Drapes, Curtains, Blinds...

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 06:47 pm
So I have this new apartment, see. And it's a dreary shithole, see. So's I'm thinkin' I'll doll it up a little bit with some kind of window decor, see.

Anyone know where to buy this kind of crap cheap? I'm not sure if I want to just go simple and get blinds, or if I can find curtains or drapes (by the way, what the hell is the difference between drapes and curtains? Is there any?) that aren't too expensive.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and if I actually use your suggestion, you will receive a life-size poster of me jumping rope naked.

Thanks in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,226 • Replies: 44
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 06:49 pm
Nice try, kicky, trying to sound all macho and stuff.

We know you just want some nice curtains but are trying to protect your image.

Might I suggest something in a peach color?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 06:50 pm
Why thank you Gus. Peach makes me irritable though. You know, cuz I'm a manly man and ****.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 06:52 pm
I use burlap bags, kicky. Cut to size, then staple to the edges.

Some light filters through and it gives the place a nice muted look.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 06:52 pm
IKEA.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 06:53 pm
We've already been through this, soz. You're still patronizing that evil corporation?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 06:55 pm
Hmmm...not sure what's better...Ikea...burlap bags...Ikea...burlap bags...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 06:56 pm
I'm a tad iconoclastic in this. Go to the Salvation Army or Good Will or St. Vincent de Paul's, whatever.

Go to the section where they have things like bedspreads and table cloths. Since you are looking, you won't find anything. But, hey, I've gotten some wild and wonderful bunches of material in such places.

Put a nice looking rod, er, bar across the top of your window. Spend real money for that. Drape whatever over it and let it float a bit on the floor. Don't worry about hem, tuck any raw edge under.

To be osso bold, do this with two materials. I happen to have some bolts of taupe brocade.... and another one of sort of a coppery brocade.

These are going to have to battle for place when I unpack with a terrific blue green thing I got from the "Discovery Shop" back in Eureka just before I moved.

Oh, and just yesterday, while I was at the GoodWill on Coors Blvd., a woman behind me was buying two bolts of material, both of which I coveted. We had the same taste... sort of thoughtfully flash or trashy swell.

Play, man, you're the artist.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 06:57 pm
I have this image in my mind of kicky's apartment after the curtains have been purchased. Kicky stands back and examines his handiwork. And he is proud.....

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~desney/photographs/MSR2000/homestead4.jpg
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 07:06 pm
Oh, how utterly depressing, gustav.

Kicky, craigslist might help you.

You also could buy some cheap fabric,
woo the chinese lady at the alteration shop and she'll
make you nice curtains in exchange.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 07:07 pm
By bolts of material, I meant masses of material, not actual bolts, as from the fabric store. That is the easiest thing, to go to a great fabric store (salivating in memory of the adjunct to F&S on Pico..) and buy some yards of something you like.

That will be more expensive than stuff from thrift shops, at least it usually is.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 07:21 pm
Come by the store, Kicky, I'll fix you up with the good, cheap miniblinds.

Joe(Seriously, you know where)Nation
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 07:36 pm
Joe, I think, that's all he wanted!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 08:20 pm
Kicky - with all those great city stores you should be able to find something you like. Check out Pottery Barn and Room & Board.

Do you know you can get lights that fit around on the inside of a window and simulate sunlight? They are great for those little dark apartments. The other option is to work with dimness and make the place like a cozy nest, think Mongolian yurt.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 08:23 pm
Green Witch wrote:
The other option is to work with dimness and make the place like a cozy nest, think Mongolian yurt.

I already made that suggestion, Green Witch. What did you think the burlap bags were all about?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 08:36 pm
Go to the fabric store and get like a gazillion yards of muslin for $50.

Get a staple gun.

Cut off about four times as much muslin as the window is wide (or just do the whole damn wall). Staple on end, stape the other end, staple the middle, staple the middle of that and so on and so on and so on.

It'll look cool I promise.

If you need something heavier than muslin go to a photo supply store and buy a canvas backdrop (I can recommend a good supplier). You can get a seamless 10x60 backdrop in any shade in the universe for about $200.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 08:37 pm
I agree that if it was me, I'd want to just nose around at cool little resale-type shops and see what I could find. My experience with men, though, is that they (GENERALLY) want to walk in, find what they need within a few minutes, pay for it, and walk out.

IKEA is one of the best for that, in terms of price and selection.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 08:38 pm
Oooh, boomer's idea sounds cool.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 08:46 pm
My new yorker friend bought a lot of stuff from IKEA
Pretty nice. Simple lines, etc.

I don't have one here, I'd go to Target

Go see Joe to get the blinds, then, get some drapes to go over them, **** you don't want to look like you live in a warehouse do you?

BTW - drapes go all the way to the floor. Curtain are like what you hang in the kitchen, short.

Would you like to learn about valances, panels, scaves, finials?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 08:47 pm
Kicky check out this link for ideas.

Window Treatments
0 Replies