I'm gonna be an teeture

msolga

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 06:30 pm
@littlek,
Well, I think you'll know whether it'll be helpful or not after you've had the chance to sit down & talk with her about the situation, k.

I don't think it would be unreasonable (if she looks like talking to the group) to ask her what approach she plans to take with them, though. To be reassured that it will assist you, rather than possibly making things even worse.

And of course, you'll be there, too, when she's talking with them?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 06:31 pm
I've been sympathetically reading along. I don't have any helpful words to put in, except I believe in you.
msolga

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 06:33 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
I believe in you

Oh so do I, edgar!

Absolutely believe in k's integrity & that she's giving a difficult situation her very best shot! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 06:42 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
Teaching is horrible.

Could you expand on this comment of your, please, Thomas?

In depth! Wink
littlek

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 06:47 pm
She wants to speak with them alone and tell me what came up - much te same way that she spoke with the moms. Although in that situation she offered for me to come down, but the moms declined. I would have freaked if they'd said yes!
roger

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 06:50 pm
@littlek,
Spoke with the moms alone and plans to speak with the kids alone? What do they do then, email you the verdict?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 06:56 pm
She tells me what they say after the meeting. Basically she lets them rant, maybe guides the commentary, and writes down what they say. She calls it fact finding.
msolga

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 07:01 pm
@littlek,
Well, if it was me, k, I'd request that both of you speak to the group together. Having worked out a really good joint approach with your supervisor first, of course.

Up to you, of course.

But from the students' perspective .. they'd know that you're a united front on this & that they can't play "divide & conquer" games anymore.

From your perspective: You'll know what has actually been said to the group & how the group responds, first hand. (This is what's called called watching your back. Wink ) And also it also doesn't look (to the students & their parents) as though your supervisor has stepped in to intervene, over your head, in a situation that you've not handling well. It doesn't undermine your authority with the group, in other words.

This is not at all an unusual approach to such situations, in my experience.

0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 07:08 pm
@littlek,
So was the Spanish Inquisition. They didn't get to meet with their accusers, either.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 07:11 pm
@littlek,
Quote:
Basically she lets them rant

Neutral

Dunno about this approach , k.

Personally, I think the students "creative" ranting - to their parents - is the cause of the problem you're dealing with now. And you haven't even been giving the opportunity to give your side of the story to the manager, either!

So far they have not been held accountable for what they've said. (Which by the sounds of it, was not exactly an accurate description of what had actually occurred?)

If they're going to rant some more, it'd be much fairer (to you) if you were actually there to hear it. They might be a damn sight more honest in their rantings, too, if you were there! Wink

I'm having my doubts about this supervisor. Not the smartest, say nothing of the fairest approach to such a situation. By a long shot! Personally I think she's more concerned about covering her own back than anything else.

0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 07:31 pm
The point that the kids already had their rant was brought up by my, for lack of a better word, mentor. We had her on the my being present page for a bit. She decided against it at the end though.

I'll hash this out with my mentor tomorrow morning.

I don't want to get into too many details online.
msolga

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 07:36 pm
@littlek,
Quote:
I don't want to get into too many details online.

Of course not, k. Understood.

But considerably more transparency would be much fairer to you, that's my thinking.

Good luck!

(And if you'd think it could be remotely helpful in any, please feel free to email me, OK?)
littlek

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 07:37 pm
@msolga,
MsO, thanks. It's sad that perhaps the best help I have is on the other side of the earth! But, at least you're there.
msolga

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 07:42 pm
@littlek,
Teachers across the planet find themselves in these pickles, k. The pickles are maddeningly similar, I've discovered. Wink

(And I meant it about emailing me. Any time at all, ok? Smile )
littlek

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 07:48 pm
@msolga,
Thanks.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 07:49 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Quote:
Teaching is horrible.

Could you expand on this comment of your, please, Thomas?

In depth! Wink

Not really. I think littlek already has all the discouragement she needs at the moment. For now, I'll just ditto what Edgar said.
msolga

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 07:50 pm
@Thomas,
Fair enough, Thomas.

That was a tongue in cheek request, by the way. Smile
Thomas

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 07:52 pm
@msolga,
I know. I just couldn't come up with a tongue-in-cheek answer for some reason.
msolga

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 07:52 pm
@Thomas,
Not to worry.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 10:07 pm
I am very sorry you are in this position k.

I do hope Msolga is able to use her wisdom to support you.
0 Replies