ehBeth

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 04:40 pm
ok - you might as well sleep on a bag of potatoes on the floor if you're going to get an 11" thick futon.

The aerobed is a comfortable, though I'm not sure what your big black shiny one might do to it <is he back with you now?>

The daybeds with trundles actually turn into kingsize beds - and all you need is a good mattress topper. Two single boxsprings are what you find under a king-size mattress in most homes, as a king-size boxspring is 1. prohibitively expensive and 2. impossible to get into most rooms.

I'd agree that a lot of daybeds are, mmmmmm, to be nice- sweetly icky - but some of them verge on androgenous if not butch

http://images.daybeds.com/images/products/large/RN134.jpg

http://images.daybeds.com/images/products/large/HL468.jpg
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 07:57 am
The only problem with the daybed/trundle idea is you are dealing with two separate mattresses. We have one as a guest bed and people have complained about falling into the "ravine" in the middle of the night. My girlfriend and her 7 year old daughter were sharing it one time and we awoke to the panic cries of a child being crushed between two mattresses. When making up the bed for two you would have to make up the bed with a good solid mattress cover and double/queen size sheet to avoid the worst of the ravine problem. You would also have to buy twin size sheets for solo sleep and double/queen size sheets for the duel purpose of sleep and romance. Maybe you should just plan on having sex on the floor or up against a wall.

Have you ever slept on a futon? It's about as comfortable as a bunk bed at summer camp. Go find a seduce a college student who has one and you will see what I mean.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 11:06 am
GW - the site I got those daybed pix from have a very cool combining thingie to prevent the ravine in the middle.

<I'm now getting kinda interested in the concept to replace my ancient living room sofabed - so did more research>

ahhhhhhh found it

blockandtackle

http://images.daybeds.com/images/products/large/CDK001.jpg

Quote:
Need a safe and quick solution to comfortably join twin beds? The Create A King bed doubling system features an 8.5 inch wide poly sheepskin strip that softly pads the area where the beds meet. Strong 2 inch side belts snap onto the sheepskin and buckle together to hold the mattresses safely in place. Fits all twin mattresses 39 inches wide and up to 80 inches in length to create a king size bed. Belts may be removed for easy washing.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 11:20 am
That's a cool dealie.

Yeah, my friend who has and recommended the pop-up trundle swore by it. He said that his guests absolutely loved it. It was a leading contender for solution to The Couch/ Guest Bed Problem we've had, but we'd be using it (and I mean USING it, we spend a lot of time in here) as a couch the vast majority of the time, and I don't like daybeds much for sitting on. OK, but not great.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 11:42 am
I'd been looking at sorta Mission-style seating - and then I saw this one - goes with the Flintstones chairs I had made years ago

hmmmmmmmm

http://images.daybeds.com/images/products/large/LLM022.jpg

<I've learned that body pillows, or two king-size pillows make a good back for a sofa - where the original pillows/cushions were destroyed by a puppy - so comfiness can be maintained>
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 11:56 am
My mom had a pop up trundle. I slept on it plenty of times in her study/guest room #2. It could be a great solution for Kicky, but I wonder if there's room in the alcove for the extended version. If you can barely walk around a double bed, a king-size probably won't fit at all.

You're right about body pillows or big bolsters solving the depth issue for sitting on a daybed, bethie.

I have a twin Aerobed for niece/nephew sleepovers. It plugs in for inflating, so batteries aren't an issue. I have the low kind because the kids don't care, but the raised version would be a great improvement for adults.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 06:55 am
Re: FUTONS
kickycan wrote:
But if futons aren't comfortable to sleep on, then I'm not gonna do it. I need to have something comfortable to sleep on.

Have you been futon sampling?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 07:02 am
My son had a futon that was just as comfortable as any mattress that I have slept on. I think that it is a matter of trying the piece out, and avoiding the "cheapies".
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 09:58 am
I think I'm going to go futon-sampling this weekend. I'm not sure about this futon idea at all now. Maybe it's just too much money to go out and get a good one. I don't know if I want to spend a thousand bucks on this idea.

a thousand dollars

or

continue to live with the semi-crappy, but not completely terrible arrangement I have now

Hmmm....I'm still going to at least have a look.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 11:11 am
Futons are the work of the devil. Two or three futons I slept on (one for two weeks) were horrid.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 12:39 pm
Truthfully ... most aerobeds I've slept on have been MUCH more comfortable than ANY futon - and you can get a decent double-sized one in Manhattan for about $150.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 01:47 pm
I actually already have a bed that you pump up. Maybe I should test it out. I still don't know if I see myself pumping my bed up every night and then letting the air out every morning. That's the only way it would really accomplish what I want, which is more space.

Hmmm...it's a longshot, but I'm still thinking about it.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 02:13 pm
You could get a loft bed

http://homefinefurniture.com/images/Metal-Loft-Bed500.jpg
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 02:15 pm
http://img.alibaba.com/img/product/photobank/c/du/cdufault/offer/1115918044637.jpg
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 02:27 pm
This looks good too

http://www.livingathome.de/wohnen_einrichten/magazin/gaeste/images/05huelsta.jpg
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 06:49 pm
Okay, kiddies, I didn't get a futon this weekend, and, in fact, didn't even look at them. But, I'm glad I didn't, actually, because instead, I fixed this nook/alcove space up a little bit. I moved some things around, bought a little stereo, moved a dresser, rearranged things a couple times, tried to make things a little more comfortable, you know?

It looks a little better now. I'm getting there. Now I have to decide if it's worth it to get a new futon/bed/other bedding option.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 06:51 pm
Did ya wear yer "I'm a metrosexual and I'm proud of it" underpants while you were decorating? Cool

~~~~~~

I'm sure that with your fine design esthetic it looks charming.

<are the blinds up?>
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 07:04 pm
Actually I decorate in the nude, ehBeth. I thought you'd have guessed that about me by now.

Oh, yeah, I got some blue curtains--well, technically, when I went to see Joe, I had these kind of light brown-ish ones, but when I put them up I thought they made it more dingy, so I went back and exchanged them. They are wrinkled though, so I have to take them down at some point and fix that situation, but they're looking okay. And I got a bamboo-ish blind for the bigger window in the main living area, and I must say, that was a good purchase.

Okay, I'm thinking of moving the couch now...time to take off this bra and garter belt and get to work!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 09:22 pm
Shocked
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 10:58 am
Have you got a steam iron, kix?

If you do, just steam the curtains while they're hanging instead of taking them down to unwrinkle them.
0 Replies