Whose fault was the Cold War??

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 10:21 pm
"There have been three distinct periods in the western study of the Cold War: traditionalist, revisionist, and post-revisionist. For more than a decade after the end of World War II, few American historians saw any reason to challenge the conventional "traditionalist" interpretation of the beginning of the Cold War: that the breakdown of relations was a direct result of Stalin's violation of the accords of the Yalta conference, the imposition of Soviet-dominated governments on an unwilling Eastern Europe, Soviet intransigence, and aggressive Soviet expansionism. They would point out that Marxist theory reject liberal democracy, prescribe a worldwide proletarian revolution, and argue that this made the conflict inevitable. Organizations such as the Comintern actively worked for the overthrow of all Western governments.

However, later "revisionist" historians, especially William Appleman Williams in his 1959 The Tragedy of American Diplomacy and Walter LaFeber in his 1967 America, Russia, and the Cold War, 1945-1968, articulated an overriding concern: U.S. commitment to maintaining an "open door" for American trade in world markets. Some revisionist historians have argued that U.S. policy of containment as expressed in the Truman Doctrine were at least equally to blame, if not more so. Some date the onset of the Cold War to the Atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, regarding the U.S. use of nuclear weapons as a warning to the Soviet Union, which was about to join the war against the nearly defeated Japan. In short, historians have disagreed as to who was responsible for the breakdown of U.S.-Soviet relations and whether the conflict between the two superpowers was inevitable. This revisionist approach reached its height during the Vietnam War when many began to view the U.S. and U.S.S.R. as morally comparable empires.

In the later years of the Cold War, there were attempts to forge a "post-revisionist" synthesis by historians, and since the end of the Cold War, the post-revisionist school has come to dominate. Prominent post-revisionist historians include John Lewis Gaddis and Melvyn Leffler. Rather than attributing the beginning of the Cold War to either superpower, post-revisionist historians focused on mutual misperception, mutual reactivity, and shared responsibility between the superpowers."

This is from wikipedia. I tend to agree with the post-revisionist analysis. This sparked my interest because I hear guys like Gore Vidal say that it's entirely America's fault and I'm perplexed at how he comes to this conclusion.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,221 • Replies: 5
No top replies

John Creasy

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 09:43 am
anyone, anyone seen bueller???
0 Replies

Mandso

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 11:07 pm
i fear that no-one knows the answer, mate
ah well - we've all been there
(i didn't read the article, but i belive that all that contribute to a war are as responsible as the next person, because war is a desgusting act, and i bet it'll be the day when there is no-one in the world who wants war)
0 Replies

Mandso

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 11:08 pm
i fear that no-one knows the answer, mate
ah well - we've all been there
(i didn't read the article, but i belive that all that contribute to a war are as responsible as the next person, because war is a desgusting act, and i bet it'll be the day when there is no-one in the world who wants war)
0 Replies

graemedaulby

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 11:47 am
the clod war is a complicated thing.. there is no easy answer to whose fault it is, could it be Einstein, who invented nukes to begin with. or Russia, who played a huge roll. its a tough one.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 12:57 am
Einstein didn't participate in the Manhattan Project.

The prelude to the Cold War, I think, started with Stalin's paranoia, Roosevelt's "free trade" post-war policy, no second front in more eastern part of Europe, and the exaggeration of the Soviet threat by Truman and Churchill.

They all can be argued against though (except maybe the first one).
As to what directly causes and sustain the cold war, I agree with the post-revisionist as well.
0 Replies