I'm no fan of Cindy Sheehan but

Debra Law

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 03:00 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Why isnt anyone on the left complaining anout that republican congressmans wife that was removed for wearing a t-shirt that supported the troops?

I smell hypocrisy on the left here.

Was she arrested for "unlawful conduct" too? Was she roughed up, handcuffed, booked, fingerprinted, moved to two jails, and incarcerated for hours, and charged with an offense that could land her in prison for a year?

What exactly happened to the congressman's wife?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 03:05 pm
Maybe the Capitol Police knew Sheehan had a record.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 03:22 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Maybe the Capitol Police knew Sheehan had a record.

which of course made it okay to rough her up. I'm sure that a few of the posters on this thread would have taken a lick on her too if they'd been there and allowed.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 03:47 pm
MM
Quote:
I do wonder why you would exempt the President from fighting in a war he believes in.

I'm not trying to argue,I am truly curious.

I believe the president must participate in the war he believes in/is prosecuting, but there is a definate rule that 'good generals don't lead from the front line.' The president is not morally excepted from the need to participate, but is situationally excepted by our military's much greater need for a CIC who is alive over another grunt.

Contrast that to your average chickenhawk; they support the war, call others who don't support the war weak and/or traitors, and sit around polishing their guns and thinking about how tough they are; but ask them to sign up to fight, and the excuses come pouring out.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 04:18 pm
You are certainly entitled to your opinion about that Cyc, and Bi-polar Bear and I have argued that a long time ago.

Let me ask you about something though. Are handicapped people allowed to be pro-war? How about open homosexuals? Women who are not commonly found in the front lines? Where do you draw your line in the sand?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 04:21 pm
McGentrix wrote:
She wore the shirt to be derisive. No other reason. There is a time and place for protest and de SNIP

of course that's merely MY opinion...

Ain't that the truth!
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 04:28 pm
cjhsa wrote:
You can continue to stick your head in the sand ...

Ooooh, the IRONY!
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 04:32 pm
cjhsa wrote:
I did my time in other ways.

Is that why you fled CA? Smile
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 05:06 pm
Different Messages; Different Treatment

The message on Cindy Sheehan's t-shirt:

2245 Dead. How many more?

The message on Beverly Young's t-shirt:

Support the Troops — Defending Our Freedom.

Cindy Sheehan was arrested and roughly removed from the visitor's gallery immediately after she sat down--long before Bush's arrival at the Capitol. Sheehan was taken away in handcuffs and charged with a misdemeanor for violating the District of Columbia’s code against unlawful or disruptive conduct on any part of the Capitol grounds.

Beverly Young was allowed remain in the visitor's gallery long after Bush's arrival. Young was not asked to leave until forty (40) minutes after Bush began his speech. Did Mrs. Young leave politely? Not at all. She boisterously objected:

Quote:
“They said I was protesting,” Young told the St. Petersburg Times. “I said, ‘Read my shirt, it is not a protest.’ They said, ‘We consider that a protest.’ I said, ‘Then you are an idiot.”’

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11120353/

Despite her boisterous objection, Beverly Young was NOT arrested for disruptive conduct. She was NOT taken away in handcuffs.

Why did the officers immediately remove from the gallery and arrest Sheehan long before Bush arrived, but allow Young to remain in the gallery for 40 minutes after Bush's speech began?

Obviously, Sheehan was ousted and arrested on the basis of the MESSAGE on her t-shirt. A criminal statute that penalizes speech must be CONTENT NEUTRAL on its face and application. A reasonable inference can be drawn from the circumstances that the officers realized, much belatedly, that if they ousted and arrested Sheehan--but allowed Young to remain--their arrest of Sheehan would not be viewed as the enforcement of a content neutral statute--but rather, the arrest would be viewed as the unconstitutional suppression of Sheehan's message.

It appears that the officers subsequently, and belatedly, asked Mrs. Young to leave in order to appear as though they were engaged in content-neutral enforcement of a statute and to cover their message-suppressing asses. But, the fact that Sheehan was arrested and taken away in handcuffs while Mrs. Young was simply allowed to leave despite her boisterous objection amply demonstrates differential treatment of individuals based on the content of their speech.

Perhaps now is a good time to review the United States Supreme Court case, Cohen v. California, 403 U.S. 15 (1971):

Quote:
Appellant (Paul Robert Cohen) was convicted of violating that part of Cal. Penal Code 415 which prohibits "maliciously and willfully disturb[ing] the peace or quiet of any neighborhood or person . . . by . . . offensive conduct," for wearing a jacket bearing the words "**** the Draft" in a corridor of the Los Angeles Courthouse. The Court of Appeal held that "offensive conduct" means "behavior which has a tendency to provoke others to acts of violence or to in turn disturb the peace," and affirmed the conviction. Held: Absent a more particularized and compelling reason for its actions, the State may not, consistently with the First and Fourteenth Amendments, make the simple public display of this single four-letter expletive a criminal offense.

http://laws.findlaw.com/us/403/15.html

Similarly, absent a compelling reason, the District of Columbia may not criminalize the display of a political message on a t-shirt on any part of the Capitol grounds. The Capitol grounds of our government are the very heart of our constitutional republic and to criminalize the display of a political message in that setting is truly antithetical to our nation's very existence.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 05:29 pm
Quote:
You are certainly entitled to your opinion about that Cyc, and Bi-polar Bear and I have argued that a long time ago.

Let me ask you about something though. Are handicapped people allowed to be pro-war? How about open homosexuals? Women who are not commonly found in the front lines? Where do you draw your line in the sand?

In a theoretical/discussive world, the army accepts gays, women, and those handicapped who can prove themselves able into the regular forces and gives each and every one of those war supporters the opportunity to back up that tough talk.

In the real world, our Armed forces discriminate against such people, not allowing them the opportunity to back up their tough talk. This is hardly my fault, and does not dismiss the validity of my argument; that most chickenhawks are a bunch of tough talk and no action, more than willing to do such things as cheer for a war with Iran (they certainly did Iraq) in which people - not them - will be killed. Not them, though.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 07:45 pm
Let me introduce an aquaintance of mine. Hope you like her crossbow. She's quite accomplished with it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/catcando/000_0071.jpg
0 Replies