How Do You Deal with a Disorganized Boss?

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 10:35 am
My boss is so unorganized. We have a huge meeting coming up tomorrow and are still working on getting things together today. If it were me, I'd have had this **** done last week! Exclamation Exclamation Evil or Very Mad

I do not want to work overtime tonight, as my hubby and I have plans, but it looks like I might be because my boss can't get his **** together!

I tried to head it off. I met with him this morning to ask him what needed to be done today. I was very clear on the fact that I was leaving on time today because I had plans. I've been diligent today. I asked him to forward me the second of three projects that need to be put together and gotten ready for tomorrow because I was done with the first. 30 minutes later, he still hasn't done it! And now he is on a conference call and I can't bug him. I sent an email politely saying that I hadn't received the project yet. Nothing. WTF? Does he want me to sit here and just waste my day? Each project takes about 2 hours to complete. Which means I have at least 4 hours of work to do, and that's without interruption. Which we all know isn't going to happen. And it's 11:30 already. That puts me pretty freaking close to when I need to be outta here.

I am getting really really frustrated with this crap. It pisses me off to no end.

How do you deal with a disorganized boss when you are a very organized person?? I am learning to hate my job here!!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,314 • Replies: 31
No top replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 10:39 am
Bella Dea,

If you just let him take the fall for his disorganization, will that effect your job? As long as he has you to fix things maybe he won't get the point?

Personally, I think you should have his job and he should have yours. Then you could fire his butt! :wink:
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 10:42 am
Oh Bella. I've been there and truly feel your pain. Short of quitting, there's really not a damn thing that you can do.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 10:46 am
Well, yeah it effects my job because I can't get things done fast enough or he forgets to tell me and I don't know if he thinks that I should just know or if he thinks he told me and I forgot...I am losing my freakin' mind.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 10:48 am
Bella Dea,

Well, what if you just let a project slide because your boss did not do his part? Then, you could show him that, hey, if you had done your part, I could have done mine? Do you think that would work?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 10:49 am
I just can't...I just can't do that! Stupid work ethic!!!

Not to mention, if he goes down, I go down. We are a team.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 10:51 am
I hear ya, Bella. I figured as much. All I can do is to tell you that if you can't accept the situation change it. I know that's easier said than done. I feel for you. I know how frustrating this can be.

I am sure you have sat him down and had a long talk with him about this?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 10:59 am
I've said something and it doesn't help.

This is so frustrating!! Still sitting here while that freaking project waits...I could be 30 minutes into it by now!!!!11
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 11:03 am
Bella Dea,

Ok, I had a boss like this a long time ago. I don't know if this is an option for you or not but it's a thought. I don't know if you are his secretary or what your position is but perhaps you can adjust this idea to fit.

I would take a 3x5 card and put on it everything my boss had to accomplish for the day. It would be on his desk when he came in first thing. He had his meetings, projects, etc., on that card and he kept it in his pocket to keep him focused. He would pull it out during the day and actually got used to doing it. I don't know if this will help but maybe you could try it? You can put down on the card what you need and when you need it. Do you think this might help?

I know how frustrating this is Bella Dea, but there has to be some solution somewhere. Just hang in there, girl. It will work out. Laughing
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 11:04 am
I had a friend who worked for a national car rental company who was in this kind of situation. Everyone under this guy conspired by working hard to cover his faults, praised him to the sky and got him a promotion to a position where upper management could see what a disaster he was... and he was fired.

This is however a bit extreme.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 11:05 am
I just hope that you're not there late tonight while he leaves on time. That's what made me want to just strangle my boss. When you end up having to work late (whether getting paid for it or not) because they drug their feet all day. And then they skip out at 5:30.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 11:07 am
Well, he gets here an hour after me and leaves and hour after me. So for him, working til 6 isn't a big deal. For me, it's an extra hour! And its like he doesn't pay attention to the time.

ARG!!
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 11:09 am
Keep reminding him that youll be off at whatever time today and stick to your guns.
Your a team, that means working together, not just he does his bit when he feels like it then piles it onto you.

My bosses are th same, they forget absolutely everything, I forget things so I right a list of what I need to do then tick it off as i go.

We(I) had to book a ferry travel yesterday for a high priority call yesterday, everything was delayed so much one of my bosses said 'its far too late now, they wont travel back so late itl have to be done tomorrow'.
It turns out yuo could travel back late.
I needed to know who was going and what times they wanted etc I was getting so frustrated i let slip 'shall we hurry up then!', there was silence, I thought 'woops'.
It got done eventually.

If a boss is a boss they are supposed to lead by example, my bosses give a sh*t example , I swear I could do a better job than them, sadly i have become as bad as them as as it seems Im losing my job in a few weeks(they havnt actually told me directly)I dont se why I should make an effort!

Bella you have my every sympathy.If it was me Id let him stew as I walked out the door at home time.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 11:11 am
Yeah, he doesn't make me stay if he doesn't stay. That's the one good thing. But if he stays 30 minutes past his time, he doesn't realize that I am 1 hour 30 minutes past mine!!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 11:11 am
Ok, I am getting really pissed now. I WANT THAT PROJECT.

Still on the phone....chatter chatter chatter....

JUST SEND ME THE FREAKIN' PROJECT!!!!!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 11:13 am
Take a break. Go for a walk. We'll be here when you get back. You need to get away for a moment cause you're about ready to blow.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 11:14 am
It's not that he doesn't work...it's that he just does things in such a disorganized way, it takes twice as long to do.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 11:30 am
OK, FINALLY. I went in there and made him send it to me while I was standing there. HA!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 11:31 am
You go girl!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 11:40 am
I can empathize, Bella, but not help. I live with variations of this theme every day.
0 Replies