I need to buy a new computer

Montana

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 01:08 pm
Chumly wrote:
I'm in Canada too but there is way more local competition for your computer dollar than where you are.

I moved here from the states 6 years ago and I forget sometimes that things are different in other parts of Canada, so I really should have said New Brunswick instead of Canada Embarrassed
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 01:13 pm
cjhsa wrote:
In the late 1980's I purchased a custom built 486/33 from a local retailer in Silicon Valley. 40MB hard drive and 1MB of RAM. For this I paid $2500.

Hi CJ ;-)
With the tax, my new computer came to almost $2,200, but my continuous insistance that I couldn't go over $2,000 got them to kindly knock off $200.
$2,000 is a lot of money for me to dish out, so I hope I don't regret it.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 01:17 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Montana wrote:
I think it's awesome that they deliver it right to your home and if something goes wrong with the computer, they come right here to fix it.

Dell is a great computer. I am on my 2nd, and when I get my next one, it will also be a Dell. But let's get something straight. Yeah, they will come to your house to fix the computer if it is on the warrantee, but first you will have to rule out anything that can be fixed by you, over the phone.

For instance, in my 1st Dell, the hard drive failed after only a couple of months. All I had to do was put the phone to the computer, and have the tech hear the sound that it was making. A day or two later, a tech was at my house with a new hard drive. With other problems, I was on the phone with the techs for literally hours.

On a positive note. When I had my first Dell, I was a newbie computer operator, and I had Windows 98. You looked at it cockeyed, and it crashed. I don't know if it was my inexperience, the operating system, or a combination of both.

I have had by XP for over two years, and have not had to call Dell once!!!

Phew!!! I was getting nervous as I was reading your post, but I am relieved that the XP hasn't been a problem :-D
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 04:13 pm
Montana, for $2000, that computer better be able to make toast and coffee and serve it to you.

That's a lot for a puter in Canada, even in New Brunswick <I've paid (authorized actually) for about a half dozen of them there in the past year and a bit>.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 05:37 pm
I think I paid $250 after all the rebates for the last Dell desktop I bought, a 2.8Ghz Pentium IV. My current laptop ran me $700.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 05:46 pm
Montana,

That sounded like a lot of money to me, but you had them deliver and set up ??? Did you get the extended warranty ... You did get this directly from Dell ... right?? Do you mind sending me a copy of all the stuff you bought ... a copy of the invoice ??

[email protected]

Anon
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 06:30 pm
Pretty much a matter of perspective - I figure a couple grand is a reasonable neighborhood for a computer itself, exclusive of monitor, peripherals, software, and other stuff. But then, I s'pose I'm not exactly the typical home user Mr. Green
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 07:12 am
Don't forget extra disk space.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/images2/oldharddrive.jpg
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 12:06 pm
Beth
Yeah, I know, but I got carried away with the options and since it has been so long since I've bought myself anything major, I figure I deserve it ;-)

Anon
I know it's high, but I got a lot of extras like the high resolution 19" monitor, the dual cd burner, floppy drive, and yes I did get the extended warrenty.
I think I also had them throw in some extra memory and I know I'm forgetting a few things.
I know the puter will be delivered to my door, but I don't think they will be setting it up.
I also got an all in one photo printer with that.
I know there are a few things I don't remember.
Yes, I did get it directly from Dell and as soon as I get it, I'll let you know.
Also Anon, keep in mind that the sales tax here is 15%. Yeah, ouch!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 12:32 pm
Montana wrote:
... keep in mind that the sales tax here is 15%. Yeah, ouch!

Well, yeah, but thats in Canayjun dollars - ain't like its real money, or anything Twisted Evil

/timber runs and hides, giggling evilly
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 12:36 pm
Very funny Timber Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 12:43 pm
At least we have pretty money, unlike that plain old green you guys are sporting over there ;-)

Walks away, looking over her shoulder...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 02:23 pm
Montana - I'd read what you posted about the features you got - it's still a lot of money for a system in New Brunswick - and specifically, Dell in New Brunswick.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 03:18 pm
Beth
I remembered a few other things like the ploppy drive, extended warrenty, extended security package and did I mention the all in one photo printer?
I went to the Dell site to try to get an invoice from them, but it looks like I'll have to wait until I get the computer to be able to tell you guys exactly what I have on there.
I really hope that I didn't get taken for a ride because then I'd be pretty ticked off.
When I get the invoice I'd like to touch base with Anon to see what he thinks.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 03:24 pm
Montana - I don't think you can get a puter package without the all-in-one printer. They're throw-ins at almost every vendor I've dealt with. I've got two spares myself - I think they're going to be great anchors.

No invoice upfront? Confused
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 03:32 pm
I'm going to get in touch with customer service right now if I can to see if I can't get some info.
The printer that came free with the puter was just a regular printer, but I've seen all puters advertized and you're right, the printers come with them.
When I ordered the puter and I was on the phone with sales person, I was so excited that it was a "sure, I'll take this and I'll take that" kind of thing, lol.
I know I got carried away and I'm going to go see if I can't get more info to let you know exactly how deep I planted myself, lol.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 03:33 pm
You shoulda gotten an order confirmation, as well as an invoice and shipping info by email, along with a customer ID number which should allow you to directly access your account to track the build and shipping status of your order.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 04:39 pm
I figured as much and I'm not very happy at the moment since I just called Dell and I can't get any info until monday when customer service is in.

Not happy at all :-(
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 05:09 pm
Dunno as I'd blame Dell; just about every interaction I've had with them has been satisfactory (well, there was one, which wound up unresolved after a series of calls culminating in a 4-way conference call involving high-level tech support folks from Dell, Microsoft, and a video card vendor, all of whom recognized a problem existed but were stumped for an at-hand remedy, and myself, who was pretty disgruntled - a few weeks later, though, Microsoft, Dell, and the card vendor did sort out and correct the problem via general patches/updates) and their overall reputation, particularly re orders and order processing/order management, is excellent.

I ordered some stuff over the phone from Dell Thursday morning, had the confirmation email within minutes of hanging up the phone, and as of Friday afternooon, have the shipping company's tracking number allowing me to follow the shipment.

I wonder if maybe a spamblocker mighta shunted their confirmation email into your junkmail folder.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 05:17 pm
Montana wrote:
I figured as much and I'm not very happy at the moment since I just called Dell and I can't get any info until monday when customer service is in.

Not happy at all :-(

If you paid for special service, you're calling the wrong number. They should have given you special support numbers to call that go way beyond the normal customer service. I think we all may have caused you undue stress ... I think you probably got everything you paid for, and probably got a fair price doing it. It sounds more and more to me like you have! Don't fret, and look to see if they haven't given you some additional phone numbers.

Anon
0 Replies