President Monument??

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 03:13 pm
Anyone know what monument this is??? My friend spraypainted it and I cant figure it out.. Sad

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/5941/president9eq.png
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,408 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 03:17 pm
Don't you mean, he paint shopped it? Why don't you just ask him?
0 Replies

Tasuki504

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 03:19 pm
He challenged me to figure out what it is using whatever I wanted to use.. -.- It's a bet...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 03:21 pm
Tasuki504 wrote:
He challenged me to figure out what it is using whatever I wanted to use.. -.- It's a bet...

ahhhhhhh, that makes more sense.

I don't know.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 04:23 pm
Where is the monument? What else can you tell us about it? Are there any other photographs available? It appears to be something from the 19th, or early 20th century, but looks can be deceiving.
0 Replies

Tasuki504

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 04:43 pm
It's in America, I'm pretty sure...It's a monument made to honor a president, so he says.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 05:27 pm
It's pretty modest, so it's either a minor monument for a major president (where he was born, or something) or for a minor president.

It seems to be in some dramatic natural setting, looks like mountains behind it.

That made me think of Teddy Roosevelt, but Googling hasn't come up with anything.

(Which is to say, I have no idea, but maybe my musings will help someone else figure it out...)
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 05:38 pm
Yes, somewhere in the United States ... but where in the United States? If it is in Tennessee, we would suspect Johnson as the President memorialized. The more information we have to work from the more probable we can find an answer for you. This monument is certainly modest. Given its apparent age, we can probably discard all Presidents since FDR. The landscape in the photo suggests someplace east of the Mississippi. If the President was prior to, say Polk, the monument would have been erected much later and so we can't draw any good conclusions from that. The style, as I said before, looks to be something between say 1850 and 1929.

Fillmore from N.Y. (1850)
Pierce from New Hamshire
Buchanan from Pennsylvania
Lincoln from Illinois
Johnson from Tennessee
Grant from Illinois
Hays from Ohio
Garfield from Ohio
Arthur from N.Y.
Cleveland from N.Y.
Ben Harrison from Ohio
McKinley from Ohio
T. Roosevelt from N.Y.
Taft from Ohio
Wilson from New Jersey
Harding from Ohio
Coolidge from Massachusetts, but strongly associated with Vermont

6 Presidents from Ohio
4 Presidents from N.Y. (5 if you include FDR)
2 from Illinois
and 1 each from Mass, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, and Tennessee ......... 17 possibles given my initial assumtions. We need more information to further pare down the possibles.
0 Replies

Tasuki504

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 08:09 pm
He's not home right now for me to find out, but to be more exact. He only blotted a black little strip on what I assume was a plate with the president's name. Is it possible to figure it out off of this photograph alone?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 08:24 pm
It's the monument for President Garfield.

http://www.museumtrail.org/GarfieldMonument.asp
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 08:29 pm
Coooooool!!!

How'd you find it?

Some sort of photo matching thing, or did you figure it out?
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 08:29 pm
Well, I've captured the photo and enhanced the dickins out of it with out much success.

There are ten lines of text on the plaque, but I was unable to read any of it. There might have been an eleventh line that was marked out. The monument appears to be beside a paved road on a mountainside. The mountainside looks to have a pretty steep gradeThe rock formations appear to be granit. Most of the trees appear to be evergreens, probably pine. I suspect the photo was taken around mid-day, or on a day with a lot of cloud cover. Bottom-line here, there isn't much to go on.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 08:30 pm
Not likely unless someone just happens to recognise it, or stumble across the photograph. If your friend found the pic on the net, there is a chance of that, but if he took it himself...I kind of doubt it.

Best guess would probably be Teddy R, because of the remoteness...but it could be anybody.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 08:30 pm
Guys, guys, look at the bottom of last page -- fishin' found it!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 08:32 pm
I could lie and say that I had been there but... Google Image search is your friend! Wink It came up as hit #10 of about 2,500 on "President Monument". (I LOVE Google! Razz)
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 08:32 pm
Yes. It was posted while I was typing.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 08:36 pm
Asherman wrote:
Well, I've captured the photo and enhanced the dickins out of it with out much success.

There are ten lines of text on the plaque, but I was unable to read any of it. There might have been an eleventh line that was marked out. The monument appears to be beside a paved road on a mountainside. The mountainside looks to have a pretty steep gradeThe rock formations appear to be granit. Most of the trees appear to be evergreens, probably pine. I suspect the photo was taken around mid-day, or on a day with a lot of cloud cover. Bottom-line here, there isn't much to go on.

Heh, you started out pretty much the same way I did.

At first I looked at it and noticed that the base is cement. That would indicate that it was put in after the Civil War and the cement is pretty well chipped up so I figured it had to be at least 60 years old.

If the Google Image search hadn't come up with it right off I'd have searched each president's monument after Lincoln and found it that way eventually.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 08:37 pm
I tried google, never saw anything even close....good job.
0 Replies

Tasuki504

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 08:40 pm
Awesome!! You guys rock!! I tried google too with no success o.0 Ten bucks ^_^ I'll definitely come back if I need more help <.<
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 08:56 pm
Fishn' should get half
0 Replies