I'm gonna be an teeture

littlek

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 05:52 pm
Feel better today. Big boss wasn't around. Mentor said not to worry, but that she wants to not have to be the liason for this kid anymore. That makes me nervous because I trust her level-headedness and she is the one who sees what's happening in the room. I did express this to her.
msolga

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 06:00 pm
@littlek,
Glad you're feeling better today, k. Good! Smile

I'm not sure of what the job the student's mentor is (in the US - it might mean something quite different in Oz). A staff member?

When does the meeting between the supervisor & the students occur? (Don't feel obliged to discuss anything online you'd prefer not to, OK?)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 06:14 pm
Mentors are experienced teachers (teaching at the school for years) who help new teachers. Since I am not officially a teacher in the eyes of the school admin, I don't get a mentor. Because each sped student needs a sped teacher liason, I have two women who are ultimately responsible for the kids I teach. They do the sped testing and run the IEP meetings and write the IEPs. I support the kids, modify tests and assignments, and communicate with the teachers and the homes.

Anyway, I have worked with one of the liason/teachers longer than the other, and she is generally more helpful and supportive. Thankfully, these moms are the parents of two of the helpful liason's students. But, now she wants to ditch one. i don't blame her. The guidance counselor is invovled, the director is involved. Too many cooks in the pot.

No i dea when the student-director meeting is to take place.
msolga

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 06:24 pm
@littlek,
Thanks for explaining that, k.

So you are not "officially" a teacher, but you are teaching? Interesting. Wink
littlek

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 06:57 pm
@msolga,
You know how it is. This is a way to cut corners.
roger

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 07:02 pm
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

Mentor said not to worry, but that she wants to not have to be the liason for this kid anymore.

I do not see how pointing this out could be to your disadvantage. That assumes you ever get a chance to say anything.
msolga

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 07:06 pm
@littlek,
Yup. Sure do. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 06:26 pm
@roger,
Roger, I don't understand your last post....

My supervisor came to observe me today - a surprise. It was an atypical class period in many ways. We're to talk about it together tomorrow.
msolga

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 06:29 pm
@littlek,
A surprise visit?

Why am I not surprised, k? Wink
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 06:38 pm
My observing professor has mostly great things to say...but she said I don't know the definition of "mean" and I need to look it up. I haven't developed a stern persona. Funny, considering my "persona" here...
littlek

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 06:44 pm
@Lash,
Lash, I can't remember what level you're teaching at.
Thomas

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 06:49 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
.but she said I don't know the definition of "mean" and I need to look it up.

(Nods.) I think that's a pretty common character flaw among teachers on A2K.
Lash

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 06:54 pm
@littlek,
Still student teaching...even though my pre-supposed target age is Middle School...I've spent two student teaching gigs in 9th...and one in 7th. I really like 6th - 10th.
littlek

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 06:56 pm
@Lash,
The oldest I've gotten in 8th. I like 7 and 8. You really do need to be mean. Bu this I mean that kids that age tend to push boundaries. If you can successfully nip problems in the begining of the year, than you are better off all year round. My problem is establishing The Line for the kids well enough.
Lash

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 07:08 pm
@littlek,
My prof's Rule #1: Never smile before Christmas. I realize I have to create a serious persona and a classroom mgmt plan I can enforce... (not my best thing)
msolga

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 07:09 pm
@Thomas,
We only get "nice" teachers here, Thomas! Wink
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 07:10 pm
@Lash,
LilK...if we wind up in high or middle together, we should start a lesson plan thread!! I have a few good ones!! I'd love to know what you're doing!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 07:15 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
My prof's Rule #1: Never smile before Christmas.

Now that sounds like a lot of fun, Lash! Neutral Wink

It gets better as you go, trust me.

One day before too long, you'll find it's simply YOU in front of that class, working with them ... and it'll work just fine! Because they'll be so engrossed in what you're offering them they won't be much of a problem at all! Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 07:16 pm
Especially in a special ed room, I think the kids see less of a boundary between them and me. It's a small group, I try to use humor to get them going, I share things from my life to try and get a connection, etc. Then suddenly we're pals. And people don't like it when pals tell them what to do. At least I think that is one of the dynamics I need to get under better control.

Lesson plan sharing sounds great. But, if I do get a middle school job at a place like the one I'm at now, the teachers tend to do much of the same thing. So, you'd be getting the 7th-grade lesson plans more than mine. I'm not sure how much wiggle room there is for individual teachers.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 07:26 pm
@littlek,
I meant that if she did not want to be the kid's mentor anymore, the kid might have other problems.

Not that I read back, I understand the mentors are mentoring other teachers, and not students. I guess I'm confused too.