VP shoots Texan Lawyer Redux

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 08:17 pm
My other topic on this got moved to General News; but I really am starting to think there are going to be a lot of political questions behind what happened when our VP decided to shoot a guy in the face.

So I decided to make a new thread about the event and the political ramifications thereof; if this is a violation of some sort, please delete, mods.

But before ya do! Read this, from today's NYTimes:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/13/politics/13cnd-cheney.html?hp&ex=1139893200&en=181b942291c6b3ef&ei=5094&partner=homepage

Quote:
The shooting, which occurred at about 6:30 p.m. Eastern time, left a prominent Austin lawyer and Republican campaign supporter, Harry Whittington, wounded by shotgun pellets in the neck, shoulder and chest.

"Chief of Staff Andy Card called the president around 7:30 p.m. to inform him that there was a hunting accident," a statement released today by the White House said. "He did not know the vice president was involved at that time. Subsequent to the call, Deputy Chief of Staff Karl Rove spoke with Mrs. Armstrong. He then called the president shortly before 8 p.m. to update him and let him know the vice president had accidentally shot Mr. Whittington."

There's a sentence that always makes me take a second look.

Cycloptichorn
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,486 • Replies: 36
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 08:19 pm
Who is Mrs. Armstrong?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 08:21 pm
Mr. McClellan would not answer questions about whether Mr. Cheney had called the president himself to tell him about it.

What the hell difference would it make if Bush knew about this? What would he do? Scratch his head and make monkey faces?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 08:22 pm
Mrs. Armstrong is the woman who owned the land they were hunting on, boomer.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 08:23 pm
I don't like G. Bush and I don't need reason to dilike him more, but this kind of thing makes me dislike his dislikers.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 08:24 pm
Okay then.

If Karl talked to HER then obviously it was some kind of murder plot.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 08:25 pm
Explain, please.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 08:25 pm
Also, something I forgot:

I called my older brother, who lives in Houston, to talk about politics. He's an active Republican who volunteers for the party, so you can imagine that we've had some pretty heated political discussions over the last few years.

Not as many, as of late, though; he's something of a fiscal conservative, and the current climate isn't making him happy (although, it's the SPENDING that he complains about most, heh, typical right?). But today, when I called him to shoot the sh*t like normal, he told me:

Quote:
Man, I'm done defending these guys.

He said he could put up with a lot, but not with the VP shooting people in the face.

I wonder how many people feel the same way today, have had the same discussions.

How many does it take to change things?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 08:27 pm
Oh, noone said anything about a murder plot.

But that doesn't mean that the story they've told is the one that will turn out to be the accurate one.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 08:30 pm
I was being sarcastic about the murder plot.

If this story shines a light on gun accidents then we will all come out ahead.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 08:31 pm
I think it makes sense that they'd attempt to spin it, but I'm not sure that necessarily makes it any more nefarious than attempts to spin Gerald Ford's pratfalls. Cheney did something super-dumb, so they'd want to do what they can to mitigate any "Man, that was super-dumb!" reaction.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 08:34 pm
This is obviously just a hunting accident, but what makes it funny (not to make light of the injury sustained) is that the VP is a big NRA guy and it looks like the White House press team was not on the ball. Check out this White House press conference.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2006/02/20060213-4.html
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 08:35 pm
Any attempt to say it was anything but super-dumb is the only place where this belongs in the news.

I'll call my family and get the Texas reaction. I have a feeling that the Bush supporters don't care and the Bush haters don't care. I'll bet they both think it was super-dumb though.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 08:37 pm
To me it makes perfect sense that they try and keep this low key for obvious reasons (i'm not talking about you Cyclo.). This is bad timing and they know everybody is going to go straght for the throat on this one. So i don't blame them and I understand but that doesn't mean I don't think they deserve everything they get.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 08:59 pm
Quote:
In an odd disparity, Armstrong told the Houston Chronicle that Whittington, 78, was "bruised more than bloodied" in the incident and "his pride was hurt more than anything else." Yet he was airlifted to a hospital and has spent more than a day in an intensive care unit.

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001995719
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 09:03 pm
You don't get "bruised" by a shotgun. Especially at that range.

<bruised by a shot gun Rolling Eyes >
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 09:07 pm
http://www.tmsfeatures.com/tmsfeatures/servlet/com.featureserv.util.Download?file=20060213edmar-a-jpeg

From Doug Marlette
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 09:09 pm
Doody. It was a picture of Cheney with his victim tied on top of the car.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 04:57 am
from Slate...
Quote:
Everybody offers the jokes trotted out on the late-night programs. TP isn't impressed. He prefers the experts, such as "vice-presidential firearms mishap analyst" Robb Corddry, who noted, "everyone believed there were quail in the brush," and "while the quail turned out to be a 78-year-old man, even knowing that today, Mr. Cheney insists he would still have shot Mr. Whittington in the face."
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 04:59 am
from Slate...
Quote:
Everybody offers the jokes trotted out on the late-night programs. TP isn't impressed. He prefers the experts, such as "vice-presidential firearms mishap analyst" Robb Corddry, who noted, "everyone believed there were quail in the brush," and "while the quail turned out to be a 78-year-old man, even knowing that today, Mr. Cheney insists he would still have shot Mr. Whittington in the face."
0 Replies