littlek

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 02:30 pm
ThanQ!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 02:33 pm
Holy crap! You're a teeture!!!

Huge congratulations!!

When do you find out the pay situation? Have you officially accepted yet?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 02:35 pm
I haven't signed anything yet - not until tuesday. The principalis running around like crazy trying to get set for the start of the year. Maybe I'll call monday? How do I ask? Should I wait until I'm at the super's office signing papers to ask them?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 02:39 pm
I think the idea was to ask when you were there... maybe you can call at some point and say, "I was looking over the [job announcement, packet you got at the interview, whatever info you have] and realized that I don't see the pay scale listed anywhere." That should be enough to jog it out of 'em, but if not, maybe add something like, "I'm definitely interested in the job, but of course it's difficult for me to commit until I know what the salary is..."

I think you'd want to do it before the paper signing stage.

Monday is Labor Day (probably everything is closed) -- quarter to five now, possible they're still open...?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 02:42 pm
No info, no packet, no mention of pay. Also, no words like 'volunteer' or 'community service'. I'll take it unless it pays minimum wage. I need it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 02:44 pm
Eek. That's a little weird. I understand about the rushing around thing though, hopefully things will calm down considerably once the school year actually starts.

It makes me wince to think of you asking, pen poised over the papers that make it official, "So, uh, what's the pay?", but this stuff is probably more written in stone than is usual -- probably less room to negotiate, anyway.

Hope the pay is high and you get a pleasant surprise!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 02:45 pm
How did you find out about the job?

Did you see any job announcement at all?

If it was a word-of-mouth thing or something, maybe you can try to search for the announcement, which should have more info (and which should exist).
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 02:46 pm
Good Luck on the new job! That's great! I like the way they do the sub thing. You'll get to know the kids better this way.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 02:49 pm
Congrats on the job!

Too bad I didn't see that you were asking for interview tips. I usually find that going into the interview holding a teddy bear in your lap the whole times helps.

Looks like you didn't need Teddy Ruxpin though. This time.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 07:35 pm
How exciting lilk! This is great news!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 08:02 pm
WoW!!!!!

You been and gone and done it!!!!!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 08:54 pm
corngrats. last week you couldn't spell teacher, now you am one. only in america. I wish you the success you deserve.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 09:33 pm
Thanks all....

Soz, no advert to check for pay scale, I already checked. I *heard* about this job from the principal herself. Hmm.....
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 10:16 pm
I read back a bit ...

You have to start somewhere. Whatever the pay scale, it's good experience to add to your resume. If the pay's not great, you can move on in a while with that under your belt.

Congratulations!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2006 03:01 am
That's wonderful, k! Congratulations!
I never doubted for a minute that you'd get it. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

But you should check out the correct pay & conditions (which you seem to know quite a bit already) before you sign on the dotted line. They wouldn't consider this rude, they'd think you were being sensible! They should have told you in the interview, or it should have been stated in the job advertisement. Perhaps you should check out the appropriate teachers union, or professional association (sorry, wrong country!) to find out what the appropriate entitlements are for the job you're about to do. I assume if it's a public school you'll be paid the going rate for your qualifications & level of experience. This may sound like a drag but it's certainly worth getting things right at the start. Rather than discovering down the track that mistakes have been made & need to be fixed up. This can be messy. (I see this all to often. <sigh>)

So Ms k, when do you start? The actual date?

I'm so pleased for you! Well done!Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2006 10:58 am
I start on the wednesday, the 6th. The first week is a partial week and all classes are let out at midday - early. Labor Day is monday (a national holiday), so everything will be closed. On tuesday I go to the superintendent's offices to sign papers. I could call the office in the morning before I go or I could ask as I sit facing the papers.

Like McKenzie said, even if it doesn't pay well, It is a good move for me.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2006 11:10 am
k, you should probably also inquire about other benefit issues if they haven't been discussed: paid vacation, paid sick days, insurance coverage etc.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2006 12:38 pm
I don't think that part time teachers will receive benefits like paid vacation
or sick pay, mac11.

littlek, I doubt that it will be a well paying job, but you'll gain experience
and either can advance to a fulltime position in 6 to 12 months or change to a more lucrative position someplace else.

Good luck and I am looking forward to your first day in school report Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2006 07:25 pm
Mac - I think Jane's right. I won't get benefits because I will be part time. I will get school holidays, I assume.

I'll know more after tuesday's signing! (I hope)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2006 07:35 pm
way to go!

i think you're first act as teeture should be correcting edgar's post and giving him a grade --
edgarblythe wrote:
corngrats. last week you couldn't spell teacher, now you am one. only in america. I wish you the success you deserve.
0 Replies