Arella Mae

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 10:24 am
AND WE ARE MAKING SOME NOISE NOW! Laughing

And you're welcome Joe.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 10:26 am
Joe Nation wrote:

Noise gets attention, persistent noise gets focused attention, sometimes resulting in actions that bring about justice.

Joe(start here)Nation

agreed.

But , this is already getting ALOT of noise. And it seems to not be doing much.

Is the court really going to be notified of a website containing signatures?

I hope so.. but more then likely not.

paper is better in a situation like this.. or a court appearance..

( still signed it anyway..)
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 10:28 am
Momma Angel wrote:
AND WE ARE MAKING SOME NOISE NOW! Laughing

And you're welcome Joe.

Maybe someone needs to go to the court room and bring a laptop

open up a2k

and show the thread.... Laughing

then again.. all of our sanity would be in question and it would be dismissed as evidence..
0 Replies

Arella Mae

shewolfnm,

I was thinking they will probably print out the petition and send it in? AT least I hope they do. Thanx for signing!
0 Replies

sozobe

The new phase will start February 27th, I believe -- I think signatures would probably help that happen, but since it's already happening, I think the main thing signatures would do is convince everyone involved in the trial to look sharp because the world is watching. Which is fine, as outcomes go (especially considering the performance of Maye's first attorney).
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 10:30 am
great point.

the world IS watching..
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 10:40 am
joefromchicago wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Thanks for showing up Joe. Really. Do you think there's any chance this man will really be executed? I'd like to think that's extremely unlikely from what's been presented so far. I'd really like to hear your honest opinion... absent your anti-death-penalty beliefs... if possible.

I have no idea. Texas executes inmates whose attorneys fell asleep during their trials, so I suppose anything is possible. I just don't understand why you pro-death penalty folks are getting particularly exercised about this case. As I pointed out above, it's barely distinguishable from dozens of other previous death penalty cases. Where was your outrage then?

And -- because I'm not a trusting soul, I suppose -- is anyone else wondering why this is more or less just something out of the blogosphere? And when it's attached to anything like the mainstream media, it seems to be connected to but one person, Radley Balko. Perhaps this is just Balko's way of making a name for himself. This whole thing has been around since at least mid-December of last year, see: http://www.freemarketnews.com/Feedback.asp?nid=1932

So why the sudden surge in interest, particularly if few are talking about this in the mainstream media? Oh yeah, one person is, see: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,184992,00.html , dated February 15, 2006. And, lookee what we have here -- byline by, can it be? Is it possible? Radley Balko. Keeps turning up in the darnedest of places.

Regardless of guilt or innocence, or the death penalty, or knock and announce, or the many other folks on Death Row who probably shouldn't be there, or the price of peas in Poughkeepsie, am I the only person who smells this and gets the unpleasant whiff of someone manipulating the 'Net and seeing how much free publicity they can get? I don't mean Maye. I mean Balko.

Who's Balko? According to http://www.cato.org/people/balko.html he's a Policy Analyst for the Cato Institute. Basically, he traffics in libertarianism. See: http://www.theagitator.com/resume.php He reportedly gets about 10,000 hits on his blog/day (according to him). I wonder how many he's getting with the Maye story.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 10:48 am
From what I've tracked down, it seems legit. My take is more towards Joe's -- that it happens all the time, and this one is getting interest. I think it's getting interest for the facts of it, but especially for the Second Amendment/ NRA angle -- it's unusual in that it's an issue that is usually conservative/ Right-leaning (the right to bear arms, the right to defend yourself) combined with an issue that is usually liberal/ left-leaning (the problems with the death penalty).

I think this is a big part of why it's getting so much attention -- but yeah, my antennae are quivering, just haven't found anything particularly problematic (in terms of whether the story happened approximately as Balko says it has) yet. That's in a lot of looking, but I'm still keeping an eye open.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 10:51 am
Oh, I have no problem with the story being legit. I s'pect stuff like that happens all the time. But I also question - why this? Why now? And what's the real motivation behind making it a topic of convo? I'm not questioning Fedral's motives, but I am questioning Balko's.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 10:51 am
Sozobe,

You haven't run across a writing address have you? Thought I'd write a letter to Cory.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 10:55 am
Oh, I'd believe that Balko is trying to be a Woodward & Bernstein -- what blogger doesn't want to be? Just, if it's legit, I don't care that much. I think it's likely that is what's giving it legs is the political combo aspect. The whole spectre of jackbooted thugs breaking your door down for no good reason and, when you try to defend your family by reaching your gun, you get the death penalty on the one (right) hand; and a poor black guy who couldn't afford adequate legal representation being railroaded onto death row, on the other (left) hand.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 10:57 am
I think the blogosphere is working the way it is supposed to, a writer/reporter/blogger (is that in descending order?) finds a story and follows it. If the reporting is timely, fair and factual the efforts may be rewarded by others reading other writings by that reporter and who knows, maybe generate a little income for him while the rest of us get the benefit of the information in his articles.

There is something off about this scenario? I don't think so.

Joe(We gather at the barricades holding our laptops high.)Nation
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 12:24 pm
Fedral wrote:
As to why THIS case ? I actually stated it earlier, if you bothered to read it...

I look at what this person did and ask if:
A) I thought what they did was wrong
B) Would I have done anything different.

My answer to it in the case of Mr. Maye was a double NO.

Sorry, but I find that your shouts of indignation ring a little hollow when you endorse the death penalty while, at the same time, you deplore a result that the flawed death penalty system routinely produces. As I said before, the surprise here is not that Maye was sentenced to death, but that anyone is surprised by that verdict.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 12:28 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
And Joe, there may have been dozens of other cases, as you said, but for whatever reason, I didn't hear about them or I just didn't know. That's not an excuse. I should have known. Fedral brought this to our attention and it grabbed me.

You're right: you should have been paying attention.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 12:39 pm
First result I got when Googling "death row travesties":

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A20742-2004Nov29.html

Quote:
In the national debate on capital punishment, much has been made of lawyers who show up in court drunk or sleep through testimony or do such paltry or inept work as to violate their clients' constitutional rights.

But there is another equally daunting issue for indigent inmates with lives on the line: the lack of any lawyer at all. As their cases wend their way through appeals, as state and federal deadlines and hearings come and go and executions near, the Constitution guarantees no right of legal assistance.

The result is a system rooted in crisis. The ABA and other groups estimate that hundreds of inmates are without representation. And with the nation's death-row population nearing a record level and the appeals process still constricted by federal and state laws, soliciting pro bono counsel for them has become increasingly critical and difficult, Maher said.

-snip-

She mentioned, as she often does, her own representation of a young man sitting on death row in the South for a restaurant robbery gone horribly awry. He was 16, reckless and stupid, she said. His murder trial, start to finish, lasted just 1 1/2 days. His attorneys did no investigation; at sentencing, they presented a single witness.

-snip-

Virginia was shamed into legislative action in part by the case of Earl Washington Jr. The mentally retarded farmworker was just a couple of weeks away from execution when a cellmate persuaded a lawyer visiting their prison to intervene. With a New York firm's aid, Washington ultimately was cleared through DNA evidence.

-snip-

"It's a damn serious issue," said U.S. District Judge Martin Feldman of Louisiana, who has urged local lawyers to volunteer on inmates' appeals. "I am a supporter of the death penalty, but I'm a very strong believer in as just and fair and good representation as humanly possible of those who face the ultimate punishment."

-snip-

Schafer never sensed that advantage. He'd gotten involved in Anthony Keith Johnson's appeal to see how the system worked. His client had been the only suspect of four to be tried for a deadly home burglary. Authorities agreed that he was not the killer but sought his death nonetheless. "All I knew, almost from the outset, was that he hadn't had a fair trial, and that was more important to me than whether he was guilty," he recalled.

Johnson asked Schafer not to attend his lethal injection; the lawyer isn't sure he could have handled it anyway: "I just couldn't bear to watch the guy get killed. Maybe out of guilt for having lost the appeal. Maybe like I let him down."

He still chokes at the memory. He still displays the foot-high statue Johnson carved for him from bars of soap mixed with glue. It is an ivory Jesus, arms outstretched.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 01:35 pm
As of January 1, 2006 there were 3,373 inmates on death row source

Mr Meyes is not the only one who does not deserve to die.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 01:48 pm
Quote:
Experts estimate that about 10 percent of the 3,600 inmates on death row are mentally retarded[*]. In the U.S., 34 people who were known to be mentally retarded have been executed since the Supreme Court reinstated the death penalty in 1976.

Source: Raymond Bonner and Sara Rimer, "Executing the Mentally Retarded Even as Laws Begin to Shift," New York Times, August 7, 2000.

[*]
Quote:
Experts say that a person is mentally retarded who has a significantly subaverage intelligence -- generally defined as an I.Q. below 70 -- and who consequently has serious difficulties coping with routine aspects of daily life, in school and at work.
Also, the condition must have existed since childhood.

source for both: National Center for Policy Analysis - Idea House
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 02:59 pm
Well we cant afford to keep people who are mentally retarded can we?
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 03:04 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:

Could say something very offensive at this point, but I will refrain to avoid derailing the thread.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 03:14 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:

I this supposed to be funny?

Joe(Because it's not.)Nation
0 Replies