Treya

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 11:38 am
Thank you Wy... I appreciate the info. Nice to meet you by the way... I don't remember seeing you around... LOL
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 11:40 am
That's what I meant about converting to a queen, Kicky. Actually a double though I think, not a queen.

Here's an example (ugly, just for idea):

http://a602.g.akamai.net/7/602/175/2006012712/cache3.jcpenney.com/images/regular/0900631b80675d2aR.jpg

See, that second, lower mattress pops up to the same level, and then it becomes a double bed. With a mattress pad over both, it's just like a regular double bed.

The transition would be awkward, but how would you plan on handling that, anyway? Sweet talk, kisses, and then fiddling with whatever version of couch you have until it's a bed...?
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 11:42 am
kickycan wrote:
I've seen Murphy beds in Manhattan. Yeah, that's waaay too expensive and waaaay too much work to set up.

I don't want to get a smaller bed, because who is going to want to sleep with me in a little twin bed? That's just crazy talk. If I got a smaller bed, it would be the equivalent of giving up on sex totally. And although my hopes are dimming, I am NOT ready to give up on the poonani yet!

Well Kickycan... If you bought a nicer futon and weren't sleeping on it every night... only using it for "extra-curricular" activities... It might last you a little longer than a year. Look at is as an investment. If you get the use you want out of it for a longer period of time it might be worthy of the money you put into it. LOL
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 11:53 am
Hmmm...stuff to think about. As for Soz' (should that be "Soz's"?) question, I was thinking that if I ever get a date again, I would set the bed up before I go out, so it would be all ready for action.

Who said they only last a year? Come on, that can't be right.

I'm NOT getting a Murphy bed. I can't be building space into the wall and hooking up flipping mechanisms and all that stuff! I'm no handyman.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 11:55 am
I guess that daybed idea is an outside possibility. But I have a bias against them for some reason. I think most of those things are ugly, and they remind me of something that would be in somebody's grandmother's house. They remind me of the inevitability of death somehow.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 11:56 am
sozobe wrote:
That's what I meant about converting to a queen, Kicky. Actually a double though I think, not a queen.

Here's an example (ugly, just for idea):

http://a602.g.akamai.net/7/602/175/2006012712/cache3.jcpenney.com/images/regular/0900631b80675d2aR.jpg

See, that second, lower mattress pops up to the same level, and then it becomes a double bed. With a mattress pad over both, it's just like a regular double bed.

The transition would be awkward, but how would you plan on handling that, anyway? Sweet talk, kisses, and then fiddling with whatever version of couch you have until it's a bed...?

You could be sitting there with a girl and suddenly say "Hey! What the F@CK is pokin' me in the ASS? Wow, I never noticed this lever because.......HOLY SH!T LOOK! This thing folds out into a double bed!.....Wha......?

When I was a little girl I always wanted to be that little girl on the Castro commerical. She just seemed so competent, unfolding the bed and all, and in her NIGHTIE no less!

Then, she got to jump up and down on it.....<sigh> oh well, some things just weren't meant to be....

I wanted a Murphy Bed too, so someone could fold me up into the wall....wow, that would've been cool too.

Think of it Kicky....It would be like James Bond...You could get a girl in a bikini like Jill St. John or Ursula Andress to lay down on the Murphy Bed, and you could close it up into the wall. Then, when you have buddies over for poker or something, you could say...."hey, joenation, look what I got here...."

I guarantee he would be SO impressed.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 12:03 pm
Ha! That would be the height of cool...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 12:05 pm
The mattress is what matters most, I think. Like this one that I saw on Craigslist looks good. 11 inches thick. That's like the best you can get, isn't it?

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/fur/136311768.html
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 12:08 pm
Wow... niiiiicee... I wonder how well it bends though to be in the couch position? You notice they aren't showing it on the frame eh?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 12:10 pm
I know what you mean about daybeds. I've been struggling with this basic problem since we moved here -- we need someplace for guests to sleep and we need a couch in the family room, so I've been trying to combine those two needs in the most efficient and cheap way possible. Considered the day bed / trundle pop-up thing, but I just don't really like day beds for sitting on. Too deep. Plus we like to sit in the corners of couches, and something about people's butts being where sleeper's heads are going to go is, like, gross.

What we've settled on for now is a raised Aerobed, like I mentioned before. I dunno how prohibitive battery costs would be with all that inflating and deflating, but for a guest bed, it's pretty darn cool:

http://www.comfortchannel.com/prod.itml/icOid/images/Aero_Raised_B.jpg

With that dust ruffle, you put normal linens on top and it looks like a regular bed.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 12:12 pm
That's a cool mattress, kicky, but it doesn't look particularly bendable.

What exactly are you going for, here? Ideal situation is: ?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 12:14 pm
Just re-read -- the point seems to be something transformable, or else you could just keep your double bed.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 12:15 pm
I agree sozobe an aerobed is a good option too. I actually prefer that over our $200 futon. (Though I may be looking into the futon mattress kicky posted the link to... Depending how bendable it is...) They have automatic pumps on them so they inflate and deflate easily. They are raised up off the ground even higher than a regular mattress and boxspring sitting on the floor. And they are totally adjustable for comfort. A little bit more challenging though for Kicky's intended use. LOL
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 12:25 pm
kickycan wrote:

Oh Kicky! Finally you've come home!

You left the Murphy Bed down again, and I had to lie here thinking about you All Day!

http://www.artdeco-basel.ch/Presse/Sam_Shaw/Ursula_Andress.jpg
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 12:28 pm
Yeah, I don't know about the bendability of that mattress, but I think I want it mostly for the bed use anyway. The only reason I'm even considering this is to save space. I hate the way this alcove area feels right now. There's barely enough room to walk around the bed, because it's such a ridiculously small area. Kind of depressing. If I could live with a twin bed, that would be ideal, actually, but I'm not going to do that.

I probably should just go to a futon place and look this weekend. The more I keep looking online, the more ugly crap I see. I actually saw some daybeds at Pottery Barn that looked somewhat modern-ish and almost cool, but nothing bigger than a twin bed. Crap.

Maybe I should re-think this. Maybe I could just move the couch I have now into that back area, and set it up like a little cool alcove of love, and put my bed in the main room. That seems a little weird though. Basically I'd have my bedroom in the living room space, and the living room in the space that should be for the bed. Hmmm...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 12:29 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
kickycan wrote:

Oh Kicky! Finally you've come home!

You left the Murphy Bed down again, and I had to lie here thinking about you All Day!

http://www.artdeco-basel.ch/Presse/Sam_Shaw/Ursula_Andress.jpg

Sweet.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 12:33 pm
One thing I found when I was looking for pop-up trundle stuff is that they sell the pop-up thingie separately. So, for example, you could:

- get a cool daybed at Pottery Barn
- get the trundle pop-up mechanism separately
- get another twin mattress

Then you'd be able to convert the PB daybed into a king bed by sliding out the trundle and popping it up -- but that's got to add up, $$-wise.

Actually, other option is to forget the daybed idea, get a twin bed and bedframe with enough space underneath for a trundle, then have just a regular bed (twin) most of the time, and extend it to a king bed with the pop-up dealie.

Hmm....
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 12:38 pm
kickycan wrote:
Yeah, I don't know about the bendability of that mattress, but I think I want it mostly for the bed use anyway. The only reason I'm even considering this is to save space. I hate the way this alcove area feels right now. There's barely enough room to walk around the bed, because it's such a ridiculously small area. Kind of depressing. If I could live with a twin bed, that would be ideal, actually, but I'm not going to do that.

I probably should just go to a futon place and look this weekend. The more I keep looking online, the more ugly crap I see. I actually saw some daybeds at Pottery Barn that looked somewhat modern-ish and almost cool, but nothing bigger than a twin bed. Crap.

Maybe I should re-think this. Maybe I could just move the couch I have now into that back area, and set it up like a little cool alcove of love, and put my bed in the main room. That seems a little weird though. Basically I'd have my bedroom in the living room space, and the living room in the space that should be for the bed. Hmmm...

The nice thing is they sell covers for the futon mattresses too. So if you didn't like how it looked you could just find a solid colored cover for it. I understand the frustration though. My "spare bedroom" is only 7' by 10'. Not a lot of room in there for anything beside the futon and a little table. And if the futon is down... well... LOL you just launch yourself from the doorway onto the bed... bwaaaaa hahaha! I really need a bigger place. Though I guess I don't mind sacrificing a little floor space for a nice big yard for my dog to run in for now.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 12:39 pm
sozobe wrote:
Actually, other option is to forget the daybed idea, get a twin bed and bedframe with enough space underneath for a trundle, then have just a regular bed (twin) most of the time, and extend it to a king bed with the pop-up dealie.

Hmm....

You might have something there. Gotta think about it.

Okay, I'm just posting this link here because I sorta like it and I don't want to forget where or what it is.

http://www.futons.net/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1845
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 04:15 pm
The ceiling is such wasted space. Why cant we have beds suspended from the ceiling and then theyd just fold up or lift out of your way.
0 Replies