Daytona Cubs Player’s Pitch Brings Osprey Down

Piffka

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 03:16 pm
Daytona Cubs Player's Pitch Brings Osprey Down

By JAY STAPLETON
STAFF WRITER

Last update: 23 April 2003

DAYTONA BEACH -- It took several tries, but a Daytona Cubs pitcher knocked an osprey from its perch with a baseball during pre-game practice, witnesses said.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/downloads/423bird1.jpg
"The Ospreys, Ozzy & Harriet, March 2003"

Jae-kuk Ryu could face animal cruelty charges for the incident Monday night at Jackie Robinson Ballpark.

"The bird's eye was gushing blood," said Chad Efron, a trainer with the Class A Port St. Lucie Mets. "I started yelling at (Ryu). I got all fired up."

The bird, which had been nesting with its mate and a brood of fuzzy chicks on a 40-foot light pole over left field, fell in a pile of feathers. It was being treated for a serious eye injury Tuesday.

Cubs management had little to say about the way the bird they call Ozzy was injured. But witnesses who saw the Cubs player apparently intentionally hit the osprey were outraged.

"He laughed when he missed," Efron, 26, said. "Then he acted like he was sorry when the bird was laying there."

Link to the Entire Article

-----------
WHAT A CREEP!

Note: In Florida, unlike many other states, the Osprey is not endangered but is designated a "Species of Special Concern."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,554 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2003 10:09 am
Perhaps deportation would be appropriate, assuming, of course, he's not a US citizen. If he is, then jail time would be fine, too.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2003 11:37 am
I'm glad somebody noticed this topic! Thanks, D'A!!

I'd heard about this through the UW Tweeters... the scoop is he's been charged with a misdemeanor and small fine, and was sent to another club in the midwest. The sad thing is he probably thinks he's been wronged, blaming the bird and nature-lovers not his own actions.

It would be nice if he'd turn into a poster child for Wildlife preservation, but he speaks almost no English.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2003 12:15 pm
Well, I hope his new team plays in a town without much wildlife nearby. The guy sounds dangerous...
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2003 12:27 pm
To be honest, I think the punishment was fair.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2003 12:39 pm
A small fine?

This is a bird on the endangered species list on most states.The federal government has been trying to get its population to stabilize. In case you didn't know... both parents are needed to feed those four baby chicks. There's no way a single parent will be able to do it. If it had been a dog feeding its puppies, would you feel differently?

The problem is the pitcher seems ignorant and unfeeling. Will he get the message? Will others? It's bad PR for baseball, that's for sure.

What would the law be in Mexico regarding wildlife protection?
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2003 01:18 pm
I think the guy is a jerk, but I don't fail to see his action as a crime punishable for deportation or a stiff jail sentence. Much less for taking away his right to amend and to work at a higher level in his profession.
I said it was fair also because, besides the fine, he was sent to a lesser team: a step back in what he really cares about, his career.

I don't know what the exact regulations may be in Mexico. It would depend on the species, not on the intention. If the species is endangered, it would be either jail or a harsh fine.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2003 01:30 pm
Well, I don't think he ought to be deported or jailed either. He's only a young kid -- but it would be good to make it a large enough fine that it hurts and... most importantly... for him and for others to see that it was a wrong thing to do. Make sure others know. It may have seemed like a great challenge to him to try and bean a bird -- but very wrong. As to the move to a lesser team, I thought both teams were single A. Baseball ought to be making a big deal about this, not sweeping it under the rug.

There is something very endearing of efforts on a soccer pitch to save the occasional animal that wanders on.I've seen players pushing and herding ducks, cats and dogs out of harm's way and these aren't even rare animals. Soccer fans would be outraged to see somebody try to nail a bird with a soccer ball, don't you think?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2003 01:40 pm
Quote:
Team sources said Ryu had tried to hit the osprey with baseballs before and had been warned to stop.

That quote was from the main article. There is a positive correlation between youngsters who are cruel to animals, and later commit heinous crimes against human beings. If I were the management of the team, I would watch this guy very carefully.

At the least, he should be charged with animal cruelty, and fined. I for one, would not want to be in the same bar that he is in on a Saturday night!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2003 12:45 pm
Very true, Phoenix, I think that correlation is very strong.

Being a Taoist... Very Happy ... I was pleased to find this while reading. I like the kindness of a sympathetic heart.

Complete Tract of The Quiet Way

Quote:
A SYMPATHETIC HEART.
The great virtue of heaven and earth is to create, and all living beings, men and animals alike, derive their vitality from this one and the same source. Nowhere under the sun is there a being that dislikes life and embraces death with joy.

To buy up captive animals for the sake of setting them free is nothing but an outburst of a sympathetic heart. Thoughtless people make light of puny creatures such as ants, spiders, etc., and wantonly kill them, having no thought of pity or remorse; but pious hearts refrain from such cruelty.

--from the notes of the Chinese Commentator, #13
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2003 01:48 pm
The Commentator is so right, Piffka. Viewed another way, Soame Jenyns (1704-1787) wrote: "There might be higher beings who torment us for their pleasure and utility in the same way we hunt animals."

Jae-kuk Ryu might benefit from the wisdom of either writer...
0 Replies