Britons boring, French rude, Americans ignorant: poll

dyslexia

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 03:53 pm
Francis wrote:
I dont sell my friendship for a beer... I dont sell it at all.

Francis is a friend of mine. I can't afford to buy friends.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 03:57 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
"Okay, Francis, I believe you: Steve is a decent guy."

francis is very naive

Haha, I very much doubt that, Steve.

-----

Dys, have you eaten the frog legs yet, you've stored in your freezer?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 03:58 pm
and have you notice the price of beer recently?

its enough to make a grown man

pine
0 Replies

PoetSeductress

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 04:50 pm
Britons boring, French rude, Americans ignorant: poll
dyslexia wrote:
Francis wrote:
I dont sell my friendship for a beer... I dont sell it at all.

Francis is a friend of mine. I can't afford to buy friends.

That's right.

Francis is a man of honor. I respect him very much.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 02:02 pm
I have noticed that Brits and Americans smell really bad compared to French people. Brits often have really bad breath and BO, and are often surly and rude. I have only met very friendly French people, maybe I am lucky, but think that if you look for the good in people you usually find some.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 02:13 pm
All English people I know are comparable to the French. I only met very few rude Americans but some here on this site. All the others, along with those I've personally met were quite fine people.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 02:58 pm
contrex wrote:
I have noticed that Brits and Americans smell really bad compared to French people. Brits often have really bad breath and BO, and are often surly and rude. I have only met very friendly French people, maybe I am lucky, but think that if you look for the good in people you usually find some.
and those were the specially prepared ones we introduce to foreigners, the rest are really bad.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 03:00 pm
Francis is never rude, but frequently overly succinct.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 03:07 pm
dlowan wrote:
Francis is never rude, but frequently overly succinct.

Which, in my opinion, is not a sign of anything...other than that it is always intended.

On the other hand, I just put succinctness aside in real life. Ask people who have met me...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 03:50 pm
Lol! Define real.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 03:51 pm
Real: when you can kiss and shake hands.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 04:14 pm
Aaaaaahhhhh........how French for it to be in that order!

(wink)
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 02:27 pm
Je rectifie une toute 'tite omission par avouer que moi chui belge (de Liège), et moi j'aime bien les français. Mais comme les sales flamands puent...
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 02:33 pm
Un Belge de la "plus belle eau"...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 04:14 pm
Et les Val-de-Marains ont le Festival de l'Oh Laughing

Since I've just been again 4 days in France (and passed Belgium on the ways), I got again the impression that the French are most helpful and polite people - from officials who helped my despite my bad French to young pupils who said goodbye to me in their best German :wink:
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 06:14 pm
Quote:
But while British citizens were considered to be the most polite and best educated, they were also rated the most boring. The French were seen as the rudest and Americans the most ignorant and ambitious

What the? Just what in tarnation do you mean by that, boy?

Yep, them French are rude.....ruuuu---eewwwwd! And them English are booorrrrinnnngggg!

But Americans ignernt? You best be recalling them words faster'n a Ford exec with one of them Pinto cars.....ya hear me?

Now go on and git!! And don't you come aroun' here no more with that kinda back talk....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 06:48 pm
<Oops, this is to Calamity Jane, a fair number of posts ago -I think I skipped a batch of pages..>

That's a hundred people in ten nations? Which hundred? More people in the first poll, but, eh, so? Stereotyping is an acknowledged human behavior and is often at odds with reality. I think there have been many of these polls, or perhaps a few that have been mentioned over and over.

Poet Seductress -
On 'British' being capitalized, I was raised using american-english grammar, and therefore capitalized all over the place. Together with my massive use of exclamation points, it made my text look silly. When I got interested in italy (Italy) about two decades ago, I started reading everything I could get my hands on about it and noticed a general tendency among italians to not capitalize everything. Not sure if I'm right on my observation, just saying that was my take on my reading. Since then I've stopped capitalizing every country and its language every other minute. Much more restful.

As it turns out, I don't actually care now what the rule may be.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 06:53 pm
I don't care either, osso! Razz
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 06:58 pm
Yeh, I skipped four pages. Real sleight of hand...
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 07:00 pm
Razz
0 Replies