Quotations

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 06:52 am
Hi I was just wondering if anybody has advice on when we're suppose to use quotes in our essay.

I went to a shop and the gave me this....

support your argument (claim)
argue against a claim or argument
demonstrate knowledge of field

Still it would've helped if the shop provided sample essays. I mean I know it's all there in front of my eyes. Still I'm just not sure how to apply it without given any examples. Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 633 • Replies: 2
No top replies

december

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 09:47 pm
quotes
we should use quotes in essays when we want to prove something we are talking about.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 07:14 am
Nuances and implications of rules can be difficult for English as a Second Language students to understand.

One student complained:

Quote:
Still it would've helped if the shop provided sample essays. I mean I know it's all there in front of my eyes. Still I'm just not sure how to apply it without given any examples. Thanks.

Always use direct quotations (with atribution) when the facts, the thought or the phrasing of the thought belong to another person.

Always use direct quotations (as above) when the quoted observation will make your point more clearly and colorfully.
0 Replies