Former PNAC neocon says movement is dead

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 07:49 pm
Neocon architect says: 'Pull it down'
ALEX MASSIE
IN WASHINGTON
NEOCONSERVATISM has failed the United States and needs to be replaced by a more realistic foreign policy agenda, according to one of its prime architects.

Francis Fukuyama, who wrote the best-selling book The End of History and was a member of the neoconservative project, now says that, both as a political symbol and a body of thought, it has "evolved into something I can no longer support". He says it should be discarded on to history's pile of discredited ideologies.

In an extract from his forthcoming book, America at the Crossroads, Mr Fukuyama declares that the doctrine "is now in shambles" and that its failure has demonstrated "the danger of good intentions carried to extremes".

In its narrowest form, neoconservatism advocates the use of military force, unilaterally if necessary, to replace autocratic regimes with democratic ones.

Mr Fukuyama once supported regime change in Iraq and was a signatory to a 1998 letter sent by the Project for a New American Century to the then president, Bill Clinton, urging the US to step up its efforts to remove Saddam Hussein from power. It was also signed by neoconservative intellectuals, such as Bill Kristol and Robert Kagan, and political figures Paul Wolfowitz, Richard Perle and the current defence secretary, Donald Rumsfeld.

However, Mr Fukuyama now thinks the war in Iraq is the wrong sort of war, in the wrong place, at the wrong time.

"The most basic misjudgment was an overestimation of the threat facing the United States from radical Islamism," he argues.

"Although the new and ominous possibility of undeterrable terrorists armed with weapons of mass destruction did indeed present itself, advocates of the war wrongly conflated this with the threat presented by Iraq and with the rogue state/proliferation problem more generally."

Mr Fukuyama, one of the US's most influential public intellectuals, concludes that "it seems very unlikely that history will judge either the intervention [in Iraq] itself or the ideas animating it kindly".

Going further, he says the movements' advocates are Leninists who "believed that history can be pushed along with the right application of power and will. Leninism was a tragedy in its Bolshevik version, and it has returned as farce when practised by the United States".

Although Mr Fukuyama still supports the idea of democratic reform - complete with establishing the institutions of liberal modernity - in the Middle East, he warns that this process alone will not immediately reduce the threats and dangers the US faces. "Radical Islamism is a by-product of modernisation itself, arising from the loss of identity that accompanies the transition to a modern, pluralist society. More democracy will mean more alienation, radicalisation and - yes, unfortunately - terrorism," he says.

"By definition, outsiders can't 'impose' democracy on a country that doesn't want it; demand for democracy and reform must be domestic. Democracy promotion is therefore a long-term and opportunistic process that has to await the gradual ripening of political and economic conditions to be effective."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,938 • Replies: 37
No top replies

detano inipo

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 08:34 pm
"By definition, outsiders can't 'impose' democracy on a country that doesn't want it; demand for democracy and reform must be domestic. Democracy promotion is therefore a long-term and opportunistic process that has to await the gradual ripening of political and economic conditions to be effective."
Those two sentences say it clearly.
Democracy has to come from the people, not from the barrel of a gun.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 08:42 pm
detano inipo, yeah. Now he tells us.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 09:54 pm
This should be good.Anon
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 10:13 pm
I just went to a few of my favorite lefty and righty sites, and so far, no one is giving this much play. That's a damn shame IMO. I'll be checking the radio shows tomorrow.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 10:46 pm
Am I the only one boggled by the phrase "neoconservative intellectuals?"
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 10:57 pm
DrewDad wrote:

Are you implying that Dan(Insert favorite joke here)Quayle is not an intellectual ?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 11:07 pm
This is fascinating...do you have the source for this, BF?
0 Replies

echi

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 11:16 pm
Does this mean the war is over?
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 11:43 pm
DrewDad wrote:

Yeah, seems an odd term to me as well, but I run across it every so often.

"Kristol noted that Strauss' contribution was to help neoconservatives to understand the importance of religion in the political life of a nation. "Religion was not part of elite culture found at places like Harvard," said Kristol. "It was not thought appropriate for highly educated people to learn too much about religion." Straussians, who were not well regarded in the academy, took religion seriously. "They played a very important role in the culture war by keeping neoconservative intellectuals pro-religion," says Kristol. This pro-religion stance gave neoconservative intellectuals a way to influence the wider American culture. Liberal and left intellectuals who disdained religious belief were distrusted by most Americans and this distrust helped check liberal influence and policies."

http://reason.com/rb/rb101701.shtml
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 07:38 am
dlowan, this is the link to the article. http://news.scotsman.com/
0 Replies

rodeman

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 07:54 am
I wonder what took Fukuyama so long to come to this "startling" revelation..................?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 11:29 am
bookmark
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 06:42 pm
SWEET NEO CON
(M. Jagger/K. Richards)

You call yourself a Christian
I think that you're a hypocrite
You say you are a patriot
I think that you're a crock of ****

And listen now, the gasoline
I drink it every day
But it's getting very pricey
And who is going to pay

How come you're so wrong
My sweet neo con.... Yeah

It's liberty for all
'Cause democracy's our style
Unless you are against us
Then it's prison without trial

But one thing that is certain
Life is good at Haliburton
If you're really so astute
You should invest at Brown & Root.... Yeah

How come you're so wrong
My sweet neo con
If you turn out right
I'll eat my hat tonight

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah....

It's getting very scary
Yes, I'm frightened out of my wits
There's bombers in my bedroom
Yeah and it's giving me the shits

We must have lots more bases
To protect us from our foes
Who needs these foolish friendships
We're going it alone

How come you're so wrong
My sweet neo con
Where's the money gone
In the Pentagon

Yeah ha ha ha
Yeah, well, well

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah...
Neo con
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 07:05 am
It is a strange coincidence that the word 'con' means :
'stupid bastard' in french.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 07:43 am
February 23, 2006
'Leninists!' Cries Neocon Nabob, Suing for Divorce

by Jim Lobe
http://www.antiwar.com/lobe/?articleid=8591
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 12:57 pm
detano inipo wrote:
It is a strange coincidence that the word 'con' means :
'stupid bastard' in french.

and bullsh*t artist in english.

seems to be accurate in both languages, nest c'pas ?
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 07:57 pm
How Neocons Sabotaged Iran's Help on al-Qaeda

by Gareth Porter
http://www.antiwar.com/orig/porter.php?articleid=8590
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 10:16 pm
It appears that Fukuyama may have been one of those intellectuals who had a hard time connecting his theories with reality. Imagine that in an intellectual?

Neocons who actually believed that toppling Sadam and bringing American style democracy to Iraq in a few short weeks of high tech TV warfare were foolish.

Now that reality has set in and the advance of democracy has not proceeded in the comic book fashion which Fukuyama hoped for, he's all for throwing neo-conservatism in the dustbin.

Many assume that because Dr. Fukuyama wrote a book entitled "The End of History," that he must be a historian. He is not. He is a "political scientist," which is something quite different from a historian. He is a brilliant man and capable of crystalline insights, but that, of course, doesn't mean that everything he says is correct. (Surely all of the folks on this thread who knowingly nod upon reading his pronouncement of the death of neo-conservatism were not equally impressed with his intellect when he promoted it).

We live in an age of compressed time frames, so it is understandable why someone not fully acquainted with reality might expect that the strategic process of democratizing the Middle East would be accomplished in if not two months, then surely two years.

The reality is that despite the bloody mess of it all, the advancement Iraq has made since the start of the war is quite remarkable., but since we get to witness the process minute by minute, it seems to be interminable.

Those who reflexively sneer at neo-conservatism because their Left-wing handlers tell them "neo-con" is synonymous with "evil," may remember that most of them also sneered at real politik, and so we are led to ask them what they believe the proper course for foreign policy to be.

Clearly the geo-political realist approach of supporting regional tyrants for the sake of regional stability has proven to be a failure - keep in mind that this was our country's foreign policy for a far longer period than any influenced by neo-conservative thought. It endured for decades through both Republican and Democratic administrations.

Ironically, during this period of time people like blueflame railed against the policy. Just ask blue what he thinks about Henry Kissenger.

It is indicative of how the Liberal movement in this country has degenerated when a policy that actively promotes the liberalization of strategically important regions is met with contempt. But hey, it has "conservative" tacked to it and it is advanced by obviously evil bad guys like Krystal, Perle, and Wolfowitcz and therefore it must be bad.

So now we can't back stabilizing tyrants, and we can't actively promote democracy...what should we do?

Withdraw from the world and let it go on it's merry way?

I'm interested in learning what you folks (particularly the wags who suggest neo-conservativism and intellectual are mutually exclusive) believe our foreign policy should be.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 07:44 am
0 Replies