Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 12:07 am
I'm thinking of getting a futon for my little alcove/bedroom. The problem is that the space I have for my bed is an alcove space which is about seven feet wide by about 10 feet long. So it's super-cramped in there with the double bed, but I think if I had a futon, it could be transformed into a pretty cool little cave of seduction...hey, I can dream, can't I?

But if futons aren't comfortable to sleep on, then I'm not gonna do it. I need to have something comfortable to sleep on.

So, anyone know anything about futons or have any futon experience? What do you think about futons?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,174 • Replies: 62
No top replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 12:15 am
Futons..

http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~japanese/japanpicturegallery/lesson21/futon.jpg
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 12:22 am
Kickycan,

Futons are a good thing as long as you get the right one. They have some good futons out there... but you need to be willing to shell out a few extra $$$ to get one that has a good mattress. The standard mattress that comes on one that would be bought at say walmart or something is no good. I went to the futon store in the mall though and wow... the difference was unbelievable. The mattress's were much thicker. The Futons at the mall started somewhere around $600 I think. And they have all kinds of pretty patterns that would be appeasing to women who visited! :wink:
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 08:46 am
No No NO futons are not for grown-ups! You are too old for a futon. I stopped sleeping on futons (mine and theirs) when I turned 22. Futons equal immaturity and impermanence. Get or create a real big boy bed.

The idea of making a "sexy nest" out of alcove is a good one. I have seen really well done versions of this, but they take more imagination and maybe some carpentry to pull it off. Can you do permanent additions if you check with the landlord? I had a friend that had a bed built in an alcove that looked like something from the middle ages, but with storage and lighting. Go to Google hit "images" and type in "bed alcove" for more ideas.
http://www.choicecompanies.com/images/cabinets/san_bed.gif
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 09:10 am
How about a Castro Convertible?

They're cool to jump up and down on....chicks dig that.

Who is the first to conquer space?
It's incontrovertible
That the first to conquer living space
Is the Castro Convertible
Who conquers space with fine design?
Who saves you money all the time?
Who's tops in the convertible line?
...Castro Convertible

http://www.splia.org/images/Dsc00065.jpg
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 09:26 am
Green Witch wrote:
Futons equal immaturity and impermanence.

Well, I don't want to give off the impression of immaturity (though I am immature), but impermanence...yeah, that describes this apartment (and pretty much describes me too) to a tee.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 09:28 am
Heph, thanks for the good advice. I'm looking into it. Chai, I don't know about those convertible beds--but are they as easy to pull out to a bed as a futon is? I wonder...
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 09:28 am
My ex had a futon.
It was horrid,the most uncomfortable bed ever!!
I had to sleep on 2 huge cushions about half a foot above him just so I couldnt feel the slats underneath.

If you get a futon, dont expect me to spend the night with you Kicky,or we are over, I tell you OVER!!!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 09:29 am
I still vote for a real bed, even the portable kind. Chai has a good idea with the convertable, but most people tend to be lazy about closing them up each day.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 09:35 am
Dont get a sofa bed either, I had one as I thought it would be a good ida re space but after a while you can reallt feel the frame underneath you.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 09:35 am
Ah, Kicky is getting a Flip n' F*ck.

HA!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 10:21 am
We just got rid of our futon, it served us well over some 14 years. Problem is, you have two basic kinds -- thick and expensive (ours) that DOESN'T fold into a couch shape easily -- or thin and inexpensive, that folds fine but is horribly uncomfortable. We used ours as a bed most of the time -- just stayed flat -- but when we were using it as a couch slash guest bed (sorry, guests) it started to get uncomfortable dents where it folded. If you were doing that ALL the time, I can't imagine it staying comfy.

Maybe an Aerobed? They are comfortable, and they have new ones that are raised/ bed-sized, and they automatically inflate/ deflate in a matter of minutes.

If you can stand to have a smaller bed, a daybed is a good option. (Twin mattress that can be used as a couch.) I had friends who had a cool daybed (probably expensive, not sure) that had a trundle that then raised up to make it a queen sized bed (two twin-sized mattresses right next to each other; with some queen-sized pad over both of 'em, worked great as a queen).
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 10:24 am
Maybe a Murphy Bed?

I've seen a couple of stores lately with signs saying they have them....There's a lot of people moving into lofts, so it must be getting popular again.

Actually, I've never seen one myself, have you?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 10:28 am
Murphy beds are way cool!

I've been assuming they're prohibitively expensive, but maybe not.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 11:24 am
ok... I have no idea what a murphy bed is... ahem... sorry LOL can someone please tell me?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 11:26 am
I've seen Murphy beds in Manhattan. Yeah, that's waaay too expensive and waaaay too much work to set up.

I don't want to get a smaller bed, because who is going to want to sleep with me in a little twin bed? That's just crazy talk. If I got a smaller bed, it would be the equivalent of giving up on sex totally. And although my hopes are dimming, I am NOT ready to give up on the poonani yet!
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 11:27 am
Futons are OK I suppose, but I much prefer dipping a piece of crusty bread into my soup.

If you use futons, I would suggest that you let them soak for a while, otherwise they are too crunchy.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 11:30 am
A Murphy bed is a bed that folds down out of the wall (or out of a piece of furniture). They come plain or fancy; the fancy ones look like bookshelves when they're folded up and sometimes have a table or desk that folds down when the bed is hidden.

The matress doesn't fold; it simply lowers from vertical to horizontal, so you don't get the dents and creases that you do from a futon or a hide-a-bed. I've slept on one -- the matress was cheap but it doesn't have to be. I think you could be quite comfortable.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 11:31 am
Ok nevermind I found it online... OMG this is so cool! I want one!

[img=http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/1451/month18a7bh.th.jpg]

[img=http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/783/month18c9us.th.jpg]

Edit... Dang it all I can't get the images to post... just the links... sorry, I'm clueless here. I hope it's ok for me to post the links...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 11:38 am
have room for a Murphy? you can nail pix to its underbottom and itll look like a wall, built in is even cooler. They make em motorized now.
We have some futons in our fireplace room and they lasted about a year . They were really uncomfortable even to watch TV, always had neck aches. We sold em at a yard sale. We only paid like 350 for them about 10 years ago.

ONE YEAR-thats all they lasted. In fact its a family time node.
"When did you get your arm broken" Well it was during the year we had the futons in the studio.
0 Replies