VP shoots Texan Lawyer Redux

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 05:38 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Doody. It was a picture of Cheney with his victim tied on top of the car.

<snort>

Wish the cartoon had worked, edgar.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 06:12 am
Does anyone remember the old Woody Allen routine of his moose hunt? Please permit me...

He goes moose hunting and shoots a moose and ties it to the hood of his car. He's coming home through the Holland Tunnel when the moose (he only winged it) regains consciousness and begins signalling a right turn. Woody, panicking, remembers that he's been invited that evening to a costume party at the Goldsteins. He and the moose knock at their door. They are greeted by the Goldsteins who are dressed in a moose costume. They go in. The moose mingles. He does very well. He gets lucky. There is a vote for best costume and the Goldstein's win. The moose explodes in anger and Woody shoots him, straps him to the hood and heads home. Coming through the Holland Tunnel, the moose regains consciousness. But its the Goldsteins.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 06:15 am
Only Woody could have written that.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 06:18 am
Very funny, blatham.
I badly needed a laugh.
Thanks.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 06:58 am
Quote:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060214/ap_on_go_pr_wh/cheney_hunting_accident

Sorry for posting the whole article, but I didn't quite know where to cut it off since through out the article there are some interesting little tid bits. On the whole I think it was just a hunting accident that as usual the WH is first trying to hide and now spin.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 07:02 am
It's from the late sixties when he was touring colleges and doing the hungry i, etc. Incredibly funny and ground-breaking stuff from that period. Recently, he said he listened to some of those old recordings, having always assumed they would hold up, but now finding them cheap and predictable. But that is Woody's neurosis. He will, and this simply is not fair, never understand how much joy he bestowed.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 07:09 am
blatham wrote:
Does anyone remember the old Woody Allen routine of his moose hunt? Please permit me...

He goes moose hunting and shoots a moose and ties it to the hood of his car. He's coming home through the Holland Tunnel when the moose (he only winged it) regains consciousness and begins signalling a right turn. Woody, panicking, remembers that he's been invited that evening to a costume party at the Goldsteins. He and the moose knock at their door. They are greeted by the Goldsteins who are dressed in a moose costume. They go in. The moose mingles. He does very well. He gets lucky. There is a vote for best costume and the Goldstein's win. The moose explodes in anger and Woody shoots him, straps him to the hood and heads home. Coming through the Holland Tunnel, the moose regains consciousness. But its the Goldsteins.

What? I haven't seen this movie -- which one was that in?
(EDIT: Your last post answered that. Is there a recording of it somewhere?)
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 07:24 am
thomas

There were still vinyl records around a decade or so ago (and earlier, of course) if one searched them out in used record stores. Not sure where you'd go now. It's possible that you could find them to download from peer to peer (I'm no longer familiar with that world). Let me see what I can come up with.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 07:28 am
Quite a bit on ebay...or this one...
http://www.recordsbymail.com/static/artistSearch.php/artistFirst/WOODY/artistLast/ALLEN
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 11:44 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
He said he could put up with a lot, but not with the VP shooting people in the face.

Huh?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 11:48 am
Hey, that's what he told me. I suspect his decision has far more to do with other factors, and this was just a conveinent occurance for him to speak his mind.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 12:02 pm
Wonder if he was after the poor bastard's heart. Perhaps his was acting up and he decided it was time for a replacement. I hear the secret service men had to wrestle the gun away from him as he was leveling it at the lawyer's head for a second round.

Fortunately, the medical team that follows Cheney around everywhere he goes was there to provide prompt medical attention for the victim.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 12:43 pm
As Ron Reagan noted last night, the first thing that law enforcement would ask in investigating such a hunting accident would be "Was drinking involved?"

No reason to assume it was so, but it's possible of course. That the SS didn't allow the police to see Cheney until the next day doesn't help allay this particular concern.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 12:46 pm
Hunter Shot by Cheney Has Heart Attack
9 minutes ago AP

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas - The 78-year-old lawyer who was shot by Vice President Dick Cheney in a hunting accident has some birdshot lodged in his heart and he had a "minor heart attack," a hospital official said Tuesday.

Peter Banko, the hospital administrator at Christus Spohn Hospital Corpus Christi-Memorial, said Harry Whittington had the heart attack early Tuesday while being evaluated.

He said there was an irregularity in the heartbeat caused by a birdshot pellet, and doctors performed a cardiac catheterization. Whittington expressed a desire to leave the hospital, but Banko said he would probably stay for another week.

Whittington, a prominent Republican attorney from Austin, was accidentally sprayed with shotgun pellets when Cheney was aiming for a quail Saturday.

Whittington had initially been placed in intensive care. He had been moved to a "step-down unit" Monday after doctors decided to leave several birdshot pellets lodged in his skin rather than try to remove them.

A Texas Parks and Wildlife Department report said Whittington was retrieving a downed bird and stepped out of the hunting line he was sharing with Cheney. "Another covey was flushed and Cheney swung on a bird and fired, striking Whittington in the face, neck and chest at approximately 30 yards," the report said.

The wildlife department issued a report Monday that found the main factor contributing to the accident was a "hunter's judgment factor." No other secondary factors were found to have played a role.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 02:18 pm
Quote:
Wonder if he was after the poor bastard's heart.

Dude, precognition in action!

I hope the guy pulls through - for his sake, and for Cheney's.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 04:06 pm
blatham wrote:
thomas

There were still vinyl records around a decade or so ago (and earlier, of course) if one searched them out in used record stores. Not sure where you'd go now. It's possible that you could find them to download from peer to peer (I'm no longer familiar with that world). Let me see what I can come up with.

Thanks. Smile
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 07:37 pm
Update: Dan Abrams is on MSNBC giving Cheney a pass, saying that "The Vice President didn't do anything wrong" and finding nothing irregular about the fact that he was not interviewed by law enforcement officials for 15 hours after the incident. Is Abrams the amazing Kreskin or something? How would he, or anyone, know that "the Vice President didn't do anything wrong" -- especially since Armstrong is now backtracking on her story:
"There may be a beer or two in there," she said, 'but remember not everyone in the party was shooting.'"
These are the questions you should be asking, Dan.

Update II: The beer quote seems to now be scrubbed from the MSNBC site, though you can still see it cached in the Google abstract.

Update III: Remember this isn't the first scrubbing we've found in this matter. To their credit CBS PublicEye addressed it here, though the reporter's explanation is something less than satisfactory. http://firedoglake.blogspot.com/2006_02_12_firedoglake_archive.html#113995697605718161
0 Replies