I'm gonna be an teeture

Stray Cat

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 08:25 pm
Aww, littlek, if I lived there in Boston, I'd bring a casserole over to you. That's what you need, something you can freeze in individual portions. Then when you come home after one of those exhausting days, you can just heat up some good nourishing comfort food.

Then get a good night's sleep (and not on the floor with your dog!!).

Btw, I know a guy who is a teacher (he teaches high school physics) and spends his summers travelling. He's going to Greece, Turkey and Egypt this summer. Just think, if you hang in there and become a teacher, you can spend your summers travelling! That would be fun! I just wanted to give you a little extra incentive! Razz
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 09:05 pm
I just found this Littlek and congrats :-D

You'll make a fine teacher and I wish you the very best, from the bottom of my heart.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 09:12 pm
Thanks, Montana!

Stray, that is very kind of you!

I was just starting to recover from my weekend, when I caught my nephew's cold. I'm hoping it won't amount to much as I have a paper to write this weekend.......
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 09:19 pm
Take care of yourself, littlek!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 09:53 pm
Thanks, stray..... I'll try.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 10:04 pm
Ok, well, the next round (first course, second weekend) starts a week from friday. I have to have this book read and a paper written about it AND a little oral presentation and handout to boot. I have to prepare a second presentation about an issue in american school (paper is due late april). I have completed most of the petty little activities and journal entries. But, I also have to read another 5 chapters of textbook.

I have knocked a lot of a2k time off my schedule. I also read and write when I can at work (like two kids and a puppy don't keep me busy enough).

I have generally resigned myself to the fact that I will have very little free time in the next 2 years, but come on! I guess a funeral in there didn't help, but this is tough!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 10:07 pm
It's tough!

Definitely tough.

You can do it, though.

(What book, may I ask?)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 10:13 pm
The book is by Sonia Nieto, Language, Culture and Teaching: Critical Perspectives for a New Century. I need to write another book review. I should just start skimming it......

The text Is Foundations of Education (Ornstein).

The issue, a seperate paper, is international testing and how valid it is to use other nations' test score to judge our students.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 10:18 pm
I just boxed up my education books like 4 months ago, no shelf space (we need more bookcases), that one sounds very familiar, though. Language, Culture, and Teaching -- oooh! Just love that stuff.

This is one sub-topic I may have retained better than other stuff you've brought up (language and culture is at the center of a lot of my education and experience), so if I can be of any help, let me know.

Interesting issue paper, too.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 10:20 pm
Soz, I chose the book and issue - out of a list of each.

I'll let you know..... actually, this book was first pub'd in 2002, but she has had other books out.

Some basic info of the issue can be found by looking up PISA. If'n you're interested.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 11:39 am
Lilk--

The issue you chose is really interesting! Hope you'll give a tiny summary. (The LAST thing you want to do, I bet...but just whenever the mood strikes you.)

I'm starting my 'folio' of practicum experiences. Did you have to do one?

<sympathy for lilk. I bet her butt is dragging right about now. she'll be so sleepy!>
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 03:02 pm
Butt is dragging, for sure. Lash, I posted my Nieto paper on my booke review/report thread. I can summarize PISA in a bit - need to do more research. I can list some info about various books other classmates reviewed.....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 03:03 pm
Oh, and we will do a portfolio for the program and use it as a resume almost when we go out for jobs.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 03:33 pm
If you are ever amenable to giving bits of how you organize it and what you include, I'd LOVE to hear it.

I thought I needed to copy the one I'm handing in for a 'partial resume' as well. I'm wondering...bind it in something a bit classy or a nice regular 'school binder.'

So far, I'm writing impressions up by the class/teacher. I'm thinking of arranging those by Exceptional students...regular ed students.

Meh!

I know you're probably schooled out, but just wanted to let you know I'm interested in your thoughts whenever you feel like TYPING EVEN MORE CRAP ABOUT WHAT YOU'VE ALREADY TYPED...

Smile

Heh!

Re the other impressions... if that's easy for you to do-- copy and paste--I'd LOVE that!!

Hope you get time to chill today!!
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 06:16 pm
Lash - if I may ask, what grades are you interested in teaching?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 06:20 pm
Sure.

I'm going to double major in English Lit and History, and then get the MAT.

I need to work, so I'll start with High School or Middle, while I get my six year and then, try to get on at a Community/Junior College.

Will you be working in the school system?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 08:40 pm
Lash wrote:
Sure.

I'm going to double major in English Lit and History, and then get the MAT.

I need to work, so I'll start with High School or Middle, while I get my six year and then, try to get on at a Community/Junior College.

Will you be working in the school system?

Not sure yet. I will either get my LPC and do family counseling, or do two years as a teacher, then do school counseling - or both. I have teaching in my blood after being an instructor in the Army for several years, so I'm not ruling out teaching longer than just the two years.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 08:52 pm
It's great to have those options.

One girl I know, who is working on her Master's in Psychology will be working in the school system, but as a Interdisciplinary Team Member. She'll advise the team as they formulate IEPs, and she'll perform psychological testing on students who are referred by their teachers.

That, to me, seemed interesting. There's a lot you can do with that degree.

Did Antwone Fisher influence your decision to go into Psychology?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 09:09 pm
Lash wrote:
It's great to have those options.

One girl I know, who is working on her Master's in Psychology will be working in the school system, but as a Interdisciplinary Team Member. She'll advise the team as they formulate IEPs, and she'll perform psychological testing on students who are referred by their teachers.

That, to me, seemed interesting. There's a lot you can do with that degree.

Did Antwone Fisher influence your decision to go into Psychology?

No. It was a good movie, though.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 09:11 pm
Someone said IEP!!!

<gag, choke, faint>

(I've had my fill of the damn things, from all possible perspectives.) (Not that they don't serve a valuable purpose, they just get a Pavlovian response out of me.)
0 Replies