Parent problem.

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 07:42 pm
Hello A2K, I'm new here.

Anyways, I've got a little problem with my mom, and soon to be step father.
Not long ago, my mom ended a long relationship with a guy I really liked, named "Dave". I got along pretty good with him, and I considered him more or less my step-dad. When him and my mom broke up, it wasn't really a big deal to me, it seemed friendly, and I keep in touch with him. My younger brother's girlfriend works for him, and he is the god-father of my nephew.
Immediately after the break-up my mom was dating this new guy. The thing that really blew my mind, is even after being with Dave for about 5 years, she always had kept her own place. She spent the majority of her time at his house, but she always had her apartment. Anyways, within 2 weeks of beginning the new relationship with "James", she had given up her apartment, moved in with him completely, and sold alot of her belongings.
For about a month, I didn't meet this guy, as I moved away for school, and can only return home every few months. My very first night meeting him, I was in town staying with my brother and his family, and my mom invited me over for dinner. I drove over there, and me and my mom made dinner together while we waited for James to get home from work. He eventually showed up, and it was clear to me he had been drinking and driving. Later that night he opened 2 bottles of wine for dinner, and since me and my mom never have more than one glass with dinner, he drank the rest. Afterwards he insisted he needed to go to the liquor store, but I couldn't let him drive after drinking all that wine and God knows what else before that. I told him I would drive to the liquor store for him, since I needed cigarettes anyways, but he told me to take his car so I don't waste my own gas. No argument Razz
When I got into his car, the first thing I saw was, a mirror laying on the passenger seat, with a straw and a credit card on it.
I may never have done drugs, but I've seen enough movies to know exactly what that was for.
My concern is, this guy's drug and alcohol problems seem incredibly obvious, my mom is an RN, there is no way she can't see it.
Why would she give up her own home and life to go and live with this guy?
And how can I talk to her and tell her how concerned I am?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 607 • Replies: 4
No top replies

onthequiet

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 11:16 pm
Sovie , not ignoring you mate , just that this is a trikky situation . Ill speak to my wife tonight and see what she thinks .
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 08:54 am
I hate to be blunt, speaking about your mother, but the only thing I know of that can make a woman go to such extremes is great sex.
What do your brothers say about it/him?
0 Replies

Sovie Chang

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 10:52 am
My brothers don't really seem to have an open problem with him. Although I don't think they have seen everything I've seen. And they always have an unspoken problem with anyone my mom dates for the first few months at least.

My other siblings aren't really as close to my mom as I am. I was always the Momma's girl even though I'm not the only girl, or the youngest or anything.
The thing is now I am uncomfortable around them both, mostly him.
For all I know my mom is doing drugs, not just sitting back and watching.
This is really tearing at my mind, and I'm worried about my mom.
She has a really weak heart, has had 2 heart attacks before she even turned 40 (she's 45 now).
Over the last 5 years we have all helped my mom get back into a better state of health, and I worry that she is about to throw it all away.

I did a little research on Cocaine, and the things I learned make me worry even more. I worry for her heart and her mind.

Is this something I should just be brutally blunt about and say "mom, i know what's going on and I can't support it. I can't be around you if it's going on"? I want to but its my mom. We aren't supposed to talk to our parents like that, they should be the ones coming to us, and making us get our lives straight. I think that might be why this is so hard for me, she has turned me into the last thing I ever wanted to be ... a Parent.
0 Replies

maddendominata

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 01:06 pm
Oh my!
A few things stick out in all of this. I, too, am an RN. I work at a psych hospital and have been in a lot of weird relationships. One of the main traits of nurses are that many and/or most of us are co-dependents. Its our nature. Some are aware of this and others are oblivious. Read up on it and decide for yourself. I can guess that most of your mom's relationships had major aspects of co-dependence and addiction!
Second, I disagree with the member who stated great sex as the reason. Great sex couldn't motivate such a weak emotional move this woman has made. I seriously doubt it. Most of us men are horndogs and don't need to live with a woman to want to have sex with her, no matter how great it is. I think the situation is much deeper than that. It lies in her emotionally vulnerable state. I suspect many men with issues prey on a woman like her. And with her emotional state she is all to willing to be victimized out of pity or the desire to "fix" people as their caretaker.
Then their is another glaring statement that made me think something else. Birds of a feather fly together. I suspect your mother may have been on drugs for a long time and been hiding it from you. She could be abusing all kinds of drugs. Drug abuse is common for nurses and very prevalent. I feel this about her because not only is she with a man who is a bad alcoholic and drug abuser, but, also because of her heart attacks at an early age. The precursors could certainly be cocaine and alcohol use. They seem to go hand in hand with many alcoholics. Maybe in the past you were so busy in your own life you overlooked obvious signs. Maybe she was gone a lot and had what you considered reasonable excuses. Then again, maybe she is a great hider and has used the drugs for so long that the signs of intoxication are not as noticable. A real addict over years of abuse, takes maintainance doses regularly. If this is the case with her she could be using cocaine while using the bathroom, walking to the kitchen, going to her room, walking the dog, you name it. Its very easy to use and the pro's don't need credit cards, mirrors, razors, straws, and all that other paraphenelia you saw in his car. They can simply take "bumps" all day from a little inhaler. Getting a small amount on demand.
Tread lightly on any confrontation with your mom. It could lead to alienation, conflict, and other forms of resentment. Tact in addressing this issue is essential. Good luck! I wish the best for you and yours!
0 Replies