I'm no fan of Cindy Sheehan but

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 09:25 am
the following is her explanation of her arrest at the SOTU

Quote:
As most of you have probably heard, I was arrested before the State of the Union Address last night.

I am speechless with fury at what happened and with grief over what we have lost in our country.

There have been lies from the police and distortions by the press. (Shocker) So this is what really happened:

This afternoon at the People's State of the Union Address in DC where I was joined by Congresspersons Lynn Woolsey and John Conyers, Ann Wright, Malik Rahim and John Cavanagh, Lynn brought me a ticket to the State of the Union Address. At that time, I was wearing the shirt that said: 2245 Dead. How many more?

After the PSOTU press conference, I was having second thoughts about going to the SOTU at the Capitol. I didn't feel comfortable going. I knew George Bush would say things that would hurt me and anger me and I knew that I couldn't disrupt the address because Lynn had given me the ticket and I didn't want to be disruptive out of respect for her. I, in fact, had given the ticket to John Bruhns who is in Iraq Veterans Against the War. However, Lynn's office had already called the media and everyone knew I was going to be there so I sucked it up and went.

I got the ticket back from John, and I met one of Congresswoman Barbara Lee's staffers in the Longworth Congressional Office building and we went to the Capitol via the underground tunnel. I went through security once, then had to use the rest room and went through security again.

My ticket was in the 5th gallery, front row, fourth seat in. The person who in a few minutes was to arrest me, helped me to my seat.

I had just sat down and I was warm from climbing 3 flights of stairs back up from the bathroom so I unzipped my jacket. I turned to the right to take my left arm out, when the same officer saw my shirt and yelled; "Protester." He then ran over to me, hauled me out of my seat and roughly (with my hands behind my back) shoved me up the stairs. I said something like "I'm going, do you have to be so rough?" By the way, his name is Mike Weight.

The officer ran with me to the elevators yelling at everyone to move out of the way. When we got to the elevators, he cuffed me and took me outside to await a squad car. On the way out, someone behind me said, "That's Cindy Sheehan." At which point the officer who arrested me said: "Take these steps slowly." I said, "You didn't care about being careful when you were dragging me up the other steps." He said, "That's because you were protesting." Wow, I get hauled out of the People's House because I was, "Protesting."

I was never told that I couldn't wear that shirt into the Congress. I was never asked to take it off or zip my jacket back up. If I had been asked to do any of those things...I would have, and written about the suppression of my freedom of speech later. I was immediately, and roughly (I have the bruises and muscle spasms to prove it) hauled off and arrested for "unlawful conduct."

After I had my personal items inventoried and my fingers printed, a nice Sgt. came in and looked at my shirt and said, "2245, huh? I just got back from there."

I told him that my son died there. That's when the enormity of my loss hit me. I have lost my son. I have lost my First Amendment rights. I have lost the country that I love. Where did America go? I started crying in pain.

What did Casey die for? What did the 2244 other brave young Americans die for? What are tens of thousands of them over there in harm's way for still? For this? I can't even wear a shirt that has the number of troops on it that George Bush and his arrogant and ignorant policies are responsible for killing.

I wore the shirt to make a statement. The press knew I was going to be there and I thought every once in awhile they would show me and I would have the shirt on. I did not wear it to be disruptive, or I would have unzipped my jacket during George's speech. If I had any idea what happens to people who wear shirts that make the neocons uncomfortable that I would be arrested...maybe I would have, but I didn't.

There have already been many wild stories out there.

I have some lawyers looking into filing a First Amendment lawsuit against the government for what happened tonight. I will file it. It is time to take our freedoms and our country back.

I don't want to live in a country that prohibits any person, whether he/she has paid the ultimate price for that country, from wearing, saying, writing, or telephoning any negative statements about the government. That's why I am going to take my freedoms and liberties back. That's why I am not going to let Bushco take anything else away from me...or you.

I am so appreciative of the couple of hundred of protesters who came to the jail while I was locked up to show their support....we have so much potential for good...there is so much good in so many people.

Four hours and 2 jails after I was arrested, I was let out. Again, I am so upset and sore it is hard to think straight.

Keep up the struggle...I promise you I will too.

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/news_theswamp/2006/02/cindy_sheehan_t.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,416 • Replies: 90
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 09:29 am
The arrest was wrong, but she's still a media whore.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 09:40 am
I thought you admired media whores who use their radical political views at every opportunity to keep their name out there....don't you claim to be related to one? :wink:
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 09:48 am
There's a big difference between having the #1 show on VH1 and OLN and being a media whore. Unlike Nuge, who makes people want to go out and shoot their dinner, Sheehan makes people want to shoot their TV.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 09:56 am
cjhsa
Quote:
The arrest was wrong, but she's still a media whore.

If she is a media whore what would you call Bush. What was that saying about a squeaking wheel?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 09:58 am
I'd call him Mr. President.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 09:58 am
We're all media whores. How else do you explain the success of A2K?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 10:07 am
CAPITOL POLICE CAVE

When Cindy Sheehan was hustled out of the House gallery on Tuesday night, the Capitol Police sent a message: there will be no disrupting the president's speech. When they ejected a Republican congressman's wife for wearing a T-shirt supporting the troops, the same message was sent. This is not a political protest event. Everybody has to be respectful. No attention-getting cheerleading allowed. No signs in the gallery. Finally, somebody put their foot down on civility.

But that was Tuesday night. Unfortunately, the Capitol Police have now caved in. Yesterday afternoon, U.S. Capitol Police Chief Terrance Gainer said the ejections were a mistake. He says Cindy Sheehan and the congressman's wife should have been allowed to stay. "We made a mistake" he said. He says just wearing a T-shirt isn't against the rules. This was the absolute wrong thing to do.

Why so? Just wait 'til next year. Let's see how many people show up to sit in the gallery wearing T-shirts with great big political messages on them. Cameras will find their way to those people during the speech, and the attention will be taken away from the person doing the speaking. The other problem is that crazies like Cindy Sheehan have now been emboldened. George Bush has a couple more State of the Union addresses left. Thanks to the weak-kneed Terrance Gainer, she'll be back. Now the State of the Union Speech is going to become just another stage for political protesting.

Let's not leave this without addressing California leftist Congresswoman Lynn Woolsey. Woolsey gave Cindy Sheehan her ticket. The California Democrat said yesterday: "Since when is free speech conditional on whether you agree with the president?" Sorry...it isn't. But there's a difference between freedom of speech and freedom to disrupt. We have hear a member of congress who invited a woman who has stated that George Bush is ten times the terrorist that Osama bin Laden is to watch that president deliver his State of the Union Speech. Legal? Yes. Cheesy behavior? You bet.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 10:12 am
All who oppose the war owe a debt to Cindy, she painted Bush into a corner he still has not escaped from. I understand the latest Foxnews Poll has him at 39% approval.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 10:14 am
McGentrix wrote:
CAPITOL POLICE CAVE

When Cindy Sheehan was hustled out of the House gallery on Tuesday night, the Capitol Police sent a message: there will be no disrupting the president's speech. When they ejected a Republican congressman's wife for wearing a T-shirt supporting the troops, the same message was sent. This is not a political protest event. Everybody has to be respectful. No attention-getting cheerleading allowed. No signs in the gallery. Finally, somebody put their foot down on civility.

But that was Tuesday night. Unfortunately, the Capitol Police have now caved in. Yesterday afternoon, U.S. Capitol Police Chief Terrance Gainer said the ejections were a mistake. He says Cindy Sheehan and the congressman's wife should have been allowed to stay. "We made a mistake" he said. He says just wearing a T-shirt isn't against the rules. This was the absolute wrong thing to do.

Why so? Just wait 'til next year. Let's see how many people show up to sit in the gallery wearing T-shirts with great big political messages on them. Cameras will find their way to those people during the speech, and the attention will be taken away from the person doing the speaking. The other problem is that crazies like Cindy Sheehan have now been emboldened. George Bush has a couple more State of the Union addresses left. Thanks to the weak-kneed Terrance Gainer, she'll be back. Now the State of the Union Speech is going to become just another stage for political protesting.

Let's not leave this without addressing California leftist Congresswoman Lynn Woolsey. Woolsey gave Cindy Sheehan her ticket. The California Democrat said yesterday: "Since when is free speech conditional on whether you agree with the president?" Sorry...it isn't. But there's a difference between freedom of speech and freedom to disrupt. We have hear a member of congress who invited a woman who has stated that George Bush is ten times the terrorist that Osama bin Laden is to watch that president deliver his State of the Union Speech. Legal? Yes. Cheesy behavior? You bet.[/quote

the SOTU has turned into the same bullshit without cease and is meaningless under bushs' watch anyway so what difference does it make?
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 10:17 am
McGentrix wrote:

This, of course, from the sage Neil Boortz:

Neal Boortz, suggesting that a victim of Hurricane Katrina housed in an Atlanta hotel consider prostitution: "I dare say she could walk out of that hotel and walk 100 yards in either direction on Fulton Industrial Boulevard here in Atlanta and have a job. What's that? Well, no, no, no. ... Well, you know what? [laughing] Now that you mention it ... f that's the only way she can take care of herself, it sure beats the hell out of sucking off the taxpayers." [Cox Radio Syndication's The Neal Boortz Show, 10/24/05]
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 10:18 am
McG wrote

Quote:
Now the State of the Union Speech is going to become just another stage for political protesting

Instead I suppose political grandstanding and fabrication.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 10:21 am
My experience with the Katrina evacuees has been just that. They relocated to Houston and setup brothels in their hotel rooms.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 10:24 am
cjhsa wrote:
My experience with the Katrina evacuees has been just that. They relocated to Houston and setup brothels in their hotel rooms.

do you save your receipts?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 10:32 am
Why isnt anyone on the left complaining anout that republican congressmans wife that was removed for wearing a t-shirt that supported the troops?

I smell hypocrisy on the left here.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 10:34 am
she wasn't cuffed or arrested or roughly handled.

Apples to apples please.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 10:35 am
Well, they thought Sheehan was a man.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 10:36 am
Oh,so someone has to be arrested for it to count?

Or,since it was a republican that was removed,that is ok?
Tell me,wasnt her right to free speech also violated?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 10:37 am
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

Of course. Business travel. Wink
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 10:41 am
cjhsa wrote:
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

Of course. Business travel. Wink

take the business lunch deduction too. :wink:
0 Replies