I'm gonna be an teeture

littlek

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2006 10:38 pm
several decades of hiring practices would say it was of no value....... bastids. Ok, I'll get my head out of my a$$ now.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 05:19 am
littlek wrote:
I have been surfing nanny websites

what a coincidence, me too!!

Embarrassed
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 8 Aug, 2006 09:09 pm
HAHAHA!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 08:17 pm
Ok, that weekend is over. No one felt like they could write an honest review of the teacher because she may be our practicum advisor and seminar leader. Sigh. She even tried to manipulate us into making positive reviews. My jaw is tense, I think I was grinding my teeth last night. I have to finish up some work for her class and will be done this week (if I follow her schedule). Then I have about 4 weeks until the next class - nice. Now I just have to write a resume and find a part time job and a housemate for september.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 04:55 pm
What happened to Dag?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 05:45 pm
a THIRD housemate for september - we live in a 3-bedroom.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 07:21 am
Admit it... Kicky's in your basement.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 08:16 am
DrewDad wrote:
Admit it... Kicky's in your basement.

Is that what that noise was?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 11:17 pm
So, now I have to do an interview. That is if they'll still have me - they called tuesday for an interview on wednesday and I was on the cape dealing with my dog.

I have never had a really formal interview like this..... I am at sea. Any tips would be helpful.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 11:24 pm
The classic advice, be yourself. You are, as we all know, really great. Just get with that, at least in sense of calm. But don't obliterate yourself.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 11:28 pm
Osso, I can't obliterate my SELF no matter how much I sometimes want to.

For interview clothing..... (in response to MsOlga from another thread)

I have brown cotton slacks, green sweater, brown boots (sweater may be a bit hot for the event/season)

I have long brown linen skirt, same sweater, brown mules (closed toe, open heel shoes).

Something like the above ok?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 11:39 pm
Interview tips:

Yes, be yourself, k. You really wanted to go into this field & now is your first opportunity! Hooray!

Listen very carefully to what they are asking you in the interview. If you're not clear, say something like "I'm not quite sure about that question,. Could you re-word it, please?"

Speak to all the folk on the interviewing panel. As if you are having a group conversation.

If they ask something that is very difficult to answer (not likely) say something like "That's quite a difficult question. I need some time to think that through, fully. But off the top of my head, I think ........"

They want to know that you are capable (yes!), enthusiastic (yes!), hardworking (yes!) & that you are going to fit into their school.(yes!) Hey, they'll be lucky to get you! Very Happy

If they ask about you being an "older" :wink: graduate, use it to your advantage! You have thought long & hard about this & this is really what you want to do! You are suited to teaching! Your life experience is an advantage! Put a positive angle on the work you've done till now.: It has been extremely rewarding & has lead you to teaching because you've enjoyed it so much & are good at it.

More later, if I think of anything else. Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 11:44 pm
littlek wrote:
Osso, I can't obliterate my SELF no matter how much I sometimes want to.

For interview clothing..... (in response to MsOlga from another thread)

I have brown cotton slacks, green sweater, brown boots (sweater may be a bit hot for the event/season)

I have long brown linen skirt, same sweater, brown mules (closed toe, open heel shoes).

Something like the above ok?

Yes, k, tidy & clean & alert looking! Laughing
(& a wee bit on the conservative side! Unless they're some wild alternative school! Laughing)
Given the weather, perhaps the long linen shirt. Got a white shirt/blouse? :wink:
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 11:58 pm
.... & remember, k, the other applicants will be rather nervous, too. It isn't just you & the panel will take that into consideration. You tend to settle down a bit after the first response, anyway. Take a deep breath. You can do this! Very Happy

Oh, & take a pen & some paper (clip board) with you. I don't know how they do these things in the US, but in Oz they give you a list of questions (that they give to everyone) & you're given 10 or so minutes to read & jot down your responses. A good idea to do this in point form & refer to it in the interview.

The most important thing to remember is that the other applicants are likely to be just as nervous as you. Just persist, keep going, refer to your notes.

And keep in mind that you've received very good results from your course lecturers! This counts! They'll know you're intelligent & hard working already.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 12:09 am
Oh! Very good tips! Thanks MsO!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 12:12 am
from the other thread, so I have it all here....

msolga wrote:
Ring them & explain you were away with your family for "pressing personal reasons" (give no details) & just got their message, but yes, you are definitely interested in talking to them......
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 12:14 am
I have to try to sleep now, I have a physical (annual medical) appointment in the morning.... I'll call the school on the walk over. (note to self - bring pen and paper).
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 12:16 am
A pleasure.

Just yell if you need any further morale boosting, advice, whatever ....

A thought: When you ring the school (first thing tomorrow -around starting time) instead of saying it was a "personal" commitment (as I suggested earlier) that's held up you contacting them, say it was a "family" commitment (no details) & that you were away till now, but have rung back at the first opportunity.

Good luck, k! Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 02:03 pm
I got the job! Here's the deal: I work 3 days per week as a permanent, part time substitute. So, Instead of the old method where a school called a sub in at 6 am when a teacher was sick, this way the sub is there anyway. If a teacher is sick, the sub takes over, if no teacher is sick, the sub does other things (various aiding in various classrooms). It's second part that is perfect for me and I hope the teacher's at this school are healthy! I didn't ask about pay. I assume I will get paid. If not I'm screwed.

I went with the brown slacks, green silk button down and brown boots (small nickle earings).
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 02:29 pm
Of course you did! Congratulations, littlek!
0 Replies