Sephardic jews (conversos) of New Mexico

troutlaf

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2009 03:56 pm
Does anyone know more History or places to find out how to track this ancestery, through either pdf land grant files or such. I come from a lineage of N. New Mexican Jewish ancestory whcih has been covered like so many others and is now safguarded and i do not have any documents which have been guareded by family members, but would liek to know if any one knows of the Jewish ancestory surrounding the Fernandez family of N. New Mexico coming from a lineage of royalty based out of spain or austria and settling in N.M. with a land grant and under the pretense of a "protestant background". Just cruious. I remeber recalling something about being related to a King Fernando in Austria, but can't recall much else, but know it has been covered and lost yet i am convinced of my jewish roots.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2011 11:57 pm
Interesting.
0 Replies

Sanlobotres

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2012 08:19 pm
I began my amazing journey of discovery into researching my jewish roots, when I googled the word "munchos". I found out that it was not bad Spanish used along the border of Mexico and the US (specifically Laredo, TX), but rather a word of the Ladino Language, the language of the Sephardic jews. Then I found out that Bunuelos, flour tortillas, preference for cabrito, lentejas soups, capirotada, pan de campo, fideos, breaking of eggs into a separate container, prior to frying, etc. Then I found out about Sephardim. Com and the rolls of surnames that are of Sephardic jewish origin...there I found all the last names in our family....Garzas, Garcias, Lopez, Martinez, Santos, Hernandez, del Bosque, Ancira, Barrientos, etc. I am now looking for a reconstruction group in Dallas (maybe Sephardic so that I may learn more.)
jespah

Reply Tue 3 Jan, 2012 04:25 am
@Sanlobotres,
Hi and welcome!

I can't say as I know much about it. The name Ternera is in my ancestry (it's Spanish for calf) so I am, most likely, part-Sephardic, but the where and when are lost to the ages as the branch with that name in my family were in Austro-Hungary and no one spoke Ladino that I ever knew of.
Sandy65

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 10:33 pm
@jespah,
How did you find out that Ternera is in your ancestry? I have Terners in mine but don't know how to link to Spain.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 10:36 pm
The songs are great, though, like "Hava Tequila"
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 10:45 pm
I no longer just like my real estate agent that Bob was happy about, the one with the great history. Don't hate her either, but sheesh.
0 Replies