Sex: Natural or Social?

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 07:01 pm
By Paul Andrew Bourne

Is sexual activities as a result of socialization or a natural act?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,332 • Replies: 19
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 07:17 pm
Without sexual activities the human race would be dead within a hundred years - or it would never have evolved in the first place. But I like it just for kicks.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 07:48 pm
Re: Sex: Natural or Social?
paul andrew bourne wrote:
Is sexual activities [sic] as [sic] a result of socialization or a natural act?

Surely some combination of both. If we absolutely must place sex within this binary, I'd say the act itself is mostly natural but the circumstances under which it happens is mostly social.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 07:58 pm
nasty!
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 08:00 pm
dyslexia wrote:
nasty!

Haha... yes, it can be that too.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 08:35 pm
Sex. I can't wait to try it.

With a donkey.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 08:42 pm
NickFun wrote:
Without sexual activities the human race would be dead within a hundred years - or it would never have evolved in the first place.

Ok, Nick, I am going to try to disprove your theory. Let's say a kid is born the instant I finish typing this particular sentence. Ok, there he is. Now, let us assume after this sentence is typed all sexual activity on the planet comes to a standstill for the rest of time. Let us also assume that there are no test tube babies in the future or anything beyond the realm of natural birth.

Back to the baby that was born in my second sentence. What if he lives to the ripe old age of 108?

YOU EVER THINK ABOUT THAT, NICK?!!!!!

(I hate it when A2K members try to sneak stuff past my scientific mind.)
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 09:04 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
...Now, let us assume after this sentence is typed all sexual activity on the planet comes to a standstill for the rest of time.... Back to the baby that was born in my second sentence. What if he lives to the ripe old age of 108?

Why would he want to?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 09:10 pm
Are you proposing suicide, Joe?
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 09:35 pm
Gus is absolutely correct. Just to be safe, let's make it 132 years.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 09:57 pm
sex for reproduction with one mate is natural... sex with only one mate for life is unnatural... the really fun sex is social and the more unnatural the more fun..... or so I've been told....
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 05:06 pm
Actually, I have to take issue with Gus statement. Anyone over the age of 100 would need prescriptions and medical care and most likely will be unable to take care of themselves. If the child lived to be 100 then all possible caregivers, including pharmacy manufacturers, would either be dead or requiring care themselves. Thus, no one could live to be 108. My theory stands.
0 Replies

paul andrew bourne

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 06:17 pm
By Paul Andrew Bourne

A theory is not a discourse, or a discussion between or among people. Hence, let us keep the discourse at the highest level that if a theory develops, we are eternally honoured by the communication process.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 06:40 pm
Yaaaaas.

Sex = Natural

Sexual Mores = Social

More Sex = Better, freer Societies

Less Sex = membership in the GOP

That about sums it up.

Joe Nation
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 06:47 pm
Is being social unnatural?
0 Replies

paul andrew bourne

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 06:48 pm
'Sex=Natural'
By Paul Andrew Bourne

The mathematical symbol equality (i.e. '=') does not denote a theory. Of itself 'sex = natural' connotes a replacement of a phenomenon. If you had written Sex = f(Natural), then a discourse on a theorem could begin.

Your symbolism failed to adequately forward a perspective theory on the matter.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 07:31 pm
We are only doing equations thus far. Patience.

Joe(we approach infinity together)Nation
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 03:32 am
If sex is natural why is there such a large beautification industry.

On stud farms they have to employ stable girls to get the horses interested and I have seen the performance and the mares carry on eating the grass. They don't even prick their ears.

Then there's the pandas.

And just meditate on the contortions for a moment and the **** that goes down in the aftermath if you want to get an angle on the social side of things.

I passed a nunnery yesterday. The Convent of the Carmelite Sisters a little sign said. What goes on in those places. Why such a discreet sign?

Have you seen the ads for vibrators? They are both unnatural and anti-social as far as I can tell. No man can be expected to match the range and performance.

It's a business. Which, I suppose is natural and social.

It's mighty confusing. Are we men being taken for a ride?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 04:10 am
Sex is one of the oddest inventions of evolution. Lesser, much lesser, creatures than humans get by, or procreate, by merely splitting in two. Now that would be something to watch if humans did it that way, or would it?

"Henry, take the children inside, half the people at that party next door making other halves."

The whole process of sex is a natural urge, followed closely by a huge set er, wait- I was distracted there while I thought about a huge set-- of rules to follow. In humans, there must be cuddling. Hardly any cuddling going on elsewhere in the sexual world. Chimps mate and then off they go to munch leaves or twigs. Gorillas sometimes get a pat on the back, literally, from their partner before lounging ensues. Humans on the other hand almost always have to have some post-coitial snuggling. I suspect that that too is some kind of evolutionary invention or maybe it's just the company I keep.

Joe('Cuse me, my arm is completely numb from being under you)Nation
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 08:57 am
Pardon me Joe, Bonobo's which are closely related to Chimpanzees, have sex for fun and socializing. They are also the only animals, except for humans, that have sex face on. Dolphins also have sex "just for kicks" with no immediate desire to procrate.
0 Replies