I'm gonna be an teeture

msolga

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 08:20 am
Not sure these days, k. I haven't done it for a while. Let's see, I think it was something b/n $170 -$200? Oz dollars, of course. Not sure, I'm sorry. But the hours & expectations were pretty clear. As an emergency teacher you worked a certain number of hours (like 5 out of 6 periods & a lunchtime yard duty) & you were not expected to do any preparation, correction or reporting. Working a set number of days for a term or so (like you're doing) would be contract work. (Which means that you get paid for public holidays, are entitled to a certain number of sick days & do more of the "normal" duties an ongoing teacher would perform, like lesson preparation, correction, etc.)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 08:34 am
Well, let's hope that the Principal wasn't leading me on when she told me this job would lead to better things!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 08:49 am
I hope so, too.
How long are you committed to work at that school again?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 09:20 am
What changes in mid-December? Or is that just about the holidays?
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 11:59 am
littlek wrote:
Well, let's hope that the Principal wasn't leading me on when she told me this job would lead to better things!

Hang in there, K. If nothing else, you'll get a chance to find out if teaching is really for you. Full time positions are hard to come by. It helps to have someone like your principal who can let you know when there might be someone leaving or retiring. Does the school district post open positions on an intranet site?
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 12:50 pm
littlek, I'm sorry you're not getting better pay, but everyone's got to start somewhere. The experience you're getting will be invaluable.

Quote:
I do like it though. So far. I have messed up here and there, but not royally.

Well, you're just learning. Don't expect perfection from yourself. The more you do this, the more you will learn how to handle every situation that comes up.

From what I read on the substitute teaching sites, there is a real need in Massachusetts for good substitutes (probably true everywhere!). So I'm sure they appreciate your help.

If this job only lasts until December, you won't have to keep up this tiring schedule for very long. December's not far away! :wink:
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2006 08:13 pm
The position ends when another staff member returns from maternity leave.

No question: I wanted this position. The pay sucks, but it'll all be ok.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 08:29 pm
Current course is cool! It's a course on multiculturalism. The teacher is in her 30s, very energetic, very cool, very smart and a great facilitator. She is such a huge contrast to our last teacher! We are all more into it, more energetic and happier this round not to mention less confused.

Very deep stuff......
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 09:26 pm
glad to hear that. multiculturalism is always fun to teach and learn. i hope you get to play a lot of games. i wrote one for my trainings, i'll show ya.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 07:19 pm
Show me!

I have a short paper to write this weekend and a powerpoint presentation (which is the precursor to a second short paper) on behavioral disorders as they pertain to Multic. Ed. Those are both due on the second class meeting which is three weekends from now. The second short paper will expand on that PP presentation and I'll have to add 10 lesson plans on the subject as well. Should help in my dealings at work.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 05:38 am
littlek wrote:
Show me!

Yeah, go on, dag, show k your paper!
It might make the next week a lot less taxing!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 07:08 am
oh, you're in luck. i have three books full of multicultural games and exercises, and detailed notes from two trainings we just did. plenty of playing material. plus i know the bells and whistles of powerpoint, so it can be one smashing presentation!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 10:16 am
emailed you the BaFa BaFa adaptation by yours truly. I wish you had time to play it in class. Takes 2 hours, but it's soooo worth it, if I may say so myself..
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 06:26 pm
Ah, aren't good friends wonderful? Very Happy

How's it going, k? Getting through the stuff that needs doing & staying afloat, still?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 09:39 pm
I had my class all weekend last weekend. I need to write the paper this weekend and the powerpoint presentation the following weekend. The weekend after is part two of the class. It's a shorter than usual interval this time.

I will be trying to get stuff done during the week, but it is hard to do - I work over 50 hours per week.

Dasha is being very helpful with passing on activities which I can tailor and work into the lesson plans.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 04:36 am
Good luck with it, k!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 09:11 pm
I got my first official work email address ever. It's only good until mid-december unless I get another job there.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 08:16 am
Who knew I'd love to be "Ms. B...." so much!?!? Almost all of the k-2 kids know me and say hello to me in the hallways. I love it! Now, to learn all of their names (that's like 300 kids)
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 08:32 am
littlek wrote:
Who knew I'd love to be "Ms. B...." so much!?!? Almost all of the k-2 kids know me and say hello to me in the hallways. I love it! Now, to learn all of their names (that's like 300 kids)

You'll surprise yourself at how quickly those names sink into your head. The down side is that they will stay stuck there for many years to come...well only the memorable students. Then again, aren't they all memorable in some way?

And prepare for the firsts: First time a student has a name you cannot figure a pronunciation for, first time a student has your first name (it took 18 years), a student with your last name (it took 3 years), a student who is a neighbor and has always addressed you by your first name (happened in year 1), the first time a student gets every test answer wrong, the first time a student cheats and gets every answer right and wrong...for a multiple choice test, when there were 2 classes for the same subject matter and hence the same test questions, I would start the exam at a different question for each of the classes.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 08:35 am
Already, there was one girl who kept calling me by my first name. It took weeks to get here to stop.

And this is weird, one boy looks exactly like a guy I dated last year. A second grader! Same hair (dark, short - almost stubble), same blue eyes and dark lashes, same mouth. Even the same clothing style. Very very weird.
0 Replies