Calling All Salad Recipes

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 10:53 pm
Please share with me some of your favorite salad recipes.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 5,078 • Replies: 29
No top replies

littlek

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 11:28 pm
green salad? Fruit salad? Tuna salad? Any of the aforementioned?
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 12:36 am
I was mostly thinking of garden or pasta salads. But I'll accept anything under the salad category! (potato, fruit, tuna, chicken, etc.)
Razz
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 11:31 am
If you look in A2k Portal, up on the right of the top of the page, you'll find
a whole lot of recipes in the Home and Gardening category -
I clicked on Salads and a lot of recipes for salads came up.

http://search.able2know.com/Home___Garden/Food___Drink/Recipes/Salads/index.html
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 11:56 am
I like fresh spinach leaves, sliced tomato, chopped onion and fresh mozzerella slices covered in olive oil and basalmic vinegar.

Yum.

I eat one almost every day.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 01:17 pm
Calling all salad
What we just had for lunch: cottage cheese with canned peaches (not the juice, just the fruit), little pieces of carrot, little pieces of celery, salad dressing. If you omit the peaches, throw in a lot of raisins.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 05:37 pm
WARM MUSHROOM SALAD
with toasted walnuts and stilton

Hot,buttery mushrooms and baby spinach are tossed with garlic croutes.

Prep time...10 mins
Cooking time...10 mins

1 small baguette,cut into 1 cm slices
50 grammes softened butter
1 clove garlic,crushed
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil ( I prefer Greek,but it's up to you )
250 grammes mushrooms ( feel free to experiment with different types ),cleaned and left whole
25 grammes of walnut halves
100 grammes of salad spinach
75 grammes of Blue Stilton,crumbled
1 tablespoon of Balsamic vinegar

1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees centigrade,or gas mark 6.Place the bread slices on a baking tray and cook in the oven for 5 minutes untill golden and toasted,turning once.Mash the butter and garlic together,then spread each slice with a little of the garlic butter.Return the bread to the oven for 5 minutes,untill the butter is melted.

2. Meanwhile,heat a frying pan over a high heat,add the olive oil and any remaining garlic butter.Allow the butter to foam,then add the mushrooms and cook for 4-5 minutes untill tender and just cooked.Tip the mushrooms into a bowl and wipe the pan with kitchen paper.

3. Place the walnut halves in the dry pan and toss gently for a minute or so,over a medium heat,to toast.Combine with the mushrooms,garlic croutes and spinach.Pile onto 2 warm plates,scatter with the Stilton and serve,drizzled with Balsamic vinegar.

Sorry about mixing metric and imperial measurements,but that's the price we pay for being part of the E.U. Embarrassed

Enjoy Cool
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 05:39 pm
Oh man that sounds delicious!

I'm adding to my grocery list right now.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 06:37 pm
I can't wait to try it!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 06:56 pm
Stray Cat wrote:
Please share with me some of your favorite salad recipes

Take a bowl and place it on the counter. (wipe clean if it hasn't been recently washed)

Add some lettuce, a gracious amount. Then, sprinkle some shredded cheddar cheese on top.

Toss a few croutons in the mix.

Top with some ranch dressing.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 07:04 pm
Wow, everybody! There are some great recipes here (and thanks for the link, osso!)

I can't wait to hear more. I love salads, and I'm always on the look out for more ideas.

Gus, I'm impressed. I didn't think you knew about croutons...
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 07:04 pm
Pfui gustav !!

Asparagus tips, cooked and cooled off
diced Strawberries, juice of 1 Orange.

Toss everything together and eat.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 07:08 pm
Stray Cat wrote:
Gus, I'm impressed. I didn't think you knew about croutons...

Several years back I had a roadside stand on the corner of Elm and 24th. I sold nothing but croutons and I was known around town as the "Crouton King"

I was quite proud of that nickname and miss the days of croutons.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 07:31 pm
Calling all salad
Here's what I posted in another thread (slightly different here):

Cooled cooked white rice - or brown if you prefer
Carrots
Celery
Raisins
Salad dressing any recipe, (but not creamy)

Be as generous as you like with all ingredients

I dice the celery and carrots fine enough so that they don't overwhelm each other; don't make the carrot pieces too big or people may find them too hard, but you want a certain amount of crunch. The veggies are raw, of course.

Either make your own salad dressing or use a commercial one that you like. Let each guest help him/herself to the dressing, but be sure it gets well stirred so that the oil doesn't separate from the other dressing ingredients.

You don't need salt or seasoning for this, because the dressing has enough.

BTW, if you add small pieces of leftover cooked chicken to this, it makes a very fine lunch - or dinner, even, depending on quantity you prepare.

Enjoy.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 03:46 pm
English Salad Sauce
This SAUCE,made from fresh cream and some cooked egg yolks makes a good dressing for potatoe,or for any other salad;also good for cold chicken or fish.Add a little curry powder and it's good for a macaroni salad.
This recipe was first made in 1845 Cool

3 eggs
1 tablespoon cold water
2 pinches of cayenne pepper
2 pinches of salt
5 fl oz double cream
4 teaspoons of white wine vinegar

Put the eggs in a saucepan of cold water (they must be completly covered),bring to the boil and boil for EXACTLY 9 minutes.Then run them under cold water to stop them from cooking.Peel away the shells and eat (Chef's perks) or discard the whites.and put the yolks only in a bowl.
Add the tablespoon of cold water and pound the yolks to a smooth paste with a wooden spoon.Add the cayenne pepper and the salt,and stir in the doube cream,bit by bit,mixing it smoothly as you go.When it's all in,add the vinegar.If you think the mixture's far too runny at this stage,don't worry.Cover the bowl and leave for a couple of hours in the fridge,after which time it will have thickened (it should,in any case,have the consistency of thickish cream rather than mayonnaise).

Enjoy :wink:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 03:48 pm
Get a large head of romaine lettuce. Get a fresh, juicy tomato, some green onions, small red radishes, cucumbers and black olives, grate some white cheese . . .

. . . then throw that mess out back for the rabbits, cook up a nice, big juicy cheeseburger and enjoy ! ! !
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 03:56 pm
Hey Set,without a sauce,that burger's gonna taste mighty dry :wink:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 04:10 pm
Not if ya got good meat an ya don't overcook it . . . personally, i like to hear my burger "moo" when i bite into it . . .
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 04:15 pm
What about the recipe with Walnuts, white raisins and green apples. That one is very good and different. It has lettice in it and stuff but I forgot exactly. It's just regular after the walnute, rasins and apples.

My favorite is still the "coffee shop dinner salad" though
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 04:33 pm
Setanta wrote:
Not if ya got good meat an ya don't overcook it . . . personally, i like to hear my burger "moo" when i bite into it . . .

LOL.
Hope you can trust your Butcher :wink: