Please help save an innocent man from execution

nimh

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 06:03 pm
Just following the discussion here, but O'Bill, could you reply to this point of Joe's as well?
joefromchicago wrote:
I would note, however, that only the second half of that graph suggests an inverse correlation between murder rates and executions. The first half, in contrast, shows a direct (downward) correlation. For you to argue that the graph supports a causative relationship between the lack of executions and murders, you would have to explain why the first half of the graph supports the complete opposite conclusion.

Also, this bit below puzzles me too. Kinda like it puzzled Walter. How can people who are on life without parole still end up killing many people? Is security within prisons that horribly bad? (And if that is so, wouldnt the problem be with bad prison security rather than with the concept of life-without-parole convictions itself?)

joefromchicago wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
In greater numbers thanks to a system that sets murderers free to kill again. This is where your position completely ignores the reality of the dilemma. Repeat offenders kill more innocent people than anyone's even hypothized the DP solution does.

Exactly how many murders have been committed by inmates who have received sentences of life imprisonment without the possibility of parole?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 06:07 pm
nimh wrote:

Also, this bit below puzzles me too. Kinda like it puzzled Walter. How can people who are on life without parole still end up killing many people? Is security within prisons that horribly bad? (And if that is so, wouldnt the problem be with bad prison security rather than with the concept of life-without-parole convictions itself?)

How would you like to be a prision guard in a facility populated with criminals who had nothing whatever to lose if they were to kill you?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 06:09 pm
Doesn't answer the question, tho... There are certainly ways to beef up security if that is such a problem.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 06:15 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
2) we issue these sentences only in the case of offenders who seem likely to murder again
I neither made this contention nor this suggestion, so I don't know where you got this one.

As I said, your stance that we use the death penalty to prevent repeat offenses implies number two. Didn't mean say that you said it.

Quote:
FreeDuck wrote:
If so, I disagree with all three of those.
Feel free to disagree till your heart's content. Many of my favorite people show a tendency to set aside reality in pursuit of their ideals when discussing subjects of this magnitude.

Do your favorite people know that you believe them to be setting aside reality?

Quote:
I can understand that, but, the reality remains; convicted murderers have killed a lot more innocent people post-conviction than the State has even been accused of... AND there can be no doubt that executed men can't repeat their offenses. If you can set aside your idealistic desires and examine the true statistics, unlike the "deterrent hypothesis", this is a simple matter of cold hard facts.

If you can't set aside your tendency to prematurely assess my position, then this will be a very long conversation. The only facts you've presented have been the graph you posted a few pages back. So if you have other facts that make this conclusion of yours indisputable, please bring them, I'm more than willing to look at the statistics. Otherwise, I have to assume that you're reading them in a way that aligns with your own idealistic desires.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 06:40 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
nimh wrote:

How would you like to be a prision guard in a facility populated with criminals who had nothing whatever to lose if they were to kill you?

Well, I'm not aware of rampant murder rates within prisons around here (at least not if you steer away from the former Soviet Union...), so there's obviously ways around this.

I'm still not entirely sure what Bill was referring to, mind you: to life-without-parolers who then committed murders within prisons, or to those who did get out, anyway, and then murdered. In the latter case, the issue again could either be one of another type of prison security (to prevent escape), or (if the persons in questions were released) about making it absolutely illegal to veer away from the "without parole" part of the sentence, or to even grant any kind of leave.

But say, the problem is in part one of no-parole-lifers killing within prison. Then there are ways around that, of course. For one, I dont know how many people go in one cell there, but the more people you hole up in one cell, the higher the risk of murder, I'd say.

I think the underlying issue on that count, therefore, is another one: money. Because some ways to increase prison-security might come at a stiff price. And one could argue that murderers don't deserve to have that kind of budget spent on them.

Of course, then you get on a wholly different plane of argument, ethically. The argument wouldnt any longer be: the lives of innocents executed in miscarriages of justice do not weigh up against the (allegedly) larger number of lives that would be taken by repeat-offenders if they escaped the death penalty. It would instead be: the lives of innocents executed in miscarriages of justice do not weigh up against the money that would have to be spent to prevent those murderers from getting the chance to murder again. Altogether less comfortable territory.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 07:29 pm
nimh wrote:
Just following the discussion here, but O'Bill, could you reply to this point of Joe's as well?
joefromchicago wrote:
I would note, however, that only the second half of that graph suggests an inverse correlation between murder rates and executions. The first half, in contrast, shows a direct (downward) correlation. For you to argue that the graph supports a causative relationship between the lack of executions and murders, you would have to explain why the first half of the graph supports the complete opposite conclusion.
Yes, Nimh, I will reply but I've pretty much decided not to stick a lot more time into this avenue of the debate because I believe the data isn't conclusive enough to sway any opinions. But here goes:
As the chart reflects: In 1960, there were 56 executions in the USA and under 10,000 murders. This is right about the time the Anti-DP campaign was really getting some traction. Prior to that; there was little doubt about what the ultimate punishment could be... so that period doesn't reflect any real inconsistencies. It wasn't until the DP debate began in earnest that the graph began to reflect a discrepancy. You'll notice DP cases had been on the decline for a long time and murder rates were around 10,000 in 1960. By 1969 the number of executions had dropped to zero, and murders were up to around 15,000. After 6 more years with no executions; the number of murders jumped to 20,000 in 1975, and peaked at around 23,000 in 1980 (with only 2 executions in the last 5 year span). In the 90's when we started executing murderers again in per capita percentages not seen since the 60's, low and behold the murders per capita that had doubled in their absence were once again cut in half. You will all have to decide for yourselves if you think this coincidence or a related phenomenon. I'm ill-equipped to prove the relevance in the comparison, but the numbers speak volumes to me.

Nor do I have an answer for "how many murders have been committed by life-without-parole inmates". I don't have the patience to do a "Nimh job" of finding and accumulating the data, but did take the time to dig up enough cases for myself to determine that the number was considerably greater than the 6 possible instances of erroneous State condemnation on the comprehensive website Joe linked.

Stories of inmate's killing guards and other prison personnel are not all that uncommon, but the far greater numbers of inmates killing each other goes largely unreported, because few people give a damn. Rape is supposedly rampant as well in the American prison system, but I can't recall ever seeing a trial reported for it, let alone a conviction. I have read that in the State of Wisconsin for instance, where there is no death penalty, it is considered cruel and unusual to keep an inmate in solitary confinement for more than 1 year. This means every kid who gets classified maximum security gets to rub elbows (among other things) with convicted murderers who in turn know the worst thing they can face for another murder conviction is a year in the "hole". Not much of a deterrent, that. Not to a man facing the rest of his life in prison anyway.

I suppose you could argue that a total revamp of the 50 plus prison systems in this country and a reversal of opinions on what constitutes cruel and unusual (like Wisconsin's 1 year solitary restriction) could lessen the dangers of inmate violence and possibly even go so far as to eliminate the possibility of escape; but how realistic is that? Who's going to pay for it? How do you replace the lenient judges who limit the system's ability to restrain the more dangerous criminals? I remember hearing the uproar when Wisconsin decided to build an "ultra maximum" security facility to house only the worst of the repeat offenders; at a cost of $80,000 per year per inmate. Believe me, the constituents will not (and probably could not) pay for such a safeguard in order to keep the entire inmate population safe. The two biggest prisons (I think) are in Waupun and Green Bay. Both are over 100 years old, both have suffered escapes and both are rumored to be places where the guards wouldn't dream of trying to discipline the average offender for fear of repercussion. Legend has it; 2 cartons of cigarettes is the going rate for a hit in these facilities.

If I were really interested in seriously debating the usefulness of Capital Punishment; I wouldn't stop at the most heinous of the heinous like many do. Repeat rapists and child molesters would easily make the cut as well. Violence may well be an inherent part of human nature, but so too is passivism. I have NOTHING to fear from the average man, of any race, creed, color or religion. Violence is NOT the dominating factor in most of us. The few can only intimidate the many for as long as we allow them to. I don't much care if it's genetic or learned behavior, the cycle can be stopped with the same method either way. How many thugs did the Brits hang before the thugs were no more?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 07:32 pm
Free, I gave you the name of a single repeat offender who's single handedly responsible for more innocent death than the anti-DP site claims may have been wrongly taken by the state. This is the statistical comparison I'm referencing and a few minutes googling will bring you many more examples.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 08:34 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Good of you to abandon that outrageous claim; but I'll not be sucked in to your 'to support the death penalty you also have to support heinous methodology' nonsense. Sorry.

I made no outrageous claim, so there is naught to abandon.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
This I will accept as the crux of our disagreement. I respect your desire to hold the state to a higher standard. My dissention comes from a belief that protection of innocents from murderers supersedes the importance of striving for perfect justice.

Yet you will settle for nothing less than perfect certainty against recidivism.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
I share your ideal, but not the level of importance you place on it. I reject the supposition that a repeat offender's next victim is any less compelling than the State's. Seems like an appropriate time to agree to disagree.

Then it's the appropriate time to conclude that you're wrong.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
Been there, tried that, and it hasn't worked. Google Kenneth McDuff for perhaps the best (of many) examples of why.

Normally I don't do this kind of legwork in order to find the evidence that supports someone else's position, but since you've made it clear that you will not expend any more effort (or rather any effort at all) to establish your case, I did a quick search. It seems that McDuff was first sentenced to death for a triple homicide in 1966. With the death penalty ruled unconstitutional in 1972, McDuff's sentence was commuted to life in prison. In 1989, however, he was paroled, after which he committed at least three more murders. McDuff's case, in other words, is no argument against sentencing murderers to life without parole, since McDuff never received such a sentence.

It is just as I suspected. Your "best example" is worthless. One can only imagine what your second-best example is.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
As the chart reflects: In 1960, there were 56 executions in the USA and under 10,000 murders. This is right about the time the Anti-DP campaign was really getting some traction. Prior to that; there was little doubt about what the ultimate punishment could be... so that period doesn't reflect any real inconsistencies.

That is complete nonsense. There was never a period in modern American history when the death penalty was the only punishment for homicide. You'll have to do a much better job of trying to explain how your own evidence contradicts your conclusions.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
I'm ill-equipped to prove the relevance in the comparison, but the numbers speak volumes to me.

I think that statement speaks volumes about you as well.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
Nor do I have an answer for "how many murders have been committed by life-without-parole inmates". I don't have the patience to do a "Nimh job" of finding and accumulating the data, but did take the time to dig up enough cases for myself to determine that the number was considerably greater than the 6 possible instances of erroneous State condemnation on the comprehensive website Joe linked.

Are you joking? You didn't even find one case where someone sentenced to life-without-parole went on to murder someone outside the walls of a prison. And this despite your claim that "Life-without-parole inmates have killed more innocents after sentencing than anyone here has suggested the state may have. That's not opinion; it's FACT." Your "facts," however, are nothing but unsubstantiated assertions, and your conclusions are no better.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 11:37 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Good of you to abandon that outrageous claim; but I'll not be sucked in to your 'to support the death penalty you also have to support heinous methodology' nonsense. Sorry.

I made no outrageous claim, so there is naught to abandon.
Really? Let's take another look:
Earlier, joefromchicago wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
If capital punishment worked as a deterrent, then there would be no need for capital punishment.
That logic is 180% from your position on drug prohibition. Reduction doesn't require absolute success to be beneficial now, does it?
No, certainly not.
It was good of you to abandon that outrageous claim. Bad of you to now deny doing so.

joefromchicago wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
This I will accept as the crux of our disagreement. I respect your desire to hold the state to a higher standard. My dissention comes from a belief that protection of innocents from murderers supersedes the importance of striving for perfect justice.

Yet you will settle for nothing less than perfect certainty against recidivism.
Given I had a choice? No. (That's what the debate is about, isn't it?)

joefromchicago wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
I share your ideal, but not the level of importance you place on it. I reject the supposition that a repeat offender's next victim is any less compelling than the State's. Seems like an appropriate time to agree to disagree.

Then it's the appropriate time to conclude that you're wrong.
Sez you. A rather silly time to resort to such a tactic, too; since for two quotes in a row I was recognizing the reasonable difference of opinion we have on assigning rank to our objectives.

joefromchicago wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
As the chart reflects: In 1960, there were 56 executions in the USA and under 10,000 murders. This is right about the time the Anti-DP campaign was really getting some traction. Prior to that; there was little doubt about what the ultimate punishment could be... so that period doesn't reflect any real inconsistencies.

That is complete nonsense. There was never a period in modern American history when the death penalty was the only punishment for homicide. You'll have to do a much better job of trying to explain how your own evidence contradicts your conclusions.
No Joe, that isn't complete nonsense. Your response however, is. I made no claim that the death penalty was the only punishment; I said it was what the ultimate punishment could be. I'd like to give you the benefit of the doubt and consider this a misunderstanding on your part, but you're becoming increasingly obvious in your attempts to discredit my valid arguments with nonsense yourself.

joefromchicago wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
I'm ill-equipped to prove the relevance in the comparison, but the numbers speak volumes to me.

I think that statement speaks volumes about you as well.
Yes Joe; I freely admit I'm neither an expert in law nor history nor statistics. That's why I suggested everyone would have to interpret them for themselves. (This type of sniping is as unnecessary as it is inappropriate.)

joefromchicago wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Are you joking? You didn't even find one case where someone sentenced to life-without-parole went on to murder someone outside the walls of a prison. And this despite your claim that "Life-without-parole inmates have killed more innocents after sentencing than anyone here has suggested the state may have. That's not opinion; it's FACT." Your "facts," however, are nothing but unsubstantiated assertions, and your conclusions are no better.
Here again; you've deliberately misinterpreted my words. I googled up a sufficient number of murders to satisfy myself that the number would exceed six. May I remind you that even those six have yet to be proven to be erroneous State executions. Your rant may be convincing to those predisposed to agree with you but is utterly lacking in content.

McDuff remains a perfect example of what can and has happened when condemnation is commuted to life imprisonment. History shows us that the inclusion of the words "without parole" may or may not mean anything. In 1962, James Moore raped and strangled 14-year-old Pamela Moss. Her parents decided to spare Moore the death penalty on the condition that he be sentenced to life in prison without parole. In 1982, sentencing laws were changed in New York and now James Moore is eligible for parole every two years. The parents of his victim, like many others, now get to relive their pain every two years to insure the Cretin isn't released. That's justice? It takes very little googling to learn just how short a "life sentence" can be. Here's a very small sampling of recidivism that someone else went to the trouble of collecting (for the page click here). I'll cut and paste a few of the shorter ones, since the entire list would probably be rejected by A2K.

Quote:
In 1965, Robert Massie murdered mother of two Mildred Weiss in San Gabriel, Calif., during a follow-home robbery. Hours before execution, a stay was issued so Massie could testify against his accomplice. Massie's sentence was commuted to life when the Supreme Court halted executions in 1972. Receiving an undeserved second chance, Massie was paroled, but eight months later robbed and murdered businessman Boris Naumoff in San Francisco. Does that date sound familiar?

In 1985, 13-year-old Karen Patterson was shot to death in her bed in North Charleston, S.C. Her killer was a neighbor who had already served 10 years of a life sentence for murdering his half-brother Charles in 1970. Joe Atkins cut the Pattersons' phone lines, then entered bearing a machete, a sawed-off shotgun, and a pistol. Karen's parents were chased out of their home by Atkins. Karen's mom ran to the Atkins home nearby, where Joe then murdered his adopted father, Benjamin Atkins, 75, who had worked to persuade parole authorities to release Joe from the life sentence.

10/2003 - Ohio
Prison Inmate Gets Death Sentence In Strangling

An Ohio prisoner convicted of strangling his cellmate will be executed. The prisoner, Timothy Hancock, 33, initially got a life sentence for the November 2000 slaying. However, Warren County prosecutors appealed to demand stiffer punishment, and a new sentencing was ordered. Hancock's death sentence will be automatically appealed to the Ohio Supreme Court, which is required in capital cases. Hancock was convicted two years ago of killing Jason Wagner, 25,of Lancaster. They shared a cell at Warren Correctional Institution near Lebanon. Hancock was serving a life term for a 1990 murder.

12/4/01 - Alabama
Triple killer serving life without parole kills another inmate; finally gets death sentence

A Holman Prison inmate found guilty in September of murdering a fellow inmate was sentenced to the electric chair in an Escambia County courtroom. Cuhuatemoc Hinricky Peraita, 25, of Rainbow City, Ala., who was serving life without parole for 3 murders in Gadsden, was found guilty of capital murder and of having committed a murder after being convicted of other murders within the past 20 years. Prosecutor Reo Kirkland convinced a jury that Peraita held fellow inmate Quincy Lewis down while another inmate, Michael Castillo, stabbed him with a prison-made knife. Kirkland said during the trial that Peraita played an important role in the death of Lewis by grabbing him around the neck, forcing him onto a bunk and holding him while Castillo stabbed him with a knife. According to Kirkland, testimony from a medical examiner showed that 2 different stab wounds would each have resulted in the death of Lewis. One of those wounds was to the chest, the other to the neck. Peraita's defense team argued self defense and that Peraita and Castillo had paid Lewis money to leave them alone. They said despite paying Lewis, he continued to threaten them and that Peraita had been slapped by Lewis not long before the murder. Peraita gets an automatic appeal due to the death sentence. Judge Brad Byrne handed down the death sentence. His alleged accomplice, Castillo, pled guilty to the lesser charge of manslaughter recently in exchange for a 20-year sentence. Judge Joe Brogden accepted the plea on Nov. 6.

9/21/01 - Alabama
Holman inmate convicted of capital murder

A Holman Correctional Facility inmate was found guilty of capital murder Friday in the stabbing death of another inmate. An Escambia County jury deliberated for less than an hour before finding Cuhuatemoc Little Warrior Peraita, 25, guilty in the 1999 prison stabbing death of inmate Quincy Lewis. Peraita waived his right to have jurors recommend to the judge if he should be sentenced to life in prison without parole or to death. Peraita instructed his attorneys not to fight prosecution efforts to seek the death penalty. Circuit Judge Bradley Byrne said he would schedule sentencing at a later date. It was not the 1st capital murder trial for Peraita. When Lewis was stabbed, Peraita was serving a life without parole sentence for killing three of his former co-workers during a 1994 robbery at a fast food restaurant in Gadsden.

1/8/01 - California
Inmate wants to die rather than ``lingering'' on death row

A California death row inmate imprisoned for 21 years dropped his appeals Monday, setting the stage for a rare execution in the state with the largest number of condemned inmates. Robert Massie, 59, could be executed within months for the 1979 murder of a San Francisco liquor store owner. Of nearly 600 condemned men and women in California, eight inmates have been executed since 1978, the year state voters reinstituted capital punishment. U.S. District Court Judge Charles Legge dismissed Massie's federal appeals late Monday. The judge has already ruled Massie competent to quit fighting his conviction, and gave Massie until Monday to change his mind. In his petition to end his appeals, Massie told Legge that he would rather die than continue living on death row in San Quentin, which is located a few miles north of San Francisco in Marin County. He said life on death row is a ``lingering death.'' So even if his death sentence was somehow reversed or commuted by an appeal, he would remain in prison for the rest of his life for shooting Boris Naumoff to death at a San Francisco liquor store. That is why he wants a ``swift execution.'' Massie has spent most of his life in prison. In 1965, he was convicted of murdering a San Gabriel woman and sentenced to death. But his death sentence was commuted after the U.S. Supreme Court struck down California's death penalty laws. Because of lenient parole laws at the time, he was paroled in 1978, a year before he killed Naumoff.

3/22/00
Indicted in guard killing

BEEVILLE -- A convicted killer already serving a life sentence was indicted Tuesday for capital murder in the death of prison guard Daniel Nagle. Robert Lynn Pruett, 20, could face the death penalty if found guilty of the Dec. 17 attack on Nagle, who was fatally stabbed with a sharpened rod while patrolling the Texas Department of Criminal Justice McConnell Unit near Beeville in South Texas. It was the first fatal attack on a Texas corrections officer since guard Minnie Houston was stabbed to death in 1984 by an inmate at the Ellis Unit near Huntsville, a prison official said. Pruett, from Channelview, was serving a life term for a murder committed when he was 15, according to prison records. Nagle had been president of the Beeville chapter of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, which represents corrections officers. Nagle is survived by his wife, a former corrections officer at McConnell, and three young children.

12/8/99
Killer charged with murdering while on the loose

STAR CITY, Ark. - A convicted killer who escaped and was recaptured in Missouri after crashing into another vehicle was charged in the death of the man whose truck he was driving. Kenneth Williams, 20, of Pine Bluff, will be arraigned Wednesday on a capital murder charge in the shooting death of Cecil Boren which happened after he escaped in October. Williams was charged Tuesday in Lincoln County Circuit Court with murdering Boren at his home near Grady on Oct. 3. Williams left the Cummins Unit of the state prison system in a 500-gallon vat of table scraps from the prison kitchen, which was headed for a barn. Police say after he got off prison grounds, he made his way to Boren's house, killed him and stole his truck. Missouri police spotted the truck at Lebanon, Mo., and gave chase. Officers arrested Williams at Urbana, Mo., after he slammed into a Culligan delivery vehicle, killing the driver. Police found guns and jewelry from the Boren home in Boren's truck after the crash. Williams was returned to Arkansas after waiving extradition. He's also being charged with aggravated robbery, theft of property and escape. He is being held in the more-secure Tucker Unit in an isolation cell. Prison officials say Williams is allowed out of his cell only three hours a week, except for court appearances and medical visits. At Cummins, Williams was in a 34-man barracks, officials said, which gave him some freedom. Williams was sentenced to life in prison for the December 1998 murder of Dominique Hurd of Fort Worth. The girl was a cheerleader at the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff and was on her first date with Peter Robertson of Vineland, N.J., when she was shot. Robertson also was wounded. Jurors were split over imposing a death sentence for the Hurd slaying. Tuesday's announcement by Prosecutor Steve Dalrymple that Williams had been charged in Boren's death did not say if Dalrymple would seek the death penalty in the Boren case.

8/1995 - California
Serial killer sentenced to death in Riverside murders

When William Suff went to work as a stock clerk for the county in 1986, he lied about his 1974 conviction for murder in Texas. He and his wife at the time were convicted of beating their 2-month-old daughter to death in Fort Worth. Suff was sentenced to 70 years. In March, 1984, he was paroled to California. His wife served 20 months when her conviction was overturned by an appellate court. Suff went on to become known as the Riverside Killer, murdering at least 13 women. After nearly two months of trial and just under four days of deliberation, the jury returned with guilty verdicts on 12 of 13 counts of first degree murder and one count of attempted murder. They deadlocked 11-1 on one murder charge. Jurors also found Suff guilty of multiple murder, lying in wait and use of a deadly weapon - a knife - on five victims. On August 17, 1995, after reviewing evidence and testimony in the high-profile case, the seven-man, five-woman jury recommended the death penalty for William Suff. The 45-year-old man showed no emotion, but relatives of his victims cheered the decision.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 11:50 pm
I've worked in such prisons.
Just for a couple of weeks, I admit.
But over a period of about 10 years I've gone there as a counsellor on regular basis.

It is a (completely) unknown problem here in Germany (in Europe).
What we sometimes get is that some prisoners "slip" on the soap on showers.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 12:32 am
I don't imagine Europe's prison population is as rife with convicted murderers as the prisons are here in the States. We have crazy numbers of crazies both inside and out.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 12:36 am
To clairify: I've worked in a prison with about 950 (at that time) prisoners, out of that number about 300 were lifelongs.

I've worked with livelongs/longer period imprisoned, who were in the wing (department) thought to be the most aggressive.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 12:38 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
I think you're sidestepping the point here, Thomas. "first-time offender" Vs. "repeat offender" is a false dilemma. "Repeat offender" Vs. "erroneous State condemnation" in as far as potential threat to innocent life is the relevant comparison to my point. I believe you've conceded it but muddied the water a little in your response.

It may be a false dichtonomy, but it's not my dichtonomy. My dichtonomy is some people dying because the state killed them vs. other people dying from murder. I want to minimize the total number of people killed, and the best available analysis of the data does not tell me that the death penalty gives me that.

To be sure, it also doesn't tell me that the death penalty doesn't give me that. In fact, the last time I made this point, my opponent was ehBeth, who argued against the death penalty by saying that the murder rate is lower in American states without capital punishment than in those with them. The problem with her argument is the same as with yours: a common sense approach to statistics tends to yield results that are suggestive, powerful -- and wrong.

Occom Bill wrote:
I don't see any merit in your hospital comparison because it flies in the face of common sense.

I know it flies in the face of common sense. That's exactly my point. Your argument is logically analogous to one that flies in the face of common sense. That is a reason to mistrust your argument, no matter how suggestive it sounds when it yields the results that you want.

Occom Bill wrote:
Less innocents killed = the greater good or the lesser evil, whichever you prefer.

Finally, a point we agree on. But the best available statistical analysis doesn't tell us whether capital punishment leads to the lesser evil, as you define it. That's we all fall back on our gut instincts on this issue, which are pro in your case, con in mine.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 12:39 am
Sounds like a pretty crappy job, Walter. You must be a hell of a nice guy.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 12:48 am
Thomas wrote:
Occom Bill wrote:
Less innocents killed = the greater good or the lesser evil, whichever you prefer.

Finally, a point we agree on. But the best available statistical analysis doesn't tell us whether capital punishment leads to the lesser evil, as you define it. That's we all fall back on our gut instincts on this issue, which are pro in your case, con in mine.
That's fair enough. I suspect you may be counting the 1,000 guilty folks who've been killed in your desire for less dead, though? A brief perusal of the names and numbers killed by repeaters should assure you recidivism has claimed more innocent life than the state. Quite simply; dead men don't kill people.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 12:49 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Sounds like a pretty crappy job, Walter.

Actually, none of the various fields of social work I've been in was much better - lecturing at university was even crappier :wink:

OCCOM BILL wrote:
You must be a hell of a nice guy.

Sometimes.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 12:59 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Occom Bill wrote:

That's fair enough. I suspect you may be counting the 1,000 guilty folks who've been killed in your desire for less dead, though? A brief perusal of the names and numbers killed by repeaters should assure you recidivism has claimed more innocent life than the state. Quite simply; dead men don't kill people.

If that was true, a professionally calculated multiple-regression tests would have shown that, and they don't.

It is true I would include the 1000 guilty folks. When I stopped being a Christian, one Christian conviction I retained is that every human life is precious in its own right, whether it belongs to a saint or to scum. That said, the number of people executed for murder is fairly small compared to the number of murder victims. So even if I didn't include the lives of murderers in my calculations, that still wouldn't change the number of people killed enough to produce a statistical outcome that's conclusively pro-capital-punishment.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 01:06 am
I was still referring to the six potential innocents as, unlike you, I care not a whit for the thousand guilty... but that's still fair enough.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 01:09 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
I was still referring to the six potential innocents as, unlike you, I care not a whit for the thousand guilty... but that's still fair enough.

Yes, but you still care about the innocent people killed by murderers, don't you? And that's the bulk of the people killed so the deterrent effect on murdering that bulk dominates everything else, whether we count all lives or only innocent ones.

Well ... I guess it doesn't get any fairer enougher between us. And just for the record, I meant to edit my last response before you responded.

Thomas wrote:
If that was true, a professionally calculated multiple-regression tests would have shown that, and they don't.

I meant to say "if that was the whole story, professionally calculated multiple regression tests ...", not "if that was true, a professionally calculated ...". It is obviously true that corpses don't kill people, and that the number of the verb must match the number of the noun.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 01:44 am
Fairest enoughest. That last edit you snuck in, in time I see. :wink: From your overview of the entire problem, I can see how you'd view my recidivism Vs. State error as relatively inconsequential. I'll continue to see it as a little bit better = better. But that's close enough. This debate is pretty much always the same. Next time I think I'll go with "I don't care about killers, dead men don't kill people and recidivism has claimed more innocent life than the State. Feel free to disagree" and leave it at that (at least, that's what I hope I'll choose to do. :wink:)
0 Replies