Iowa, what do you really think of it?

Seed

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 01:11 am
haha, yea i know how it is. we spent a lot of the summer weekends there.. friday after work a crew of us would roll out and come back sunday night
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 06:07 am
Let me think...Iowa...

It is one of the connected I states. (Indiana, Illinois, Iowa)

It has farms.

It is south of Minnesota.

I have no strong desire to go there; but at the same time, I have no need to fully avoid the state either.

Iowa is east of Nebraska and Nebraska has an interesting sound to its name so I figure Iowa must not be that bad.

If I think of anything else about Iowa I'll be sure to inform you.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 11:10 pm
Iowa is where Democrats who want to be presidents go to.

Well known Iowans:

John Wayne, Aston Kutcher, Andy Williams, Ed Ames, Herbert Hoover, Mamie Eisenhower, Dick Cavett, Ann Landers, Abigail Van Buren, Glenn Miller, Steve Allen, Don Ameche, Bill Baird (Sound of Music puppets), Ralph Bellamy, MacDonaldCarey, Gary Cooper, Tiny Tim, Forrest Tucker, Roger Williams, Tennessee Williams, Orville and Wilber Wright, Elijah Wood, Mark Twain, Cloris Leachman, Jock Mahoney, Robert Noyce, Ronald Reagan, Donna Reed, George Reeves 'TV Superman', Ringling Brothers, Buffalo Bill Cody, Jean Seberg,

First Electronic Computer invented by Iowa State University Professor Atanasoff and awarded by President George H.W. Bush in 1992.

Maytag, John Deere, Monsanto are head quartered in Iowa.

Peanut butter was invented in Iowa State University.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 11:11 pm
The movie Michael with JohnTravolta as the archangel was filmed in Iowa.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 11:35 pm
talk72000 wrote:

Peanut butter was invented in Iowa State University.

I must admit I have trouble with this one. How much scientific research did this require? Was this invention funded by taxpayer dollars?
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 12:52 am
NickFun: I cannot understand the negativity of your comment regarding the invention by a Black University Professor George Washington Carver nearly 100 years ago. He probably didn't patent most of his inventions. He donated most of his discoveries. Carver Hall is prominent at Iowa State University.

George Washington Carver

http://z.about.com/d/inventors/1/0/d/1/gwc.gif

Related Resources
• George Washington Carver - Pictures and Quotes
• Pictures and Quotes 2
• Pictures and Quotes 3
• Pamphlet - Help For Hard Times
• The History of Peanut Butter
George Washington Carver started popularizing uses for peanut products including peanut butter, paper, ink, and oils beginning in 1880.
• Black Inventors
By Mary Bellis

It is rare to find a man of the caliber of George Washington Carver. A man who would decline an invitation to work for a salary of more than $100,000 a year (almost a million today) to continue his research on behalf of his countrymen.

Agricultural chemist, Carver discovered three hundred uses for peanuts and hundreds more uses for soybeans, pecans and sweet potatoes. Among the listed items that he suggested to southern farmers to help them economically were his recipes and improvements to/for: adhesives, axle grease, bleach, buttermilk, chili sauce, fuel briquettes, ink, instant coffee, linoleum, mayonnaise, meat tenderizer, metal polish, paper, plastic, pavement, shaving cream, shoe polish, synthetic rubber, talcum powder and wood stain. Only three patents were every issued to Carver.

George Washington Carver was born in 1864 near Diamond Grove, Missouri on the farm of Moses Carver. He was born into difficult and changing times near the end of the Civil War. The infant George and his mother kidnapped by Confederate night-raiders and possibly sent away to Arkansas. Moses Carver found and reclaimed George after the war but his mother had disappeared forever. The identity of Carver's father remains unknown, although he believed his father was a slave from a neighboring farm. Moses and Susan Carver reared George and his brother as their own children. It was on the Moses' farm where George first fell in love with nature, where he earned the nickname 'The Plant Doctor' and collected in earnest all manner of rocks and plants.

He began his formal education at the age of twelve, which required him to leave the home of his adopted parents. Schools segregated by race at that time with no school available for black students near Carver's home. He moved to Newton County in southwest Missouri, where he worked as a farm hand and studied in a one-room schoolhouse. He went on to attend Minneapolis High School in Kansas. College entrance was a struggle, again because of racial barriers. At the age of thirty, Carver gained acceptance to Simpson College in Indianola, Iowa, where he was the first black student. Carver had to study piano and art and the college did not offer science classes. Intent on a science career, he later transferred to Iowa Agricultural College (now Iowa State University) in 1891, where he gained a Bachelor of Science degree in 1894 and a Master of Science degree in bacterial botany and agriculture in 1897. Carver became a member of the faculty of the Iowa State College of Agriculture and Mechanics (the first black faculty member for Iowa College), teaching classes about soil conservation and chemurgy.

In 1897, Booker T. Washington, founder of the Tuskegee Normal and Industrial Institute for Negroes, convinced Carver to come south and serve as the school's Director of Agriculture. Carver remained on the faculty until his death in 1943. (Read the pamphlet - Help For Hard Times - written by Carver and forwarded by Booker T. Washington as an example of the educational material provided to farmers by Carver.)

George Washington CarverAt Tuskegee Carver developed his crop rotation method, which revolutionized southern agriculture. He educated the farmers to alternate the soil-depleting cotton crops with soil-enriching crops such as; peanuts, peas, soybeans, sweet potato, and pecans. America's economy was heavily dependent upon agriculture during this era making Carver's achievements very significant. Decades of growing only cotton and tobacco had depleted the soils of the southern area of the United States of America. The economy of the farming south had been devastated by years of civil war and the fact that the cotton and tobacco plantations could no longer (ab)use slave labor. Carver convinced the southern farmers to follow his suggestions and helped the region to recover.

Carver also worked at developing industrial applications from agricultural crops. During World War I, he found a way to replace the textile dyes formerly imported from Europe. He produced dyes of 500 different shades of dye and he was responsible for the invention in 1927 of a process for producing paints and stains from soybeans. For that he received three separate patents:

* U.S. 1,522,176 Cosmetics and Producing the Same. January 6, 1925. George W. Carver. Tuskegee, Alabama.
* U.S. 1,541,478 Paint and Stain and Producing the Same June 9, 1925. George W. Carver. Tuskegee, Alabama.
* U.S. 1,632,365 Producing Paints and Stains. June 14, 1927. George W. Carver. Tuskegee, Alabama.

Carver did not patent or profit from most of his products. He freely gave his discoveries to mankind. Most important was the fact that he changed the South from being a one-crop land of cotton, to being multi-crop farmlands, with farmers having hundreds of profitable uses for their new crops. "God gave them to me." he would say about his ideas, "How can I sell them to someone else?" In 1940, Carver donated his life savings to the establishment of the Carver Research Foundation at Tuskegee, for continuing research in agriculture.

George Washington Carver was bestowed an honorary doctorate from Simpson College in 1928. He was an honorary member of the Royal Society of Arts in London, England. In 1923, he received the Spingarn Medal given every year by the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. In 1939, he received the Roosevelt medal for restoring southern agriculture. On July 14, 1943, U.S. President Franklin Delano Roosevelt honored Carver with a national monument dedicated to his accomplishments. The area of Carver's childhood near Diamond Grove, Missouri preserved as a park, this park was the first designated national monument to an African American in the United States.

"He could have added fortune to fame, but caring for neither, he found happiness and honor in being helpful to the world." - Epitaph on the grave of George Washington Carver.

Carver
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 04:34 pm
I am most familiar with Carver and his superb crop rotation method and his all-out efforts to actually help alleviate the pains of southern farmers when slavery was aboloished. I never related him to peanut butter. Sorry.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 06:58 pm
I have a cousin who lives in Des Moines with her husband and kids. She likes it there, says it's a nice town and a great place to raise a family.

Well....that's about all I know. Oh yeah, they do get the occasional tornado...But they've never had any serious damage from one.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 08:27 pm
Stray Cat wrote:
I have a cousin who lives in Des Moines with her husband and kids. She likes it there, says it's a nice town and a great place to raise a family.

Well....that's about all I know. Oh yeah, they do get the occasional tornado...But they've never had any serious damage from one.

Don't be so sure, Stray Cat. the Charles City tornado in 1968 was a big one. Look here.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 08:32 pm
Swimpy, did you ever, in your wildest dreams, think someone would start a thread about Iowa?

You must be ecstatic.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 08:36 pm
I can't believe my eyes.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 08:38 pm
I picked up this couch in Iowa....

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e28/GustavRatzenhofer/PlantRoom.jpg

Some family had it for a good long time. It originally came from Canada and was manufactured sometime during the Civil War era.

I like it.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 08:42 pm
So you got this couch during the Civil War, Gus?

That reminds me -- I've always meant to ask you -- what was Abraham Lincoln really like?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 08:43 pm
I missed your photo, Stray Cat. Let's have it.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 08:45 pm
And what happened to my couch?
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 08:47 pm
Take a look at Swimpy's picture. I look a lot like him.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 08:50 pm
I have an image in my mind of you looking exactly like a young Moms Mabley.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 08:59 pm
Ummm....yeah.....

sorry about your couch.....I needed a scratching post...
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 09:06 pm
I suspected as much. Damn feline.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 11:22 pm
Gus, that room just screams "a married man lives here".
0 Replies