The 'N word' briefly revisited

snood

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 11:31 am
dyslexia wrote:
words, like flags and other symbols only have the power we give them.

That's real 'new-agey' sounding dys, and I agree with the Eleanor Roosevelt sentiment about 'no one being able to make you feel inferior without your permission', but the n-word has been imbued with a special poison for blacks. The 'n' word to blacks, when spoken by whites, has an impact that is not subjective. If it was as benign as you suggest, there would be no predictable reaction as the individuals involved changed.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 11:45 am
Some blacks' reactions to 'nigger' remind me of Muslim's reaction to the cartoons.

And, if blacks found it so objectionable, they wouldn't use it, and buy records promoting its use.

I gave hell to people who said it in the seventies. Now, I think we should say it until it loses it Super Stupid Mojo. Nobody has the right to a violent reaction.

It's a word. Like honkey, cracker, spic, germy, ..

'Nigger' has only been 'imbued' with what we imbue it with.

I heard a Tavis Smiley show re this recently. I was glad to at least hear the panel agree that no one is going to take the "indignation" about a word seriously, when it's used so frequently by blacks.

Okra fussed at Dave Chappelle over it, too. He said he's not a social critic, he's a comedian. I think people should get over it. It's an intentional mispronunciation of a country of origin, for crissakes. Move on.

If you want to stick it to Whitey, get an education and screw him in a board room. Piddling around about a word won't get anyone anywhere.

<anyway, MO.>

(I shouldn't have to keep saying some, but I will. Hope it will be viewed as implied some day.)
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 11:51 am
I am like so totally "new-agey" I'm like moving to Sedona and opening a shop selling crystals and glass pyramids and charts for the next alignment of the planets.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 12:56 pm
dyslexia wrote:
I am like so totally "new-agey" I'm like moving to Sedona and opening a shop selling crystals and glass pyramids and charts for the next alignment of the planets.

Hey I'm looking forward to getting MY senile guru status, so that I can make obtuse in-jokes to no-audience-in-particular whenever MY weakass submissions are challenged. Maybe I can raise lonely dental-floss, or something.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 12:58 pm
snood wrote:
I agree with the Eleanor Roosevelt sentiment about 'no one being able to make you feel inferior without your permission', .

I wish this were true.
But, even the strongest person gets stopped in their tracks when a racial slur is thrown at them.

As bear said, it can be just human nature that we 'hate' for race alone.
There is something about people, no matter who it is, that tries to find a way to make themselves feel superior to another.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 01:07 pm
There is something about people, no matter who it is, that tries to find a way to make themselves feel superior to another.

All too often the truth. -ed
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 01:57 pm
in reference to Maharishi's interviewing the Dead, "Be it ever so hummable, there's no place like om."
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 02:02 pm
dyslexia wrote:
in reference to Maharishi's interviewing the Dead, "Be it ever so hummable, there's no place like om."

...he said, muttering to himself as he adjusted his sitz bath.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 02:09 pm
nice to see in in good humour today snood, we don't see it all that often.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 02:14 pm
dyslexia wrote:
nice to see in in good humour today snood, we don't see it all that often.

"We", huh? You speaking for A2K in general, or just you and your other personalities?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 02:15 pm
http://static.flickr.com/32/98369453_af21c1bb70.jpg
0 Replies

dyslexia

although it may be inadequate I only have one personality, sorry to disappoint.
0 Replies

snood

By the way, Dys - I laugh all the time. I don't consider the subject matter here something to joke about - but you never let little stuff like that keep you from cracking yourself up, do you?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 02:17 pm
nope, beats the hell out of whinning.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 04:52 pm
Was that A freudian slip?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 05:23 pm
I was thinking about this thread today.

I had a conversation with a girl friend that ended with me saying "You are such a slut!" and us laughing our heads off.

If a man had called her a slut it wouldn't have been funny.

At all.

Context is very important when it comes to words.

I grew up in the south and I remember hearing people clear their throat and say "nigrah" but I knew what they really meant.

And 40 years later I moved west and learned that white girls who date black men say their boyfriend is "colored".

It all makes me crazy.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 05:38 pm
Interesting.

I make no comment about American black people calling each other Nigger, because it isn't my culture and history, but I LOATHE with a deep intensity hearing women calling each other sluts...and "moles" (which is what "moll" has become here) especially in anger.

I would never be able to use slut as a joke between friends, but I CAN use "tart" in that way sometimes.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 05:40 pm
Nothin' wrong with a good slut
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 05:41 pm
we have cobbler for dessert tonight.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 05:45 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
snood wrote:
I agree with the Eleanor Roosevelt sentiment about 'no one being able to make you feel inferior without your permission', .

I wish this were true.
But, even the strongest person gets stopped in their tracks when a racial slur is thrown at them.

As bear said, it can be just human nature that we 'hate' for race alone.

People can make others feel inferior very easily, and with no permission at all at all.

I suspect Eleanor was speaking in an inspiriting, rather than factual, way.
0 Replies