Dogs smell cancer.

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 09:53 pm
Household dogs can smell cancer and save lives.

Tests by the British Medical Journal published tests that showed remakarble results.
This is good news all around, many lives could be saved by our best friends.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/conditions/02/06/cohen.dogcancerdetect/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 778 • Replies: 9
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 09:59 pm
Very interesting. Presumably this is messy early observation, but can be tested further.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 10:00 pm
you know I was just thinking about this yesterday after seeing a show on dogs that sniff out truffles
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 10:02 pm
I thought it was pigs that sniffed out truffles. So cool about dogs doing it too! Laughing I wish cats could do those kind of things.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 10:11 pm
Dogs certainly smell truffles. I have a saved set of pages of some italian guys and their truffle hunting dogs from a magazine years ago that I framed for its piquancy and charm.

On smelling cancer, I dunno. But we need all the help we can get to detect things early. (Shut up, Pacco....)

I presume very early is out of the question, and very late is too late. What they are smelling is - of course - beyond me. But if dogs can pick up some intermediate ca's, geez, Louise. We'd probably have drug companies shooting dogs.

No, no, I didn't really mean that. Or did I?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 10:47 pm
Dogs certainly smell.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 10:50 pm
That too.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 11:12 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Very interesting. Presumably this is messy early observation, but can be tested further.

Hey LambShanks,

This has actually been proven. A cancer survivor who went through all the things we go through had a dog that lived through it with him. Not too long after that, he had the dog in his office on a Saturday while the staff was preparing for a move. The dog trotted off and locked in on another guy there, and wouldn't leave his side. This happened on three different days. It didn't occur to them at the time, but the guy ended up with the same identical cancer that the dogs owner was afflicted with. I will try to find the link ... I've definitely have it here somewhere.

P.S. I'm glad your move has gone so well! Dys and Diane ... what a great couple, eh!! Dys has always been one of my favorite people!!

Anon
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 11:17 pm
<heh, I won't tell Dys you said that, she says, chuckling... I know you two bat acerbicities back and forth>

I am a keen admirer of both D and D and don't want to embarrass them about it. So, now, I'll harp on their flaws... clawing... oh, what's this?
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 11:24 pm
ossobuco wrote:
<heh, I won't tell Dys you said that, she says, chuckling... I know you two bat acerbicities back and forth>

I am a keen admirer of both D and D and don't want to embarrass them about it. So, now, I'll harp on their flaws... clawing... oh, what's this?
I'm afraid the old hick already knows it!

Diane must be a SAINT having to put up with the old fart Smile

Anon
0 Replies