Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 04:57 pm
McGentrix wrote:
...Better to pay dollars than lives.
or euros?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 05:23 pm
Iran if they are so inclined will develop a nuclear capability. And there is not a damn thing that the US can do or the EU will do about it. Bush of course will, as always, use the fear as a political weapon. However, I can't believe he could be so stupid as to pull an Iraq on Iran.

As for that high priced debating society, the UN. They will continue to do what they always do. Debate.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 06:26 pm
Some information on the subject.

http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?ItemID=9073
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 06:36 pm
au1929 wrote:
Iran if they are so inclined will develop a nuclear capability. And there is not a damn thing that the US can do or the EU will do about it. Bush of course will, as always, use the fear as a political weapon. However, I can't believe he could be so stupid as to pull an Iraq on Iran.

As for that high priced debating society, the UN. They will continue to do what they always do. Debate.

This Administration is quite capable of being this venal, and they will tell George what a heroic war President he is, and bingo ... war in Iran!

They ARE part of the Axis of Evil you know! In reaction to Bushes attacking Iraq and his sabre rattling, they have kicked out their moderate West leaning leadership! They replaced them with a fanatical bunch of hardline Islamists that want Isreal obliterated.

Great job George, you're a mighty war President!!

Anon
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 06:42 pm
Mighty stupid one at that! GWB = George Wars Blindly
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 10:49 pm
Setanta wrote:
As is the case with Pakistan?

How about India, South Africa, Israel, North Korea?

Nuclear non-proliferation was a good idea proposed for cynical reasons. Originally, both the United States and Russia wanted to be sure the Chinese didn't get nukes. It didn't work. Pakistan, India, Israel, South Africa and North Korea have all demonstrated that a well-funded research project conducted by competent physicists can produce atomic weapons. The big boys wanted to be sure no one else could join the nuclear club, because the equations were difficult enough as it was. But you can't put the genie back in the bottle.

Your entire position is predicated upon the assumption that an Islamic state must necessarily be irresponsible with respect to terrorists. Pakistan is not an Islamic state, but anyone who cannot see the extent to which Islamic fundamentalist fanaticism grips that nation is living in la-la land. I wonder if you got this worked up over the idea that the Israelis were building nukes.

When every man, woman, child, cat, and dog has nukes, both the good and the bad, they will be used somehow, somewhere. Surely it's obvious that that is all but certain. It is strongly in our interest not to allow this scenario to come to pass, particularly with countries that a reasonable person would consider high risk.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 10:50 pm
au1929 wrote:

And if so many countries get the bomb that use becomes almost certain? We should just sit back and let that happen, I suppose?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 07:43 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
au1929 wrote:

And if so many countries get the bomb that use becomes almost certain? We should just sit back and let that happen, I suppose?

"Almost certain"? That's an example of the exaggeration and inexactitude I referred to. Use is, or would be, suicidal for any party who did deploy such a weapon, as Set pointed out and as history over the last fifty plus years demonstrates. There are already how many nuclear-armed nations?

Really all you can say is that increased proliferation is a negative as it makes raises the possibility of use, to some degree, which is why proliferation ought prudently to be minimized.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 08:13 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Nuclear non-proliferation was a good idea proposed for cynical reasons. Originally, both the United States and Russia wanted to be sure the Chinese didn't get nukes. It didn't work. Pakistan, India, Israel, South Africa and North Korea have all demonstrated that a well-funded research project conducted by competent physicists can produce atomic weapons. The big boys wanted to be sure no one else could join the nuclear club, because the equations were difficult enough as it was. But you can't put the genie back in the bottle.

Your entire position is predicated upon the assumption that an Islamic state must necessarily be irresponsible with respect to terrorists. Pakistan is not an Islamic state, but anyone who cannot see the extent to which Islamic fundamentalist fanaticism grips that nation is living in la-la land. I wonder if you got this worked up over the idea that the Israelis were building nukes.

When every man, woman, child, cat, and dog has nukes, both the good and the bad, they will be used somehow, somewhere. Surely it's obvious that that is all but certain. It is strongly in our interest not to allow this scenario to come to pass, particularly with countries that a reasonable person would consider high risk.

I see you choose to side step the question of those small nations other than Iran which already have nukes--quite rightly, as it so clearly embarrasses your silly thesis. You make your argument even more ridiculous with the "every man, woman, child, cat and dog" statement. It is not reasonable to assume that the possession of nukes by any particular nation make it more likely that they will be used--since 1945, atomic military devices have proliferated from a handful to tens of thousands, and have been made into all manner of bombs and artillery shells--and yet have not been used since that attack on Nagasaki. You ignore (once again, an embarrassment to your naive and facile argument) that Pakistan has nukes, has had for years, and has a significant violent, Islamic fundamentalist element in its population. Your remark about what a reasonable person would consider high risk is meaningless, as your hysteria and exaggeration about threats and threat possibilities in the middle east in these fora over the last few years in no way suggest that you are reasonable when discussing this topic.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 08:27 am
Who's Next?

-- Tom Lehrer

First we got the bomb, and that was good,
'Cause we love peace and motherhood.
Then Russia got the bomb, but that's okay,
'Cause the balance of power's maintained that way.
Who's next?

France got the bomb, but don't you grieve,
'Cause they're on our side (I believe).
China got the bomb, but have no fears,
They can't wipe us out for at least five years.
Who's next?

Then Indonesia claimed that they
Were gonna get one any day.
South Africa wants two, that's right:
One for the black and one for the white.
Who's next?

Egypt's gonna get one too,
Just to use on you know who.
So Israel's getting tense.
Wants one in self defense.
"The Lord's our shepherd," says the psalm,
But just in case, we better get a bomb.
Who's next?

Luxembourg is next to go,
And (who knows?) maybe Monaco.
We'll try to stay serene and calm
When Alabama gets the bomb.
Who's next?
Who's next?
Who's next?
Who's next?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 08:28 am
The Envoy

-- Warren Zevon (to whom the copyright, 1980)

Nuclear arms in the Middle East
Israel is attacking the Iraqis
The Syrians are mad at the Lebanese
And Baghdad does whatever she please
Looks like another threat to world peace
For the envoy

Things got hot in El Salvador
CIA got caught and couldn't do no more
He's got diplomatic immunity
He's got a lethal weapon that nobody sees
For the envoy
Send the envoy
Send the envoy

Whenever there's a crisis
The President sends his envoy in
Guns in Damascus
Woa, Jerusalem

Nuclear arms in the Middle East
Israel is attacking the Iraqis
The Syrians are mad at the Lebanese
And Baghdad do whatever she please
For the envoy
Send the envoy . . .
Send for me
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 08:47 am
Iran is playing for high stakes because we have dealt them a strong hand, through our incompetencies in Iraq.

Or maybe all the talk about a new Iraq, you know not a theocracy nor military dictatorship but a peaceful democracy with increasing living standards was just more wmd type bull. That is the war planners had a pretty good idea it would turn out like this...a mess. But America controls the bits of Iraq its interested in...the Government, and the oil fields and thats all that really matters.

There are significant elements within Iran who are heartily sick of the Islamic republic. I wouldnt put it past USUK to engineer (another) coup d'etat.

But they would be reluctant to try it if Ahma-mad-bad- dinner-lad actually had a nuclear weapon or two, or even if he was within grasp of one. The Iranians are not stupid. They are making nuclear hay whilst the sun shines.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 10:08 am
blatham wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
au1929 wrote:

"Almost certain"? That's an example of the exaggeration and inexactitude I referred to. Use is, or would be, suicidal for any party who did deploy such a weapon, as Set pointed out and as history over the last fifty plus years demonstrates. There are already how many nuclear-armed nations?

Really all you can say is that increased proliferation is a negative as it makes raises the possibility of use, to some degree, which is why proliferation ought prudently to be minimized.

I think you can make a stronger statement:

When lots and lots of countries are armed to the teeth with WMD, including the most despotic, unstable, and terroristic countries, eventual use is very likely.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 10:09 am
My suggestion is that we all stop worrying and learn to love the bomb.....man that's practically like a catch phrase or something isn't it?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 10:12 am
Setanta wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Setanta wrote:

I see you choose to side step the question of those small nations other than Iran which already have nukes--quite rightly, as it so clearly embarrasses your silly thesis. You make your argument even more ridiculous with the "every man, woman, child, cat and dog" statement. It is not reasonable to assume that the possession of nukes by any particular nation make it more likely that they will be used--since 1945, atomic military devices have proliferated from a handful to tens of thousands, and have been made into all manner of bombs and artillery shells--and yet have not been used since that attack on Nagasaki. You ignore (once again, an embarrassment to your naive and facile argument) that Pakistan has nukes, has had for years, and has a significant violent, Islamic fundamentalist element in its population. Your remark about what a reasonable person would consider high risk is meaningless, as your hysteria and exaggeration about threats and threat possibilities in the middle east in these fora over the last few years in no way suggest that you are reasonable when discussing this topic.

Yes, Pakistan is a high risk entity to possess nukes. I disagree with your thesis. I think that as nukes proliferate to more and more countries, especially despotic countries, unstable countries, or countries that support terrorism, the likelihood that someone will use them at some point in time increases, and even becomes highly likely. I should think this would be hard to disagree with. When many, many countries have nukes, someone will eventually use one, or sell one to someone who will.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 10:55 am
Despotic countries are less likely to use nukes then our glorious war president. Small unstable despotic countries would be annihilated if they tried to use them. Large powers with dry drunk presidents have far less risk of retaliation if they choose to use nukes on small countries like Iran.

So, overall, I think we are more prone to use nuke than Iran.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/10/AR2005091001053_pf.html

Here's a recent article on why Iran wants nuclear weapons.
http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/HB09Ak02.html

Quote:
Two former Central Intelligence Agency officials who were directly involved in producing CIA estimates on Iran revealed in separate
interviews that the National Intelligence Estimates (NIEs) on Iran have consistently portrayed its concerns about the military threat posed by the United States as a central consideration in Tehran's nuclear policy.

That's one talent our dry drunk president has; creating enemies and making new terrorist.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 01:44 pm
brandon said
Quote:
I think you can make a stronger statement:

When lots and lots of countries are armed to the teeth with WMD, including the most despotic, unstable, and terroristic countries, eventual use is very likely.

Well, which is the one nation which has actually used a nuke? Which western nation is presently the only one pushing to develop technologies for future use of nukes? And thus who might most appropriately feel threatened with this weapon?

I don't think the US will get so nuts as to actually deploy this weapon again. If they do, I'll personally head over to whoever is involved and shove a hockey stick up their ass and slapshot their evil pea-brain (hello data-miner).

No, there is no reason to think it "very likely" though I understand you hold that view.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 04:06 pm
blatham wrote:
No, there is no reason to think it "very likely" though I understand you hold that view.

So, just to be sure I understand you, you think that if it gets to the point that 50 countries have nuclear weapons, including despotic regimes, unstable regimes, and regimes in sympathy or cooperation with terrorists, it will still not be very likely that a few nukes will be used. Is that right?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 04:35 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Yes, Pakistan is a high risk entity to possess nukes.

But it does not, apparently, bother you that we are allied with them for purposes of an alleged war on terror (which we left languishing on the vine to pursue the PNAC agenda in Iraq), and yet you seem to think it reasonable to be alarmed about Iran, a nation with a far more stable government.

Quote:
I disagree with your thesis.

No. . . really ? ! ? ! ?

Quote:
I think that as nukes proliferate to more and more countries, especially despotic countries, unstable countries, or countries that support terrorism, the likelihood that someone will use them at some point in time increases, and even becomes highly likely.

Yes, you habitually repeat your thesis without any more substantiation for your contentions than that it is based upon your surmise. You do this on all political threads, and you ignore any cogent arguments advanced against your thesis. South Africa was the very essence of a despotic nation when it acquired nuclear weapons. The support for bin Laden provided in Pakistan at the time of the Soviet intervention in Afghanistan was crucial to the establishment of al Qaeda, and Pakistan was developing its nuclear program at that time. There is no more despotic regime today than North Korea. Pakistan's government has never been stable since the nation was established in 1947. You have no evidence to offer, and you ignore any which is pointed out to you as being contradictory to your thesis. I suspect now that you will trot out one of your favorite whines and complain that you are being attacked personally and that your thesis has not been answered. That would be typical of your forensic method in a political thread, and it would be horsie poop.

For once, why don't you do what you always falsely whine that others do not do, and answer the propositions which have been advanced in contradiction of your opinion--that's all it is, an opinion, unsupported, and based upon vague generalities. You simply never address specific challenges to your vague generalities.

Quote:
I should think this would be hard to disagree with.

Yes, we are all familiar with your inability to consider the possibility that someone could completely disagree with you, while having an intelligent and considered basis for doing so.

Quote:
When many, many countries have nukes, someone will eventually use one, or sell one to someone who will.

Depends on what you mean by many. The United States, Russian, the Ukraine, France, England, South Africa, Israel, Pakistan, India, China, North Korea and very probably Brasil and Taiwan (the latter two denying it, but having the expertise and the will)--that number of nations (just off the top of my head, i may be forgetting some) seems to meet a reasonable definition of "many" to me. There could have been few nations less stable than the Federation which replaced the former Soviet Union, few nations more sympathetic to Islamic terrorism than Pakistan, few nations more despotic that North Korea--nevertheless, we have no evidence of nukes being sold to anyone.

Don't bother to reply, you get tediously quickly. Unless you come up with specific bases for your contentions, there's little point in continuing to present the same points to you over and over again, only to have you spew out more banal generalities which constitute nothing but an unsupported speculation.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 05:03 pm
Setanta wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Yes, Pakistan is a high risk entity to possess nukes.

But it does not, apparently, bother you that we are allied with them for purposes of an alleged war on terror (which we left languishing on the vine to pursue the PNAC agenda in Iraq), and yet you seem to think it reasonable to be alarmed about Iran, a nation with a far more stable government.

Quote:
I disagree with your thesis.

No. . . really ? ! ? ! ?

Quote:
I think that as nukes proliferate to more and more countries, especially despotic countries, unstable countries, or countries that support terrorism, the likelihood that someone will use them at some point in time increases, and even becomes highly likely.

Yes, you habitually repeat your thesis without any more substantiation for your contentions than that it is based upon your surmise. You do this on all political threads, and you ignore any cogent arguments advanced against your thesis. South Africa was the very essence of a despotic nation when it acquired nuclear weapons. The support for bin Laden provided in Pakistan at the time of the Soviet intervention in Afghanistan was crucial to the establishment of al Qaeda, and Pakistan was developing its nuclear program at that time. There is no more despotic regime today than North Korea. Pakistan's government has never been stable since the nation was established in 1947. You have no evidence to offer, and you ignore any which is pointed out to you as being contradictory to your thesis. I suspect now that you will trot out one of your favorite whines and complain that you are being attacked personally and that your thesis has not been answered. That would be typical of your forensic method in a political thread, and it would be horsie poop.

For once, why don't you do what you always falsely whine that others do not do, and answer the propositions which have been advanced in contradiction of your opinion--that's all it is, an opinion, unsupported, and based upon vague generalities. You simply never address specific challenges to your vague generalities.

Quote:
I should think this would be hard to disagree with.

Yes, we are all familiar with your inability to consider the possibility that someone could completely disagree with you, while having an intelligent and considered basis for doing so.

Quote:
When many, many countries have nukes, someone will eventually use one, or sell one to someone who will.

Depends on what you mean by many. The United States, Russian, the Ukraine, France, England, South Africa, Israel, Pakistan, India, China, North Korea and very probably Brasil and Taiwan (the latter two denying it, but having the expertise and the will)--that number of nations (just off the top of my head, i may be forgetting some) seems to meet a reasonable definition of "many" to me. There could have been few nations less stable than the Federation which replaced the former Soviet Union, few nations more sympathetic to Islamic terrorism than Pakistan, few nations more despotic that North Korea--nevertheless, we have no evidence of nukes being sold to anyone.

Don't bother to reply, you get tediously quickly. Unless you come up with specific bases for your contentions, there's little point in continuing to present the same points to you over and over again, only to have you spew out more banal generalities which constitute nothing but an unsupported speculation.

If I gave hand guns to everyone in my town, or your town, who asked me for one, regardless of his character or background, do you believe that I wouldn't be substantially increasing the likelihood that someone would get shot?
0 Replies