hotel on last Thursday while I was away for business (my job need me to travel extensively).....when I confront him, he said if he tell me, I won't believe it - "The girl call and said her house is out of electric and scared. Ask my husband to send her to hotel to stay for night, but, she has no enough money to pay for the bill"...So, my husband act as hero, paid the hotel bill and went back home (do you think it is true?).... Nope. I think it's total BS. If it was even remotely true, a person who is supposedly swearing off contact with a third party does not suddenly hand over cash for them. I don't see how this could be true at all.

Before he tell this to me, he even promise or swear to heaven that the girl and him is TOTALLY no communicating So the hotel bill proved that that was not true. .....but........then, he said, the reason, he change handphone password, lied to me, because he don't want me to feel sad and upset again How nice of him to want to spare your feelings. He should have thought of that before having an affair. .........also, he NEED some privacy (of changing password to mobile phone and internet access) for himself!! He's mildly right in the sense that he, like everyone else, is entitled to privacy. However, he forfeits a lot of that when he starts sneaking around. When he makes himself untrustworthy, he cannot blame you for not trusting him.

He said he and the girl is only just friend A friend who he gives money to. Riiiight. and the girl make him promise that if she has some difficulties, she can ask him for help Then he should have refused. He's not the welfare board, he's not her Dad or brother and he is not supposed to be her personal knight in shining armor -- he's supposed to be yours. .....which that is why he help her regarding hotel bill, electric black out..... If she's so irresponsible and poor that she cannot pay her bills, she is leeching off him, assuming he's just her friend and that's all it was. So that means she was using him and is a lousy friend. But I think we are all going to come to the same conclusion on this, and that it wasn't about him being some sainted friend to this poor, frightened young lady.

Furthermore, he said, now, just because of his simple mistake - for me, he is criminal.... Mistake? It stops being simple when he persists after promising not to.

I really really at lost and no concentration on my work!!! That's understandable.

I stay in Asia region.....

I just always ask myself " What did I do wrong that I deserve he treating me like this?"
The answer is: you didn't do anything wrong.

Now, I, too, used to travel a lot on business. And that much being apart can really wreak havoc on your relationships. But it does not mean that suddenly there's a license for the spouse, the one that's left at home, to jump into someone else's bed. People who want to be together, and want to be faithful, will be, although all that being apart will make them sad and lonely, for sure. But people who don't want to be together and who don't want to be faithful will use that apartness as an excuse and an opportunity.

The guy waited until you were out of town to get the hotel room. If his motives were as pure as he claims, then I suspect it would not have happened while you were oh so conveniently away. If he was just buddies with this gal, then it would all be on the up and up -- he would have told you, hey, my friend is scared and needs a place to sleep, I'm going to spend $XX to help her out. But he did not do this.

I'm sorry, but I don't think that his affair is over. I'm sorry, I really am. I am sorry for you and for your children, who are 100% innocent in all of this. This is not what they signed on for, and it's not what you signed on for, either.
0 Replies

Foxy1983

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 05:52 am
Deep down, you know how you truly feel about this man, and whether you can trust him again, or whether you want to trust him again....
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 07:51 am
PS I thought about this a little more. If you really want confirmation -- and you will probably not like what you hear, but so be it -- contact the hotel and ask what the single and double occupancy rates are. Mention that you have a bill that you are checking, because, well, you are.

The hotel will probably not tell you who stayed where or when but they want to sell rooms and will tell you the rate, and it's always more for double than single occupancy unless there's some sort of a special going on (I doubt your husband shopped around for a deal or anything).

And then you will know for sure. What you do with that information is your own business.
0 Replies