The shameful Australian practice of live sheep trade.

cyphercat

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 05:56 pm
dlowan wrote:
As I understand, that is still very moot.

And chimps, whom we share most DNA with, hunt.

Huh, I thought you were using "moot" in a weird way, and then I went and looked it up, and it turns out what I always thought was the only definition is actually the secondary definition! Shocked learn sumpin new everyday. Just goes to show, don't question dlowan's use of language, she always knows best...

But as far as chimps hunting, I've read they mostly scavenge, I dunno bout them doing much hunting. Jane Goodall says they eat meat so rarely that it's basically negligble, and that's mostly from scavenging. . . Anyway, I'm not trying to start an argument here or anything, but everything from our teeth to our digestive system to the amount of acidity in our stomachs corresponds with herbivores (from the research I've done anyway, and from talking to people who've studied bio, anthro, etc). Now, I'm not saying we need to all be veggie, I just get tired of the old Man-as-natural-hunter thing, because it's not very accurate. . . sorry for the thread derailing, Msolga. Razz
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 07:04 pm
Not a problem, cyphercat. These things are all rather interconnected, don't you think?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 07:09 pm
paleo anthropology has clear evidence that , after humans began walking upright, they became scavengers. We are of the class hominoidea which includes apes , gibbons, chimps .ALl of which have dentition consistant with an omnivorous diet. Humans "big brain" was accelerated by the initial eating of bone marrow scavenged from kills. Itwas a short trip to becoming a toolmaker and most of the tools had to do with killing or cutting flesh. Weve lost more of our pointed canines since Homo Ergaster. Oyur Australopithecene great great cousins had some nifty dentition consistent with "fang and claw"
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 07:13 pm
echi wrote:
If you don't mind slaughtering the animals, why should you care how they are treated while they are alive?
Would you like to be tortured and then killed or just killed?
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 08:44 pm
Nice summation, Amigo. . .
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 08:48 pm
Yea, walk a mile in that sheeps shoes....or hooves....or paws.....Nevermind!

the point is how would you feel then???

I'm going to go out and chain myself to a sheep!!!!
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 08:57 pm
farmerman wrote:
paleo anthropology has clear evidence that , after humans began walking upright, they became scavengers. We are of the class hominoidea which includes apes , gibbons, chimps .ALl of which have dentition consistant with an omnivorous diet. Humans "big brain" was accelerated by the initial eating of bone marrow scavenged from kills. Itwas a short trip to becoming a toolmaker and most of the tools had to do with killing or cutting flesh. Weve lost more of our pointed canines since Homo Ergaster. Oyur Australopithecene great great cousins had some nifty dentition consistent with "fang and claw"

Jeez, I dunno Farmerman, I'm in over my head here probably, but I have had a couple of anthro classes and they didn't agree with that "fang and claw" dentition thing in Australopiths. According to the research that the books I've read cited, when they used electron scanning microscopes on fossil teeth the wear pattern on Australopith's teeth was consistent with a fruitarian diet.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 11:27 pm
Quote:
I'm going to go out and chain myself to a sheep!!!!

Are you sure your not a kinky kiwi Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 01:52 am
cyphercat wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Huh, I thought you were using "moot" in a weird way, and then I went and looked it up, and it turns out what I always thought was the only definition is actually the secondary definition! Shocked learn sumpin new everyday. Just goes to show, don't question dlowan's use of language, she always knows best...

But as far as chimps hunting, I've read they mostly scavenge, I dunno bout them doing much hunting. Jane Goodall says they eat meat so rarely that it's basically negligble, and that's mostly from scavenging. . . Anyway, I'm not trying to start an argument here or anything, but everything from our teeth to our digestive system to the amount of acidity in our stomachs corresponds with herbivores (from the research I've done anyway, and from talking to people who've studied bio, anthro, etc). Now, I'm not saying we need to all be veggie, I just get tired of the old Man-as-natural-hunter thing, because it's not very accurate. . . sorry for the thread derailing, Msolga. Razz

Chimps, for what it is worth re the discussion, really hunt....in an organized way...a bunch of beaters, and ones positioned for the kill.

It isn't pretty....kind of as ugly as dogs hunting in packs, only the dogs savage and maim, then wait for th eanimal to be weakenough to get down and kill, whereas chimps kind of tear monkeys apart. I think it is quicker than dogs, though.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 01:55 am
cyphercat wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Actually, I DO think we have hunted for many millenia, but my point was more that predation is natural on this planet.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 02:26 am
dlowan wrote:
echi wrote:
Narrow sighted? Can you explain why?

Because you are seeing only one possible ethical system/existential position to take in the face of killing animals.

Are there more than one?

Quote:
There are many, and many of them include enormous respect for, and gratitude to, the animal that has given up its life for you.

Given up it's life for you? Who... Lassie?
Quote:
Killing has been a fact of life between prey and predator for millions of years. As humans, we kill in consciousness (unless we live in denial...which our culture prolly does, by and large, because most of have removed ourselves so far from the killing process) of the animal's suffering.

Do you believe that non-human animals do not?

Quote:
I believe that, as a sentient being, we have the responsibility to create as little suffering for other forms of life as possible.

Including, and most importantly, ourselves. I agree.
Quote:
Killing is a natural activity for we predators.

By "we" do you mean "human"? Or are you in a gang?
Quote:
There is no need for us to cause great suffering before we do so, if it is easily preventable.

But what is the need to NOT cause great suffering before we do so? (if it is easily preventable)

Quote:
Suffering is also a natural part of life, for all of us, but we have no need to increase it. Even if others do, I have no need to join with them in this.

That we raise animals for food gives us a greater, not lesser, obligation to minimise their suffering and make theit lives as good as we can, in my view.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 02:31 am
Amigo wrote:
echi wrote:
If you don't mind slaughtering the animals, why should you care how they are treated while they are alive?

Uh. How 'bout neither.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 02:57 am
No point arguing, Echi...it is an ethical position, for which I have given reasons, you do not agree.

I would like to see your justification for causing more suffering than is necessary, though...with killing as a given.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 03:12 am
echi wrote:
Amigo wrote:
echi wrote:

Uh. How 'bout neither.
Then do unto others.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 03:15 am
We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form. ~William Ralph Inge, Outspoken Essays, 1922
0 Replies

echi

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 11:21 am
dlowan wrote:
No point arguing, Echi...it is an ethical position, for which I have given reasons, you do not agree.

I would like to see your justification for causing more suffering than is necessary, though...with killing as a given.

And I would like to see your justification for killing.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 11:23 am
Amigo wrote:
echi wrote:
Amigo wrote:
echi wrote:

Uh. How 'bout neither.
Then do unto others.

That's good advice, Amigo. I do.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 08:09 pm
Ask the experimenters why they experiment on animals, and the answer is: "Because the animals are like us." Ask the experimenters why it is morally okay to experiment on animals, and the answer is: "Because the animals are not like us." Animal experimentation rests on a logical contradiction. ~Charles R. Magel

God loved the birds and invented trees. Man loved the birds and invented cages. ~Jacques Deval, Afin de vivre bel et bien

We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form. ~William Ralph Inge, Outspoken Essays, 1922

From beasts we scorn as soulless,
In forest, field and den,
The cry goes up to witness
The soullessness of men.
~M. Frida Hartley
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 02:57 am
Yes, Amigo, YES!!!!!!
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 03:00 am