Please help save an innocent man from execution

mysteryman

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 05:41 pm
Fedral,
I am gonna link this to a few other boards I am on.
Like you,I 100% support the death penalty,but this is such a travesty I have to stand against this.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 05:42 pm
Way to go Mystery Man! Bless you!
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 06:23 pm
This is one reason I disagree with the death penalty. Innocent people are put to death. Even among those who are guilty I don't believe we should punish killers by killing them.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 06:39 pm
I have always been very conflicted about the death penalty. In cases such as Charles Manson, Jeffrey Dahmer, Ted Bundy, the Green River Killer, BTK, etc., yes, I wholeheartedly agree with the death penalty. However, in all these cases there was no doubt they were guilty. And in the case of Jeffrey Dahmer, there was no death penalty. Then in other cases where one person is killed do they deserve the same? I just don't know.

I do know I am extremely grateful for DNA evidence that has set free so many wrongly imprisoned for crimes they did not commit. Maybe we are at least on the right track in some respects.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 07:18 pm
One more signature.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 07:23 pm
http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/thumbup.gif
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 08:46 pm
Re: Please help save an innocent man from execution
Fedral wrote:
I was 100% behind the execution of Tookie Williams for the actual crimes he committed, but this case is a travesty of the first water.

Where are the hundreds of protestors, where are the Hollywood types throwing themselves in front of the cameras to help save this man?

Maybe they got sick and tired of vainly protesting in the face of opposition from people who are "100% behind capital punishment" despite the ample evidence that these types of cases are far from rare.

What do we have here? A guy who received ineffective assistance from an inexperienced, overworked public defender. A guy who didn't have money or political influence who was railroaded by a system that favors the rich and powerful. A guy who was prosecuted more to satisfy the public's mindless desire for vengence than to satisfy the requirements of justice. A guy sentenced to death on what appears to be false testimony. A black guy who was arrested by a police force, charged by a prosecutor, convicted by a jury, and sentenced by a judge, most of whom were white, for the crime of killing a white guy.

The question isn't: why is this guy on death row? The question is: why are any of you surprised?
----------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, by the way, recently a former sheriff's deputy was charged with murder in Marion County. He received a 20 year sentence, with 18 years suspended, so he will serve only two years in jail. The prosecutor was the same one who prosecuted Cory Maye. The judge was the same one who sentenced Maye to death. Source
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 09:48 pm
What? He considered his police record? Might have been nice if he had thought of the fact that Cory had no criminal record!

Heat of passion? Cory was protecting his family and his home! The more I hear about this the madder it makes me and more determined to do something!
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 11:08 pm
It's hard to believe that those in positions of power in the justice system ordered an innocent man sent to his death, rather than admit fault or plain stupidity on their part over the death of one of their own.

There should be a proper inquiry into why Jones (the deceased) was there in the first place. I read that he's been called a 'hero' by some. It's like a sick joke

Quote:
Jones, the son of Prentiss's then police chief, was not a regular member of the narcotics task force, but a K9 officer for the Prentiss police department. Trial testimony indicated that when Jones exited the apartment and fell to the ground outside, his pistol was holstered.*

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cory_Maye#Death_of_Officer_Jones

If Justice is done and the convicted freed - I hope he sues them all - to pay for his kid's education or something
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 11:58 pm
Thanks for showing up Joe. Really. Do you think there's any chance this man will really be executed? I'd like to think that's extremely unlikely from what's been presented so far. I'd really like to hear your honest opinion... absent your anti-death-penalty beliefs... if possible.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 01:05 am
bookmark
0 Replies

Kehoe

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 02:52 am
I was reading this thread earlier today,
and it makes me so sad that something like this could happen.
I'm in Australia, so, I don't know if my signing the petition would help any?
I would like to help.
I pray that this innocent man is not given the death penalty.
It's so clear that he's innocent.
I pray for him & any others who are innocently behind bars.
Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 05:24 am
I sent an E Mail to "60 Minutes". I hope that there is someone over there who will make some noise about this.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 08:02 am
Kehoe,

Actually, to me, someone outside the United States signing this would say 'THIS IS A WORLDWIDE CONCERN" in big letters! I say go for it!

Phoenix,

Marvelous! I know how well you put things. They can't help but pay attention.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 08:04 am
I sent an email out to everyone I know....if for no other reason than to show that the death penalty is not reserved for the worst of the worst offenders, as many people believe.

Even if this man is guilty of killing another human, which he is, he is NOT guilty of premeditating and murdering a police officer.

I am just afraid that because things move so slowly in the justice system, it will be too late for him by the time someone gets their head out of their ass and takes him off death row.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 08:20 am
Bella Dea,

I had that thought too at first. But, there are so many right now trying to right this wrong. Surely, it will make a difference. It has to. Great idea bout emailing everyone!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 08:20 am
Let us say, for argument's sake, that the man's conviction is overturned, and he is set free. Just look at the trauma, and disruption of his life that he has suffered.

As many of you may know, I am in favor of the death penalty, but only in the case of the most heinous crimes, where there are absolutely no mitigating circumstances, and there is not a shadow of a doubt that the person is guilty. In this case, I think that this guy was railroaded, because of whom he killed. The entire case stinks, like rotten fish!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 08:24 am
Phoenix,

I wholeheartedly agree with you. I am sure that Cory and his daughter and his family and friends have all suffered great emotional, financial, etc., stresses. I think the greatest remedy for that will be him going home to those people again.

Fedral has gotten us all so inspired to help this person and I think it's marvelous. United in a common cause for the good. Amazing.

Fedral, thanx again so much for telling us about Cory and his plight. God bless you.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 08:25 am
I'm not sure he will be set free. I think it depends on what the ruling is, but it is more likely that they will overturn the sentence than the conviction. Even so, I believe it will be sent back to the lower court for a new trial at best, Joe or Debra?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 08:33 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Thanks for showing up Joe. Really. Do you think there's any chance this man will really be executed? I'd like to think that's extremely unlikely from what's been presented so far. I'd really like to hear your honest opinion... absent your anti-death-penalty beliefs... if possible.

I have no idea. Texas executes inmates whose attorneys fell asleep during their trials, so I suppose anything is possible. I just don't understand why you pro-death penalty folks are getting particularly exercised about this case. As I pointed out above, it's barely distinguishable from dozens of other previous death penalty cases. Where was your outrage then?
0 Replies