The shameful Australian practice of live sheep trade.

msolga

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2012 08:50 pm
@farmerman,
Hi farmer.
Good to see you.
I hope life is treating you well.

Unfortunately the hideous practices are not the result of Islamic beliefs ... things would be (marginally, at least) better if they were. Most of the footage we've seen here (far too many times!) are not approved halal practices, but far, far worse. As Muslims here constantly point out to us. The most barbaric episodes <shudder> have been secretly filmed by animal welfare activists, then released to the media in Oz.

I would be more than happy to endorse proper Islam-approved slaughter here, with then-frozen meat exported to middle eastern countries.
That's what quite a few other meat exporting nations do already, with no problem from the middle eastern end of the trade. I can't see why we can't invest in the industry & do that, too.

Yes, you're right about the inhumane shipping conditions of sheep & cattle.
Abhorrent & indefensible.

Quote:
Glad I aint part of that livestock business in your homeland, Id have trouble making money because Id be selective of my customers .(So Id probabl;y be outta business real soon).

You would be, too!
No doubt about it.
You couldn't stomach it!
The trouble here is, the cattle/sheep exporters have enormous political clout. Our current government responded to a huge campaign, not all that long ago, to ban live exports. But the government's efforts were subverted by the influence of that powerful lobby. (Pragmatic concerns about losing votes in critical seats. )

Bottom line for me & for many other people concerned about animal welfare: the cattle/sheep exporters must act, take responsibility for the welfare of these animals from export to import destinations. If they can't, or won't (& they have had plenty of support to do that) then live exports should be banned. This sort of has disgrace has been going on for far too long!

msolga

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2012 02:56 am
@msolga,
Just read my post above.
I left an important part out.
I'd like to edit my comment, with the italicized words added.:

Quote:
I would be more than happy to endorse proper Islam-approved slaughter here, however with the added proviso that animals are stunned prior to slaughter ....
msolga

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2012 06:58 am
Quote:
The Greens are renewing their call for an immediate end to live animal exports.

They are also calling for an independent inquiry into what they call the "obscene" deaths of Australian sheep in Pakistan.

It is believed that up to half of the 21,000 Australian sheep offloaded in Pakistan earlier this month are now dead. ....<cont>

Greens want live animal exports banned:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-09-28/greens-want-live-animal-exports-stopped/4286532
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2012 08:42 pm
Quote:
Australian Broadcasting Corporation
Broadcast: 28/09/2012
Reporter: Matt Carney

A Pakistani court has delayed by a week a decision on the fate of thousands of Australian sheep, after it was alleged yesterday that half the 20,000 sheep off-loaded in Pakistan were clubbed, stabbed and buried alive in a brutal cull.

Australian sheep in legal limbo:

http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/2012/s3600405.htm
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2012 10:46 am
@msolga,
unfortunately ol;ga , halal is blooding the animal FIRST. C:ubbing in the kashreth and halal markets is not what an observant one can do.

The greeks and italians (will accept farm killed and frozen carcae as long as the butcher leaves the wooly head on and keeps the testacles sewn inside the carcass
msolga

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2012 07:52 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
unfortunately ol;ga , halal is blooding the animal FIRST. C:ubbing in the kashreth and halal markets is not what an observant one can do.

Yes you're right about that, farmer. Halal slaughter in the strictest sense.

I've just had to refresh my memory of the requirements of halal killing – (according to the Koran and Islamic leaders) they are:

Quote:
- not killing animals in the presence of other animals
- the animals are not to be bound
- the slaughterman makes a dedication of the animal to ‘Allah’
- the animal being slaughtered must face Mecca
- the animal should be killed with a single cut to the throat with a long sharp blade, and
- the animal must not suffer prior to slaughter.

http://www.liveexport-indefensible.com/facts/halal.php

Clearly this is not what we've seen in the awful video footages from Indonesia & other middle eastern destinations of Australian live animal exports. And I can't, for the life of me, see how these requirements could be adhered to (anywhere) in mass slaughters.

So when I advocate stunning before slaughter I'm talking about halal accredited practices, which are already occurring in Brazil (the world's largest meat exporter), also in Australia & other meat exporting countries:

Quote:
According to the RSPCA, there are over one hundred certified Halal abattoirs that could viably slaughter animals in Australia. .... the live export industry also admits “Australia exports chilled meat to the same countries it supplies with live animals.”

http://www.reportage-enviro.com/2010/11/live-export-versus-australian-halal-meat/

So already frozen halal-accredited meat is sold in the supermarkets of middle eastern countries, along side meat from live exports.

And yes, you're absolutely right to argue that Australian exporters have no control about how our live animals are treated once they reach their country of destination. Despite what they claim are a huge improvements in the treatment & welfare of those exported animals. And despite their responsibility to ensure proper welfare standards are met. Clearly they aren't being met. As we've seen in case after case, despite industry "reforms". The current Pakistan situation is just the latest in a long line of horror stories.

Personally, I cannot understand why the Australian meat exporters & the bodies which advocate for them cannot see the long-term value of upgrading their industry & doing away with the problematic & incredibly cruel live animal export industry.
Every time such solutions are suggested, they dig their heals in & insist on the importers' halal requirements, the loss of revenue, the loss of jobs in rural areas ...some of which may be true in the short-term, but with government support, they could build build a far more viable & far more ethical industry for the long-term. Look at Brazil's example:

Quote:
As one of the biggest exporters of halal meat in the world, Brazil maintains a substantial percentage of its production to cater to the Halal market, approximately 70 per cent of its exports of 1 million frozen chickens goes to over 100 countries are Halal-certified. Most of the country’s Halal products are being shipped to GCC countries, with reports revealing that USD 1.4 billion worth of chicken has been exported from January to August 2008 to the Middle East - an increase of 66 per cent over the same period last year. In addition to meat and poultry products, Brazil has also emerged as a major source of other Halal-certified consumables in the region such as coffee, chocolate, biscuits, fruits, and juices ....

http://beefmagazine.com/market-update/1120-brazil-exports-middle-east

Anyway, following the recent hideous mass slaughter of those unfortunate sheep in Pakistan, we now have yet another passionate round of the debate underway, to try to convince our government to take a much stronger stand on live animal exports. I fear we still have a long way to go.
Sigh.
0 Replies