I'm gonna be an teeture

George

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 08:14 am
My daughter is working on her doctorate in biochemistry.
Today she presents her Disseration Reseach Proposal.
Why mention this on littlek's thread? (Other than fatherly bragging)
Because her primary inspiration to become a scientist was a wonderful
woman who taught middle school science.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 10:46 am
George, did she send a note to that teacher? How sweet. How did the defense go?
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 01:12 pm
<APPLAUSE, STANDING OVATION>

Great job, k!
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 01:39 pm
littlek wrote:
George, did she send a note to that teacher? How sweet. How did the defense go?

The daughter has been back to visit "Miss Frizz" several times.
Clive also had her and she was wonderful with him -- very patient, very
encouraging.

We haven't heard how the qualifying test went yet.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 05:26 pm
I bet Miss Frizz is very proud.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 10:12 pm
I wonder, often, what is my problem with detailed paperwork. I am infamously bad (in my family) at understanding bank paperwork (see my online banking thread). I am terrible with this practicum paper work. I see a list of things to do and I freeze up and everything becomes insurmountable and I procrastinate. Is this some sort of learning disability? Is it within normal human nature? I can happily work for 30 minutes untangling a knot in string, but ask me to untangle a knot of paper work and I panic, turning to stone.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 10:27 pm
When you discover the way to fix this problem, k, let me know the secret. I'll be very grateful. :wink:

I have had this problem all my life. I have been trying, for some time, to figure out whether the cause is nature or nurture.

I figure it's mostly nature.
OK, I'm sloppy about these things.
But it's also because these things are so damn BORING!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 10:28 pm
Phew! Not just me! Other people seem to be wondering what my problem is. Doesn't help that the Uni is a bit...... disorganized themselves.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 10:30 pm
poooh, good night all.............
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 10:35 pm
littlek wrote:
I wonder, often, what is my problem with detailed paperwork. I am infamously bad (in my family) at understanding bank paperwork (see my online banking thread). I am terrible with this practicum paper work. I see a list of things to do and I freeze up and everything becomes insurmountable and I procrastinate. Is this some sort of learning disability? Is it within normal human nature? I can happily work for 30 minutes untangling a knot in string, but ask me to untangle a knot of paper work and I panic, turning to stone.

Waiting to hear comments re Little k, hoping to learn without having to reveal my similar panicked phobic response to paperwork.....
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 10:45 pm
There you go, k!

The very best people are challenged by the demands of paperwork requirements! Very Happy

Personally, I like who I am! Though it freaks me out from time to time when I have to be methodical about these things.

But it can be done!

Don't be too hard on yourself.
You can do it!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 04:25 am
Congratulations on the great grade, k!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 08:44 am
Another phobic to paperwork person here.
Hmmm. I'm capable of superb organization skills, once I get going. It may a matter of a war between my selves, in that my naturally organized ways, ever more hidden, put off my lackadaisacal 'smell the roses' ways, my 'watch the world buzz around' self. My lackadaisacal self - and lackadaisacal is the wrong word, more something like 'let things be' - resents having to stop and engage in paper upkeep.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2007 10:05 pm
The key is to just get started. It's like I tell the kids at school, just write the first word of the sentence, then the next........ don't try to hold the whole sentence in your head the whole time. This is for 1st graders just getting into sentences longer than 4 or 5 words.

Just start the paper work. This time it didn't matter so much where I started it, I just had to start it. I've gotten almost all of it done. I should get another advisory letter from the kindergarten teacher (as well as the principal), but it's not that important. I need to get paperwork to the Uni office, but it's filled out. I also need to fill out a sheet at the superintendent's office in the district (this week). I need to email some people with some info.........

I got my test score for the second licensure test which I did not pass last time - I passed this time! One more test!

Sooooo tired.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 07:01 am
littlek wrote:
I passed this time! One more test!

Sooooo tired.

Yay! Well done, k!

You're getting there! Very Happy

So do you get a bit of your weekend off to relax? Sounds like a good idea to me!
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 07:47 am
Way to go, girl. Keep it up. You're almost to the finish line!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 08:14 am
Can see the finish line!!

Re the paperwork -- I've found for a task like that, if I keep putting it off, I start it in the middle. I know that seems odd, it's just, kinda, instead of filling in the top cel or answering the first question, I'll go to the 14th or so and jump around. I know it takes longer but at least it gets done.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 16 Jun, 2007 08:40 am
I do that sometimes, Jes. All the paper work I had to do this time involved getting other people to write as well (teachers, principal, etc) and meeting with advisors. I have get used to working WITH other people.

I have several young adult novels to read and a 2.5 chapters of text. But, I may be heading out on a 36 foot sailboat for part of sunday. That would be relaxing! And, I am going to do some gardening today.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 06:07 pm
Wow, littlek! I'm late to the party here, but you've done a fantastic job! Hope you enjoyed the sailing. You deserved a break!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 09:20 pm
Didn't sail. I've been visiting with my little sister and new nephew who are here from the west coast for a couple weeks. And I have been reading. And filling out paperwork. Now I need to close another credit card account and apply for the state health insurance and read 2 more textbook chapters and three more juvenile fiction books by friday. Pttthththt.
0 Replies