Iowa, what do you really think of it?

NickFun

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 12:05 am
By providing this link to his picture I manipulated Gus url and found all his photos. NOw I know who Gus really is. And if I see him near my daughter I will kill him.
0 Replies

sassy kassi14

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 09:11 am
Swimpy, it was nice to meet u too. So are you really that happy that i started a room about iowa? i just wanted to have somewhere that i could talk about something i know alot about.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 03:34 pm
I'm thrilled, sassy. Post away. You and I are the only Iowans here. It's noce to have company. Just watch out for Gus. He likes to make late night visits. Don't be surprised to find him in your backyard. (DO NOT open the door.)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 03:49 pm
I found out the other day that some people in Iowa have very pronounced accents.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 07:39 pm
How did you find this out, Betheh?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 07:42 pm
Talking to a fascinating fella on the phone at work.

I had to pull up a map to be sure he really was in Iowa, he sounded so southrrrn. I finally asked if he was originally from Iowa. Iowa born and bred.

Oh my.

and I am so NOT good about being called Miss Beth or Ma'am. Makes me wince.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 08:18 am
If you go about 100 miles south of where sassy lives the geography, the pace of life and the accents start to resemble Missouri. If you travel 100 miles north of Cedar Rapids the terrain and the mannerisms of the folks starts to resemble Minnesota. Weird, eh?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 04:06 pm
I was truly weirded out.

I was expecting a more Swimpyish sound.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 08:29 pm
I once't crossed Iowa hitch-hikin', straight through, from Davenport to Council Bluffs, in thirteen rides. That meant that most rides were rather short, but ever-body was friendly, and stopped right away--it took only about an hour or so longer than it would have to have driven straight through.

Nebraska, however, was a different kettle of fish altogether . . .
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 08:38 pm
Hi Setanta

Missed ya.
0 Replies

sassy kassi14

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 12:29 pm
so swimpy have you been to alot of places in iowa or do you stay around dubuqe? i went to this really tiny town called clear lake over the summer and it was the size of like two city blocks it was so small and boaring.
0 Replies

sassy kassi14

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 12:42 pm
guess what swimpy this guy just told me to get my ass in the kitchen and make him a sandwich. and this is all over because i asked about women in the NFL
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 01:09 pm
edit...nevermind
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 01:12 pm
kassi, I've been to quite a bit of the state. Not to the far northwest or southwest parts, though. I'm familiar with Clear Lake. It's near Mason City, I know that much.

Regarding the comment about the sandwich... harrumph.
0 Replies

sassy kassi14

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 09:41 pm
yea it was a nice little town but everyone was very careful around us but i thought that is what would happen considering how cautions they are in small towns. so have you ever been to the mar-mac area it is like my home away from home.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 09:56 am
Yep, very pretty in that area. Have you been to Effigy Mounds and Yellow River State Forest?
0 Replies

sassy kassi14

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 02:14 pm
yea i got there all the time in the summer camping and hiking i really enjoy it up that way
0 Replies