Lash

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 09:13 pm
Now, I'm scared!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 09:15 pm
They're scary!!

Scaryscaryscary!

OK, I'll shut up. They're fine, they're just a prime example of the kind of endless bureaucracy that drove me out of education.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 09:16 pm
Note: they can be done well. In my experience (as the subject of IEPs as well as a member of a team creating IEPs for someone else), they often aren't, and the process can be excruciating.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 09:50 pm
So, SOz, how do you really feel about IEPs? Heh. We just learned all about them.

So, what's MAT and what's LCP?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 10:49 pm
LPC stands for licensed professional counselor.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 10:53 pm
Snood, I must have missed it, what is an LPC?

IEP - heh. Immunoelectrophoresis...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 10:58 pm
Interesting field, Snood. What's the difference between what you would do and what a social worker would do? I ask because I am unclear on why social workers are being put into school which already have counselors.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 10:59 pm
Just got the news. Congrats K.
You'll be a wonderful teacher.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 05:41 pm
MAT.

Master of Arts in Teaching.

They have JUST changed the path to teaching for Middle and High teaching track. You go into your discipline and get the BS/BA that way, then tack on a MAT at the end. It takes a year.

I'm sort of glad. I wanted as much English and History as I could get. I just hope we get enough instruction on how to deliver it successfully.

But, this really helps me for future goals. So, yay.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 05:42 pm
Thanks Ceili!

I just got news about my next course. The teacher is asking us to buy just one book. And it's under a hundred bucks. AND, the best part is that she doesn't require any pre-reading! Whoohooo!

Maybe I will buy Oblvion after all.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 05:43 pm
One year on top of the bachelor degree?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 05:47 pm
Could be 4 semesters.

It's intensive.

They JUST started announcing the program. Next semester is the first semester it's available at Georgia Southern.

I'm sure it isn't available at all schools yet.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 05:50 pm
Lash wrote:

They have JUST changed the path to teaching for Middle and High teaching track. You go into your discipline and get the BS/BA that way, then tack on a MAT at the end. It takes a year.

So.... 4 years for a bach and then one year for a MAT? Sorry, just still confused.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 06:05 pm
Here's the MAT brochure, lilk. At GSU.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 06:18 pm
hmm. I'll have to read that later. I am too burnt out to focus. But, I get the general idea.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 06:20 pm
Anyway, it's more like a year and a semester, unless you cram.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 06:27 pm
I getcha.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 06:32 pm
Lash - I read you're moving to Athens! Woohoo! Tell me alllll about it. I sort of miss that place.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok, I have to take the first of a series of state licensing tests tomorrow morning. It's a 4-hour test which rates you reading and writing literacy. I took the practice test and, since some of the grading would be subjective (not all t/f or multi-choice), I dunno if I would have passed or failed the practice. So, I bought a grammar book (my sticky spot) and never read it. So, now I need to cram info about predicates, compound subjects, and rules about commas, colons and semi-colons into my noggin and hold it there until tomorrow. I also have to write a couple essays.

So, what do I do to prep for the test, physically? I was going to not have a beer, but I figured I should since I normally do. Just one beer (tonight, not tomorrow morning). I ate some humos and pita for dinner, so far. What else? How could I possibly go to sleep by 10:30?

Any tips? Guidance? Words of wisdom?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 12 May, 2006 06:58 pm
littlek wrote:
One year on top of the bachelor degree?

Oh...I have two thirds of one of those......it was on top of your first degree (in my case an honours)...and, in this particular case, a perfectly worthless piece of ****. NOT that I am suggesting that such courses generally are...just that this one was.

If I had not decided school teaching was not for me, (though I DID love teaching senior English I discovered) I would have been fully qualified for secondary, but not primary, teaching.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 22 May, 2006 08:07 pm
Someone who actually wants to teach would find it quite useful, in the situation that was being discussed previously.
0 Replies