I'm gonna be an teeture

George

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 04:30 pm
littlek wrote:
I used to 'steam my head'. Now I use a neti pot. 6 oz of saline solution poured through the sinuses in one nostril and out the other. It ain't pretty, but it flushes the system really well.

[Runs screaming from the room]
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2008 08:53 pm
OOps, sorry George, I didn't know you were squeamish.
0 Replies

Stormwatch

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 12:25 pm
Diane wrote:
Do you know the old saw, "Those that can, do. Those that can't teach?" The way it should be said is, Those that can, do. Those that can do it better, teach."

Or maybe it should be; Those who can, teach. Those who can't, become insensitive, incompetent administrators.

Littlek, I'm sorry to hear about the hassel you've been through. Unfortunately in today's economy and with NCLB school administration has become more like a business rather than an investment in our children's future. Teachers and paras are looked at as disposable to be swapped and moved around in positions with no regard to the students the change impacts.

Teachers aren't even trusted anymore to make judgements about our students and to individualize education to fit the little personalities. It's becoming a one size fits all way of teaching..just do as you are told. It's got me pretty discouraged.

I'm a sped teacher/case manager who will be supervising 5 paras next school year. One has been my assistant for 6 years the other 4 will be 1:1s, brand new to me. I have always been able to be on the hiring committee for new teachers and paras in my school, but no teachers allowed anymore. Administration will be hiring exclusively.

I hope they hire someone like you, with heart...not just some yes-man with a heartbeat they can push around. I worry for MY kids.

Best of luck to you
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 03:05 pm
Glad to hear your take stormwatch. I can NOT believe there are no teachers on your school's hiring committees! We have teachers and parents involved with our principals when they hire. But, my feeling is that the ultimate decision is left to the principal. I may be wrong. What state do you teach in?

I understand the problem with NCLB. But, at least I am starting AFTER it was put into place. It must have been that much more difficult to deal with after you'd already been teaching.
0 Replies

Stormwatch

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 07:32 am
I teach in NH.

In the past, teachers were encouraged to be on hiring committees with the principal. Not so with our new administration. Our new superintendent is a control freak. He is very open about his opinion of teachers, which is basically that we can't be trusted to make any decisions and any we do make are wrong. This is true in all areas not just hiring. He refers to his staff as "positions", the schools as "cost centers" and has hired an HR person to do all the dirty work. It's all very big business like. We are losing a lot of good people because of him. I think it's going to be a rocky road for the next couple of years where I work.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 11:12 am
@littlek,
Bookmarking...
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 07:59 am
Little k, Hows teaching??
Thomas

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 11:52 am
@Lash,
You mean, in general? Teaching is horrible. I sure hope you never take it up as a profession.
Lash

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2010 05:02 pm
@Thomas,
LOL! Um...ok. (finishes application to teach in Oakland, CA...)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 05:01 pm
<sigh> Teaching isn't easy. I am stuck between a rock and a hard place and have colluding moms out to get me. (er, what happened to the spell check?)

msolga

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 05:12 pm
@littlek,
Quote:
<sigh> Teaching isn't easy. I am stuck between a rock and a hard place and have colluding moms out to get me. (er, what happened to the spell check?)

It isn't easy (by a long shot), k, I agree.

But could you expand on what you said? The part about a rock & a hard place & colluding moms.

What's happening?

0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 05:25 pm
Two moms spoke in person with my director today. Granted, I am sometimes frustrated with their kids, but boy-oh-boy had those moms been handed a line. And they gobbled it up hook, line and sinker. Had they spoken to me? No. Had they spoken to their childrens' liason? No. Now I need to line my ducks up and start building a history of what's been happening in my room.

The real kicker is that I was told what the moms said and then sent on my way. It was like a stink bomb went off and they closed me in the room with the fumes.
msolga

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 05:42 pm
@littlek,
Aw you poor thing, k.

I can never figure out why some parents feel they have to "go to the top", when sometimes all they require is a bit of clarification, perhaps a meeting with the teacher, to discuss the issue that's concerning them. This can make things unnecessarily unpleasant when sometimes the communication wires getting badly crossed is the real problem.

Quote:
No. Now I need to line my ducks up and start building a history of what's been happening in my room.

You have to "prove" to the administration that your programs is above reproach?

Quote:
The real kicker is that I was told what the moms said and then sent on my way. It was like a stink bomb went off and they closed me in the room with the fumes.

You weren't given any opportunity to clarify the situation with the director?
If so, that's horrible. AND bad management.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 05:43 pm
I don't feel I have to prove myself to my supervisor, but I want my data ready when we meet with the kids and or the moms.

No time to clarify at all. She told me to go home and have a big drink. I am, but the knots are still there in my stomach and my jaw and my back.....
msolga

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 05:58 pm
@littlek,
Very relieved you don't have to "prove yourself", k.

Quote:
I want my data ready when we meet with the kids and or the moms.

Yes. Absolutely.

Quote:
No time to clarify at all. She told me to go home and have a big drink.

Neutral Gee thanks! That's really helpful!

Quote:
but the knots are still there in my stomach and my jaw and my back....

Yes, I can understand that, k. That's not exactly a very nice to be treated. The manager should have given you the time to sit down & calmly explain your side of the story. She could have been a lot more supportive. Basically she doesn't want to be involved, by the sounds of it.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 06:07 pm
Thanks for listening MsO. Good to have an ear. The supervisor actually is planning on getting involved. I'd asked her to come observe a while back because I was feeling frustrated by this group and had already tried some strategies (Is the request in writing? I doubt it). She didn't come observe then. She says she will now. She also thinks she should sit down with the students to talk with them.
msolga

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 06:11 pm
@littlek,
My pleasure k.

Anytime.

And now, I suggest a good, long soak in the bath.

A little unwinding is called for! Smile

And good luck with the meeting!

littlek

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 06:12 pm
@msolga,
Thanks MsO.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 06:19 pm
@littlek,
Quote:
The supervisor actually is planning on getting involved. I'd asked her to come observe a while back because I was feeling frustrated by this group and had already tried some strategies (Is the request in writing? I doubt it). She didn't come observe then. She says she will now. She also thinks she should sit down with the students to talk with them.

A pity she couldn't have been involved & advising earlier, k.

I'd figure out if it actually suits YOU to have her sit down & talk with the students. If you think that would be helpful for you or not. If you don't think that would be helpful in the circumstances, I'd politely say so. It sounds like you wanted advice on strategies, not an intervention. But up to you, of course.

Anyway, none of this should be about blame. It should be to assisting you to work more effectively with that group.

littlek

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 06:22 pm
@msolga,
I can't say one way or the other that her sitting with the students would help or hurt the situation. She has a tendency to muddy the waters. I think she might be more effective with the kids than with the moms. <shrug>.