Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 07:47 pm
Are there any actual well established churches of Satanism, with a long history, dogma, sacred texts, rituals, etc?

What are the major denominations of Satanism?

What's the goal?

What's it all about?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,704 • Replies: 110
No top replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 07:48 pm
Ask Docktor S. He has a thread called Autotheism I believe in which he says he is a satanist.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 08:07 pm
I'm interested, more from a socio-historic angle, in Satanist churches that might have been around for thousands of years. That would be interesting to read about.

A history of Satanism, written by an objective journalist type, or a scientist type, a person that is neither a Satanist or a Christian, Muslim, whatever.

An objective good study of it.

I wonder if there is a good source or book for that out there?

I don't know. I hesitate asking a devoted Satanist about Satanism or a Born-Again about Christianity.

I'd rather read the objective view on both...at this point.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 10:13 pm
Check this out.

http://religiousmovements.lib.virginia.edu/nrms/satanism/churchof.html
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 11:11 pm
That was kind of interesting. But still: that church seemed to have started in the 50s or 60s, and is sort of dying out now. That one dude started it, led it, and it is sort of dying after his death.

Has any church of Satanism been around for like an unbroken chain of 1000 years or so?
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 04:36 am
No.
Satanism has only existed since 1966.
Prior to that the word was used as a sort of derogatory label applied by christians to pretty much anyone else.

PS the church of Satan is not 'dying', it is growing exponentially.
What started as a cabal of less than 30 has grown into a member base of over 10,000.
And those are just the affiliated Satanists. There are lots perhaps the majority, that are of the non joining variety.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 04:18 pm
Do folks stick with it until they figure out that they are not god?
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 04:59 pm
real life wrote:

Most likely. They certainly don't leave because they 'found' God as his notable absence is most likely the reason they signed up in the first place.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 08:24 pm
real life wrote:

People with the comic book caricature of what 'god' means that you seem to have would never identify with Satanism in the first place.
Thus it wouldn't be a problem.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 10:09 pm
Doktor S wrote:
real life wrote:

People with the comic book caricature of what 'god' means that you seem to have would never identify with Satanism in the first place.

Well, it is humorous that a being, such as yourself, would describe himself as 'god' but is completely incapable of telling us how long within a mm his nose is, or why he thinks himself to be a god when he cannot keep himself from growing older and feebler each day.

Probably too boring for a comic book, but it might make a great SNL skit.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 10:16 pm
Questioner wrote:
real life wrote:

Most likely. They certainly don't leave because they 'found' God as his notable absence is most likely the reason they signed up in the first place.

From where is He absent and how did you determine this to be so?

Do you expect a noncorporeal being to be detectable by material means?

Maybe you should expect to smell music, or to hear colors?
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 12:21 am
real life wrote:
Doktor S wrote:
real life wrote:

Well, it is humorous that a being, such as yourself, would describe himself as 'god' but is completely incapable of telling us how long within a mm his nose is, or why he thinks himself to be a god when he cannot keep himself from growing older and feebler each day.

Probably too boring for a comic book, but it might make a great SNL skit.

QED
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 02:15 am
real life wrote:
Where was god during the Nazi's Final Solution?
real life wrote:
Do you expect a non corporeal being to be detectable by material means?
Sure why not? If god exists and is a non-corporeal being, surely he is all powerfu, right? And if he is all powerful, surely he can make himself detectable by material means, right? And if he can make himself detectable by material means surely he would do so to ensure the maximum number of saved individuals, right?

So.........what's the point of all the secrecy, and invisibility, and non-corporeal being nonsense?

It sounds like you have a lame duck excuse for a god that does not exist!
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 08:11 am
real life wrote:
Questioner wrote:
real life wrote:

Do you expect a noncorporeal being to be detectable by material means?

Perhaps I should expect you to call down fire from the heavens, or remove my mom's cancer by prayer, or end war in the middle east by beseeching your God.

Or is he merely limited to making sure the Sunday church softball game doesn't encounter rain, or parlor tricks?

Quote:
Maybe you should expect to smell music, or to hear colors

Your sarcastic retort is noted, and is as utterly ridiculous as your insistence that an invisible being exist at all. You have repeatedly stated that you believe prayer to be answered by this 'undetectable noncorporeal being', therefore you obviously believe he affects the corporeal.

However I, unlike you, attribute such events to happenstance and luck rather than to some divine being, the creator of the entire world, giving one whit about my headache going away soon.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 03:30 pm
I am very sorry to hear of your mom's cancer.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 04:28 pm
real life wrote:
I am very sorry to hear of your mom's cancer.

She doesn't have cancer, and that's not the point.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 09:12 pm
Well my point was, and still is that just as you don't watch TV with a radio, and you don't detect x-rays with a CB radio, so also you do not find evidence for a non-corporeal Being using material means.

If you expect to interact with a spiritual Being then you will soon figure out that you cannot see Him with your eyes or feel Him with your hands.

By definition, God transcends His creation.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 09:46 pm
real life wrote:

I can agree with the above statement, though it would be better worded:

Quote:
By definition, God transcends his creator.

Be that as it may, you say you have evidence that God works in your life. Many claim to feel his presence with them, and claim to see his works around them. So your insistence that none of those things apply is at odds with others of the christian faith.

And your original statement:
Quote:
is still quite misleading in that I have determined he is absent due to my being able to perceive him in any sense that matters.

Along those lines, you said:
Quote:
If you expect to interact with a spiritual Being then you will soon figure out that you cannot see Him with your eyes or feel Him with your hands.

which is just silly. When I made my original statement it was painfully obvious that I wasn't referring to this fictitious character popping up in my living room for a glass of water with lime. I have no notion of ever being able to 'place hands' upon him (pun fully intended) nor do I expect to ever physically see him.

The point which you are dancing about is that none of the 'reasons' you claim to know your god exists are in evidence to me. All of the 'miracles' and 'answered prayers' to me signify nothing more than luck or happenstance, and perhaps a bit of planning. As I've stated before, if you long for a particular thing for an extended period of time, EVENTUALLY something will happen to your benefit. This does NOT constitute the intervention of some high-holy bastard.

IMO.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 06:07 pm
Questioner wrote:
real life wrote:

I can agree with the above statement, though it would be better worded:

Quote:
By definition, God transcends his creator.

Your statement is without foundation.

Show evidence that man 'created' the God of the Bible.

Who, specifically, do you assert 'created' the God of the Bible and why did he do so?
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 07:23 pm
The men who wrote the Bible created its God.

The people who came up with the Greek and Roman mythologies created their Gods.

The tribes of American Indians created their gods.

The people who created the Hindu religion created their Gods.

The aborigines of Australia and the Polynesians of the Pacific created their Gods.

All Gods in existence are man made.

Granted, I believe in a one supreme God and the only thing I believe he teaches that is the one rule that is universal; the Golden Rule.

Other then that all religions and beliefs, their rituals and superstitions, are man made.

Why would one want to think that the Christian religion has supremacy over all other religions. Do you have any idea how many religions humans have practiced in the last 150,000 years? And now in the last two thousand years the Christian religion is suppose to be the one true religion and its God, the one who massacres children and slaughters whole cities and tribes, is the one true God we are suppose to revere?

If I'm going to believe in a God it will have to be one that does not behave like a despotic ruler and has such little regard for human life. For what God of the Bible has done to people for "disobedience" I may as well believe in Stalin.
0 Replies