Blood pressure monitors

Noddy24

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 11:40 am
I'm under erratic, severe stress in my personal life and my colorful, efficient adrenalin glands are playing merry hell with my blood pressure.

I'm hoping to avoid drugs by losing weight and learning serenity, but meanwhile I'm supposed to monitor my blood pressure at home.

Once upon a time I had a jim-dandy wrist unit that worked perfectly. Then after 7 years of faithful service, it up and died.

Now the wrist units at the local drugstores come with a read-outbox that is too wide for my 5 1/2 inch wrist. I've also tried the wrap-the-upper arm monitors. These only work about 20% of the time and dealing with them sends my blood pressure up to new heights.

Also, because of a lumpectomy I can only use my left arm for B.P. readings. I'm left handed, but am making progress in non-dominent-hand dexterity.

Can anyone recommend a no-hassle, Luddite-friendly home blood pressure monitor that will work around bird bones?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 902 • Replies: 15
No top replies

flyboy804

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 01:35 pm
Noddy, from your post I assume you have not checked on the models currently on the market. Most companies have fully automatic models that don't require adjusting it to your arm with every use. You adjust it once to fit your arm (You can do this with it off your arm; it might take two tries) and that's that. Slip it on your arm. Press a button and in less than a minute read your B.P. and heart rate. I've had an Omron for three years and have never had a problem. I think it cost in the vicinity of $50-$60. You can get them a bit cheaper if you are willing to pump it up yourself. The semi-automatic that I have does the pumping for you.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 01:39 pm
For you Noddy, I measured my wrist. I have a 6 in wrist and the wrist BP monitor at CVS fits me well. Have you tried that one?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 01:42 pm
oh noddy. Im sorry to hear you are having problems.

One of the easiest for me to use, and worked on many diffrent sizes of wrists was a Quick Response .

I googled it and this is the model I remember -
http://www.lifesourceonline.com/and_med.nsf/html/WEBB6FKQFC/$FILE/787acDatasheet.pdf

you should be able to find it for under 100.00
Though, I am not sure where exactly..
I do not believe these are sold in walgreens.

It inflates by itself and it has an easy on/off velcro wrist band.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 01:51 pm
No useful information, but wanted to add to the "Hey, blood pressure, be good to our Noddy!" chorus.

Hold that dominion.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 04:51 pm
Noddy, I found a web site that carries three manufacturers bp monitors in both wrist and arm models. They also mention a finger device but I didn't see it.

Here's a link to one product that is rated for wrists as small as 5.3 inches. wrist monitor

Do you need something smaller?
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 04:55 pm
I'm kibitzing. I need one, too. Damn, it sucks getting old.

I'm holding mine. Hold your dominion, Noddy.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 04:57 pm
... and here's a site that compares/sells two finger units.

finger bp monitors
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 11:40 am
Thanks, all.

You've provided material for research. I also want to make a trip to the library to see whether Consumer Reports has looked at home BP Monitors.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 04:17 pm
Happy endings.

Mr. Noddy decided that the quality control in Asian factories might be a little slack. He betook himself to K-Mart and checked every blood pressure monitor in stock. Sure enough, one unit came with a strap that could be tightened around a 5 1/2" wrist.

The Sales Clerk said no one had ever done that before and "Hey, what is blood pressure, anyway?" She had a teaching moment.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 05:59 am
I don't think that the wrist or finger models are always as accurate as the upper arm models.

Webpage Title

I have an automatic inflate Omron that I've used for years. They make many different models, and I think Omron is a fairly good make to buy. They are generally rated very highly for accuracy, but I would stick with an upper arm model with an auto-inflate cuff. The left arm is the preferred arm to use according to their instructions.

It is a good idea to take the new machine with you to the doctor's office, and use it there yourself at least five minutes before the doctor takes your reading. Then compare the results to get some idea of the accuracy of your machine.

Try to check your BP at the same time each day, so you can get a good idea of your average reading. Many different factors can produce transient variations in BP, and what you really need to know is your average range of scores at the same time each day.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 06:16 am
Quote:
I don't think that the wrist or finger models are always as accurate as the upper arm models.

I agree with firefly. I was also told that by my doctor. I have the Omron HEM 780. It is nice, because the arm cuff is made in such a way that you don't have to wrestle with it to get in on your arm.

Link to Omron HEM 780

This bp cuff has a memory, but only one. If you want a memory for two people, there are models that do that.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 06:17 am
Firefly--

The advantage of an October/November marriage is that I can use Mr. Noddy as a control group for checking the accuracy of a B.P. Monitor.

Thanks for the advice.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 01:03 pm
Phoenix, I'm gonna order that monitor on your advice...I looked and on amazon its $63 and CVS it $110.

We need a new one.

Thanks
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 01:11 pm
I fully agree with firefly. I used to work for about 15 years for companies that made blood pressure monitors.

I do not recommend the finger units. They are a nice toy and might be able to give you a trend of your blood pressure. But if you have problems and need to have exact results, I would suggest getting an upper arm model and the Omron units are good.

If you use the wrist model, be sure to hold your wrist at heart level when measuring. That's very important. An upper arm cuff is automatically at heart level.

Take good care of yourself, Noddy!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 11:52 pm
Amazon has the Life Source UA 787AC for $55 bucks. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000B69R2A/104-2538086-4843102?v=glance
0 Replies