The shameful Australian practice of live sheep trade.

Amigo

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 07:11 pm
Alot of Americans are mad right now. It,s easy to externalize at each other through a LCD screen rather than at a person. Like wishing somebody dead because they cut you off.

"Find the faults in others and correct them in yourself"

We all do it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 07:29 pm
echi wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Leaving aside your ridiculously uncouth manner, Echi, I assume your ACTUAL argument is that animals ought not to be killed.

So...fine, but this thread is about cruel treatment of animals which ARE going to be killed.

If you do not wish to discuss that, fine.

Well, I am discussing it... just not in the way that you want me to. I am simply pointing out what I see as inconsistent reasoning. The quotes given by Amigo support my point of view, so why are his ideas accepted but mine are not? Oh, yeah. It's my "ridiculously uncouth manner", I guess. Uh... Sorry about that. I am not trying to be rude. (Well, I'm not trying hard.)

You aren't really discussing it...you just keep making the same point over and over.......we all got it way back.

Meanwhile, in the absence of the remotest possibility in the foreseeable future that people are gonna give up killing animals (though it is a worthy goal, I agree....hypocrite though I am re chooks and fish) there IS a whole lot of unnecessary cruelty going on that there IS a chance we can do something about, by increments. Msolga has been attempting to discuss one of these on this thread.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 07:53 pm
dlowan wrote:
You aren't really discussing it...you just keep making the same point over and over.......we all got it way back.

I don't think you did. But that is my fault, not anyone else's.
Of course I want all creatures to experience as little suffering as possible. But how are we to convince people to respect animals that are being led to slaughter?
We say: Hey. You should treat that animal with respect.
They say: This animal? Oh, but I'm fixin' to kill this animal.
We say: ??? (What can we say.)
If we oppose killing animals then why not stick with that position? Would you still be so eager to compromise if these were humans instead of sheep?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 07:57 pm
I eat meat.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 08:02 pm
That's interesting, mi Amigo. But I'm gonna try to keep quiet in this thread... I already kinda feel like a hijacker. (Sorry, Msolga.)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 08:10 pm
echi wrote:
dlowan wrote:

I don't think you did. But that is my fault, not anyone else's.
Of course I want all creatures to experience as little suffering as possible. But how are we to convince people to respect animals that are being led to slaughter?
We say: Hey. You should treat that animal with respect.
They say: This animal? Oh, but I'm fixin' to kill this animal.
We say: ??? (What can we say.)
If we oppose killing animals then why not stick with that position? Would you still be so eager to compromise if these were humans instead of sheep?

No Echi, I got it, believe me.

I just challenged your very limited view.

We can not only say a lot, but we have managed to get a lot of legislation passed re treatment of animals who are going to be killed.

A helluva lot more needs to happen, of course.

I hust see your absolutist position as leading nowhere fast.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 05:15 am
Not live sheep exports, but cattle. Whether Australian cattle or not .... How appalling!:

<extract from ABC news item>:

.... The (Australian) Government has suspended livestock exports to Egypt until it is satisfied that Australian cattle are being treated humanely.

Channel Nine's 60 Minutes program aired footage last night of cattle in an Egyptian abattoir having their tendons slashed before slaughter. Mr McGauran says he is confident the cattle concerned were not Australian, because they were bulls and the country shipped only steers to Egypt last year.

......... However, Animal Australia's Lyn White, who helped to shoot the controversial footage, says that is not the point.

"In every slaughter hall that we entered, those animals were identified to us as Australian," she said.

"But I have to tell you, to even raise that as an argument is really disturbing because the industry and the Government know that we have sent millions of cattle into that country, and that the vast majority of them have been slaughtered in that terrible abattoir." ........

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200602/s1579426.htm
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 08:40 pm
And still the live sheep trade continues!
Shame, Australia, shame!Sad :

Australia faces hypocrisy charge over live exports
Lorna Edwards
February 13, 2008/the AGE

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2008/02/13/rgn_exports_narrowweb__300x436,0.jpg
Live exports are worth $1 billion.
Photo: Phillip Biggs

ANIMAL welfare agencies have accused the Rudd Government of hypocrisy in opposing Japanese whaling while supporting live animal exports, as Australia became the target of a new global campaign against the trade.

An alliance of 900 animal welfare agencies in 147 countries has set its sights on Australia as the largest live animal exporter in a three-year campaign launched this week by the World Society for the Protection of Animals in Australia, Europe and North America.

The Australian spokesman for the Handle With Care alliance, RSPCA president Hugh Wirth, said Australia was considered a cruel country internationally and the campaign could lead to consumer boycotts of Australian meat products in Europe and North America.

"The live export industry in Australia say they are following world's best practice, which is exactly what the Japanese are saying about whaling," Dr Wirth said.

The global campaign targeted both road and sea transport of animals and calls for the live trade to be replaced with the export of chilled meats.

In 2006, Australia exported 4 million live sheep to the Middle East with 36,000 dying in transit.

"We are launching this campaign globally … to ask the Australian Government in particular to bring an end to the cruel live export trade of sheep to the Middle East," said WSPA's director-general, Peter Davies, from the United Kingdom.

A spokesman for the industry, LiveCorp chief Cameron Hall, said he was disappointed by the campaign but defended Australia's presence in the Middle East markets through live exports as a catalyst for improving animal welfare standards in the region through training.

Minister for Agriculture Tony Burke has staunchly defended the $1 billion trade and said the Government would work with industry to improve animal welfare conditions in the Middle East.

But the RSPCA and Animals Australia said that this stance was at odds with the Government's opposition to Japanese whaling.

"We cannot condemn these terrible animal atrocities perpetuated by other nations when we are the world leader in this horrendous trade in animals," Animals Australia investigator Lyn White said.

After obtaining footage of ongoing abuses of Australian animals exported to the Middle East in December, Ms White said there was little evidence of improved conditions despite the training efforts made by Australia.

"Australia cannot separate itself from the suffering of these animals in the Middle East," she said.

But Mr Hall said halting Australia's live exports would do nothing to slow the trade because live animals would be obtained from other countries in North Africa, Asia and South America, which had less concern about animal welfare.

The WSPA-led campaign against live exports follows its three-year international campaign against whaling.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/australia-faces-hypocrisy-charge-over-live-exports/2008/02/12/1202760306649.html
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 09:04 pm
Maybe this was discussed but why cant the Imams be prepared to slaughter the sheep in Australia and merely ship the carcasses to their destination. OR have Imams on board and begin slaughter as the ship leaves dock?
We sell sheep to Muslim customers and they have a tradition (similar to kashreth where an observant Muslim does the slaughter and then takes the meat to his family or ceremony).
In otherwords, whats the requirememnt that the sheep be shipped live and starve and lose prime condition from travel stress, stable cough, and other diseases brought on by stress of travel and overcrowding.

We take our lambs to market ina long gooseneck and we dont load more than 75 lambs in a load(this is optimal for the trips to LAncater markets) Anymore and the sheep get all stressed and can develop C&D and die before theyre even sold. We also select the holding pens and feed them a grain and hay trough and water them well so theyre not dehydrated. Our market trip is about 45 miles and they feel stress during that short run. I cant imagine one of 10000 miles at 10 knots or less.
Nope, they should re think theyre entire processing procedures . To do that would require an Imam or two on board and a competent butchery crew. The Muslims have a butchery ceremony that doesnt allow stunning (simi9lar to Jewish rabbis killing chickens).

Its amazing how, two cultures who hate each others guts , share almost the same ceremonies and procedures.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 09:25 pm
farmerman wrote:
Maybe this was discussed but why cant the Imams be prepared to slaughter the sheep in Australia and merely ship the carcasses to their destination. OR have Imams on board and begin slaughter as the ship leaves dock?

These far more humane approaches have been suggested to the Australian authorities, farmer. But they insist that the middle eastern buyers simply won't agree ... that they want to kill the sheep themselves. Which has led to these unfortunate animals spending weeks packed in tightly together on the ships, often arriving at their destination in terrible condition & having to be destroyed. Some dying on the ships. It is a barbaric trade. I'm glad the World Society for the Protection of Animals has started this campaign. Efforts from within Australia so far by animal welfare groups have (obviously) been unsuccessful.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 09:53 pm
farmerman wrote:
The Muslims have a butchery ceremony that doesnt allow stunning (simi9lar to Jewish rabbis killing chickens).

Its amazing how, two cultures who hate each others guts , share almost the same ceremonies and procedures.

There are lots of Turkish & Arabic eateries around where I live. With very good food, many of them. I don't purchase any meat dishes from the "halal meat only" places for that very reason. I just don't buy the theory that the animals are "grateful" to die (for god) without prior stunning. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 11:57 pm
msolga wrote:
And still the live sheep trade continues!
Shame, Australia, shame!Sad :

Australia faces hypocrisy charge over live exports
Lorna Edwards
February 13, 2008/the AGE

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2008/02/13/rgn_exports_narrowweb__300x436,0.jpg
Live exports are worth $1 billion.
Photo: Phillip Biggs

ANIMAL welfare agencies have accused the Rudd Government of hypocrisy in opposing Japanese whaling while supporting live animal exports, as Australia became the target of a new global campaign against the trade.

An alliance of 900 animal welfare agencies in 147 countries has set its sights on Australia as the largest live animal exporter in a three-year campaign launched this week by the World Society for the Protection of Animals in Australia, Europe and North America.

The Australian spokesman for the Handle With Care alliance, RSPCA president Hugh Wirth, said Australia was considered a cruel country internationally and the campaign could lead to consumer boycotts of Australian meat products in Europe and North America.

"The live export industry in Australia say they are following world's best practice, which is exactly what the Japanese are saying about whaling," Dr Wirth said.

The global campaign targeted both road and sea transport of animals and calls for the live trade to be replaced with the export of chilled meats.

In 2006, Australia exported 4 million live sheep to the Middle East with 36,000 dying in transit.

"We are launching this campaign globally … to ask the Australian Government in particular to bring an end to the cruel live export trade of sheep to the Middle East," said WSPA's director-general, Peter Davies, from the United Kingdom.

A spokesman for the industry, LiveCorp chief Cameron Hall, said he was disappointed by the campaign but defended Australia's presence in the Middle East markets through live exports as a catalyst for improving animal welfare standards in the region through training.

Minister for Agriculture Tony Burke has staunchly defended the $1 billion trade and said the Government would work with industry to improve animal welfare conditions in the Middle East.

But the RSPCA and Animals Australia said that this stance was at odds with the Government's opposition to Japanese whaling.

"We cannot condemn these terrible animal atrocities perpetuated by other nations when we are the world leader in this horrendous trade in animals," Animals Australia investigator Lyn White said.

After obtaining footage of ongoing abuses of Australian animals exported to the Middle East in December, Ms White said there was little evidence of improved conditions despite the training efforts made by Australia.

"Australia cannot separate itself from the suffering of these animals in the Middle East," she said.

But Mr Hall said halting Australia's live exports would do nothing to slow the trade because live animals would be obtained from other countries in North Africa, Asia and South America, which had less concern about animal welfare.

The WSPA-led campaign against live exports follows its three-year international campaign against whaling.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/australia-faces-hypocrisy-charge-over-live-exports/2008/02/12/1202760306649.html

Looks like a damned good argument for hypocrisy to me.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 12:31 am
I'm more interested in getting something done (finally!) about these terrible live exports than finding examples of inconsistencies (which no doubt you could find in any country, if you looked) .... however if international shaming is what's required to (finally!) get some action on this from our government, then so be it! This must be stopped!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 01:14 am
On (Oz) ABC's Four Corners tonight.
Not live sheep trade, but live cattle trade to Indonesia.
I don't know if I can stand to watch it, but no doubt we will find out a lot more!
Probably details in articles in tomorrow's newspapers. :

Quote:
Doco reveals Australian cattle tortured overseas
By Anne Worthington for Four Corners
Updated 42 minutes ago

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/201105/r775575_6634266.jpg
Animals Australia filmed in 11 randomly chosen abattoirs in Indonesia and provided the footage to Four Corners (ABC TV)

Horrific footage from inside Indonesian abattoirs that use Australian cattle has revealed abuse of the animals is widespread.

Footage to be aired on ABC1's Four Corners tonight shows animals kicked, thrashed and beaten, their throats hacked at, eyes gouged and tails broken.

According to analysis of the footage by RSPCA chief scientist Bidda Jones, some animals show signs of consciousness when they are dismembered.

In March this year, animal welfare campaigners Animals Australia filmed in 11 randomly chosen abattoirs in Indonesia and provided the footage to Four Corners.

More than a month later, a Four Corners team went to Indonesia and filmed in abattoirs where cattle suffered prolonged and painful deaths.

Animals Australia spokeswoman Lyn White brought Egypt's live export trade to a halt in 2006 after exposing animal cruelty in Cairo.

She says her suspicions were raised after the live export industry released a report in January describing animal welfare in Indonesia as generally good.

"We had assumed that because there were greater level of industry involvement in Indonesia, the treatment of the livestock would have been better," she said.

"But we couldn't have been more wrong." ....<cont>

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/05/30/3230817.htm
msolga

Reply Tue 31 May, 2011 05:48 am
@msolga,
Quote:
Live cattle exports to 11 Indonesian abattoirs investigated by the ABC's Four Corners program will be suspended, Agriculture Minister Joe Ludwig has confirmed.

Senator Ludwig told Labor Caucus of the decision as anger mounted over the scenes of mistreatment exposed on last night's program.

He said he was establishing an independent review to look at the whole supply chain of Australian cattle exports to Indonesia, and reserved the right to add more abattoirs to the list of banned facilities.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/05/31/3231665.htm

Fine & good, but I just wish we'd ban the live export of all such animals, full stop.
msolga

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 01:28 am
@msolga,
I just became a signatory to GetUp's urgent Ban Live Export campaign.

My name has been added to many other Australians with the same view.

An email on my behalf will now to sent to the Prime Minister & also to my local members supporting the ban.

If you would like to do the same, please find the details here.:

http://www.getup.org.au/campaigns/animals/live-export/ban-live-export?t=dXNlcmlkPTc1NTE4NyxlbWFpbGlkPTc5
farmerman

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 09:03 am
@msolga,
When this thread waas first opened it appeared that the data was several years old(like 10). Are these live "tight pack" shipments still going on?. Besides being inhumane, they are terribly inneficient because the loss of girth and "thriftiness" of animals crammed in a hold for several weeks makes their value decerase heavily.
I still dont understand why the Muslims dont send Imams to slaughter in Australia and the carcasses are then prepared for "sanctified" travel for the faithful to purschase at the point of destination. By doing so, the Jews and Greeks will require that the animals be slaughtered in the ritual fashion by an observant, then they are trussed and de-feathered and the head is left on the carcass with the fur still on and the evidence of the ritual slaughter still there.
Jews d it, Greeks do it,

The guys who buy lambs from us, often send substitute "butchers " to kill and truss the animals for the trip to the big city.

I definately agree that the inhumane treatment is unconscionable. How the religion allows suffering of the poor animals for some rite to be observed is stupid especially since there are ways to accomodate religion , humane teratment,and good economics
ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 09:08 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

When this thread waas first opened it appeared that the data was several years old(like 10). Are these live "tight pack" shipments still going on?

it was in 2008 (I haven't looked at it more recently)
farmerman

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 09:12 am
@farmerman,
In NZS, they dont ship live animals for slaughter (like the US), but there is a large market for breeding stock. We bought a Cormo Rm several years ago to add to our Corriedale stock and we had it shipped from NZ , where it went to Nova SCotia for quarantine . The ships that were used had large roomy keeper pens and the shipping cost more than the ram. The pens were over 100 sq ft each and were partially on a deck where the stock were fed , watered and allowed to exercise each day.
I know that Oz ships breeding stock (sheep, cattle and chickens) via ship and I wonder whether the stock ships are of a higher quality care and looser "packing".

Some of the breeding stock can bring severl tens of thousands each or more (depending on the linneage)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2011 09:24 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

When this thread waas first opened it appeared that the data was several years old(like 10). Are these live "tight pack" shipments still going on?. Besides being inhumane, they are terribly inneficient because the loss of girth and "thriftiness" of animals crammed in a hold for several weeks makes their value decerase heavily.
I still dont understand why the Muslims dont send Imams to slaughter in Australia and the carcasses are then prepared for "sanctified" travel for the faithful to purschase at the point of destination. By doing so, the Jews and Greeks will require that the animals be slaughtered in the ritual fashion by an observant, then they are trussed and de-feathered and the head is left on the carcass with the fur still on and the evidence of the ritual slaughter still there.
Jews d it, Greeks do it,

The guys who buy lambs from us, often send substitute "butchers " to kill and truss the animals for the trip to the big city.

I definately agree that the inhumane treatment is unconscionable. How the religion allows suffering of the poor animals for some rite to be observed is stupid especially since there are ways to accomodate religion , humane teratment,and good economics

There are, in fact, a number of slaughter houses observing strict halal practices and regularly checked by Muslims to ensure they meet their needs.

They also follow Australian law, and the animals are rendered unconscious before the bleeding stuff.

The killer is that the Australia livestock industry is forced to contribute heavily to a company which builds abbatoirs in these Muslim countries, and was supposed to be ensuring that Australian animals were being treated humanely.

As the Four Corners program showed, this has had no effect in some places. The program apparently showed Australian cattle being tortured by Indonesian slaughterers.

This has, at least, caused a huge outcry here, and sales to Indonesia have been suspended.

I hope the live export is soon as dead as the poor animals it tormented.

0 Replies