I'm gonna be an teeture

littlek

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2006 07:37 pm
What the hell are corn grats? Is that like grits?
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2006 08:33 pm
littlek, I was reading your thread, so I googled "substitute teaching, Massachusetts, salary?" and I found a couple links. I hope they help you out. Maybe you can get a little more info from them, and get an idea of what the pay, etc. will be like:

http://boston.k12.ma.us/jobs/subbing.asp
http://teachers.net/archive/sub102102.html

Good luck with the job!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2006 09:19 pm
Stray Cat - thank you very much!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2006 10:01 pm
I know, I know - my thoughts about possible benefits for littlek were really just wishful thinking. I know better.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2006 10:14 pm
Really, it is all ok! It is a temp job until December 11. Maybe it will lead to something else. Maybe it won't. Still, regardless, I NEED IT! My resume is pathetic. My experience is minimal and I have to balance my coursework with hands on experience.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 09:59 am
Good thinking and good finds, Stray Cat!
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 05:28 pm
Thanks, sozobe! I hope that helped you out, littlek!

Btw, I remember reading a really good book several years ago, called, "Among Schoolchildren." Have you heard of it?

It was written by a journalist who spent a year in a Boston public school observing one particular teacher and her class. Then he wrote the book about them.

It was very interesting and well written. The thing is, I'm pretty sure it was originally published in the late 1980's or early 90's -- so some things may have changed since then. Of course, a lot things are probably still the same!

If you haven't read it, I'd highly recommend it. Check it out!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 09:52 pm
Thanks for that too!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 09:15 pm
I do know, so far, that I will indeed be paid....... More tomorrow.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 15 Sep, 2006 09:14 pm
70 bucks a day. Ouch.

What a week! The first week was exhausting with no special cases and half days AND a three day week. This week was looooooooooooooooong. Full days, 2 special cases (brothers), library duty which has me running and reading all day. My feet hurt and I can barely stay awake. No subbing yet, but $70/day!!!??? C'mon!

I do like it though. So far. I have messed up here and there, but not royally. I think I handle the younger brother quite well, but the older one is more, er, set in his challenging ways.

So, three days a week I work from 8:15 to 3:00 at the school and then grab my niece and head to her house to let dogs out. Then I receive my nephew (since they both get out at the same time, one parent goes to get the younger and brings him home) and stay with them until 6:30, or so. I'm away from home from 7:30 to 7:00.

I have no idea how I'll make it through my weekend course next weekend. I have requested an early release on those fridays, but only for an extra 1/2 hour. I dunno if that even leaves me enough time to get to the class.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 06:59 am
That sounds crazily low for anything related to a teaching duty.

That's less per hour than lunch aides get here Confused
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 07:45 am
It's ridicurous. But, as I said before I do need to experience...... I could make more than 70 bucks in 4 hours of landscaping and it's easier for me to landscape.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 07:47 am
So it's sort of paid volunteer work to get the experience.

Not fair for all the good experience they're getting by having hired you.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 07:52 am
Have you checked out the pay scale for your qualifications, k?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 08:00 am
early on this thread (or another), someone plopped down some info on substitute teacher pay in massachusetts. The lowest pay (for a one-day sub) was just over $100). The old long-standing system for subbing ran on a list of names at the superintendant's office - when a teacher called in sick, they'd start calling down the list of names at 6:30 in the same morning. This new way (a couple years old) involves hiring extra employees (me and several others). We are gauranteed 3 days a week, but could pick up extra subbing days if we wanted to. So, I think they are offering a lower rate for us for two reasons. One is that we have gauranteed work unlike the old sub positions and two, we are most often working as an extra pair of hands in the classroom and not as a all-out sub. Still, 70 bucks seems paltry. Especially since much of my time is being spent as a one-on-one for a challenging student.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 08:08 am
They better give you a damn good reference.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 08:11 am
Doesn't sound right to me, k.
They've made their job easier by ensuring they have the necessary extra staff (& not having the hassle each day at 6:30) while you take a pay cut for doing the work you'd do anyway.
But then, what would I know? Different country where the pay rate for emergency teachers is fixed & uniformly applied.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 08:12 am
what's that rate, MsOlga?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 08:13 am
When I first retired, I moved to Ariz and secured employment as a sub teacher where I was payed $114 per day, as I had zero debt and limited costs of living this worked fine for me working on average 3 days per week. The only problem I had with this arrangement was the total lack of benefits.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 08:17 am
Ah yes, there's that - no benefis.

And, now I know why the principal looked so apologetic and why when she said it was a postion only though mid-december she said it reassuringly.
0 Replies