Into the Lions den

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 11:01 pm
I'm travelling to Washington, D.C. for a few days this month, and actually staying just a mile or so from the WH.

Now, tell me: what should/must I do or see there? Never been before.

Cheers

Cycloptichorn
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,351 • Replies: 32
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 11:22 pm
A Don't Miss is The Smithsonian - and trust me, you can't do it in one day.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 11:24 pm
I've heard you can't do it in three weeks.

I'll have all of a Thursday to sightsee, and on Friday after about 3 pm. I guess we'll do the national mall and all that stuff.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 11:46 pm
You can spend several days on the Mall with all the museums there.

You might want to visit Great Falls if you like nature.

Try visit Alexandria, an old port town. It's across the river in Virginia. Lots of shops and restraunts.

http://www.mapalexandriava.com/

Georgetown is a good spot to go for nightlife. Lot of student from Georgetown Univ hang out there. There you can find the steps from the movie "The Exorists"

http://www.cr.nps.gov/nr/travel/wash/sitelist.htm

http://www.cr.nps.gov/nr/travel/wash/sitelist.htm
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 12:14 am
Thanks!

Google maps makes things easy to plan out. The internets amaze me every day.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 12:51 am
Re: Into the Lions den
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I'm travelling to Washington, D.C. for a few days this month, and actually staying just a mile or so from the WH.

Now, tell me: what should/must I do or see there? Never been before.

Cheers

Cycloptichorn

Then, of course, there is a side trip to Baltimore...Fells Point...that would be a must on my list but only having a few days...do check out Georgetown, although I dunno, it's been years for me...
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 12:53 am
You obviously will not miss the Lincoln Memorial, what an awesome sight, of course, he was one of the presidents who authorized more electromic surveillance than Bush.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 12:56 am
xingu wrote:

Georgetown is a good spot to go for nightlife. Lot of student from Georgetown Univ hang out there. There you can find the steps from the movie "The Exorists"

I used to park in that gas station at the bottom of the steps when clubbing, used to be an 18 drinking age while Md was 21.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 01:25 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
You obviously will not miss the Lincoln Memorial, what an awesome sight, of course, he was one of the presidents who authorized more electromic surveillance than Bush.

HUH???
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 01:36 am
And they wonder why they lose elections.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 02:39 am
ART GALLERIES!!!!!

Ohmi!
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 06:02 am
Speaking of Lincoln;
http://www.nps.gov/foth/index.htm
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 06:21 am
Cyclo,

Too many Smithsonians to see in a day or two. Air & Space is real popular if you're into aircraft, astronauts and respective history. There's a second A&S out near Dulles airport that is basically a hanger full of aircraft includes the Enola Gay and a space shuttle. The Natural History museum is good also, but typical of most museums so doesn't rate as my favorite. National Art Museum is fascinating. American History, Industry, Indian, Museums are kind of boring, actually. Holocaust is good, but kind of a downer. Fun new museum, not Smithsonian, is the International Spy Museum (also not free; tix cost about $40 as I recall).

Seeing places like White House, Capital Building, Supreme Court, and FBI are best coordinated in advance with your congressman...might be too late, but you might try calling him/her anyway.

Going up the Washington Monument is also not real easy. You can get tickets on line for a nominal fee (about $2), or you can get to the Monument before 8 am the morning of your visit and wait in line for free tickets which will be scheduled sometime that day. When friends/family visit me, I cough up the $2 a ticket....well worth not waiting in line.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 07:51 am
Yes, Air & Space is really fascinating. And I do recommend the Holocaust Memorial Museum...

It's a pity you there are no tours of the Hoover building currently, but from what I've read you might be interested in visiting the Freemason's Temple on 16th Street (the churches street, hehehe...). It's on 16th and R, and if you're lucky you can get a tour of the whole building including the Library and the, uh, assembly room... whatever they call it!
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 08:08 am
Oh, and if you're like me and love to see a city 'from above' (and from different perspectives, somewhere else than atop the Washington Monument), you could either visit the Old Post Office building on Pennsylvania Avenue, roughly in the middle between the White House and the Capitol. Or you could go to the JFK Center for the Performing Arts. The building is not overly exciting, but there's a huge rooftop terrace, and you have a nice view on the Potomac River, the Watergate Hotel and the Lincoln Memorial. Both are free.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 08:45 am
timberlandko wrote:

Yeah, cos every one knows Roxxanne = The Democratic Party ... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 08:46 am
Btw, have a nice trip Cyclo! I was in DC, but it was ages ago, and only briefly ...
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 09:04 am
timberlandko wrote:

And Republicans wonder why they're perceived as humorless.... Laughing
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 09:05 am
If you like walking...

Get a parking space near the White House. Check out the White house from in front, you can then hit the following places of note... Washington Monument, Vietnam Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, Korean memorial, Original Smithstonian, Jefferson memorial, Capital bldg, many other important bldgs along the way on Constitution and Independance Aves.. It's a nice walk around the mall, but be sure to have good shoes.

A short drive from there is Arlington. A somber place, but important to see.

From there, the city is your oyster. A little research of places of interest and you are all set. Enjoy your trip!
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 09:15 am
mysteryman wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:

HUH???

Don't "huh" me because you are so poorly informed that you don't get topical humor.
0 Replies