Next Year's Roommate?

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 08:36 pm
Well, I didn't quite know where to post this, so here goes...

I am 20 and live in an apartment off campus at my university. School has been a stretch for my family's budget, but not impossible. The apartment I'm living in was also a stretch for my parent's budget, but I work part time in addition to school to help pay.

Problem is, I'm worried about where I will live next year. My apartment rent is going up next year, and now I definitely can't afford it. I can apply to live back on campus, but students who move off campus are given LAST priority to on campus housing (even after students who make faulty payments!). It's generally impossible to get back on campus after moving off. I applied to be a Resident Assistant on campus, didn't make it. I've applied to be a Community Assistant at my apartment complex, and that's not looking to promising either. The roommates I live w/ now didn't work out very well (very messy, very loud) and I'm not included in their plans for next year. SO, I'm beginning to stress out...WHERE AM I GOING TO LIVE?! My only option if I don't get the Community Assist. job is finding random roommates through personal ads and finding a cheaper apartment in my college town. That REALLY scares me...a random roommate sounds like it could be a disaster to me!

I'm very upset that I attached myself so much to my current roommates earlier on in college and moved off campus w/ them. I've isolated myself from the social scene on campus, and haven't met anyone new since then. I work at my university with nice girls, but haven't really "clicked" w/ anyone enough to hang out w/ them outside of work...and at this point, most ppl have settled into their group of friends, or sorority, or boyfriend.

SO, I feel a little lonely, and very stressed about housing. Input/Ideas? Thanks Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 756 • Replies: 6
No top replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 11:52 pm
2 thoughts come to mind. Your local newspaper probably has a "rooms for rent" section where instead of an apartment, you just get a room and kitchen/bathroom access. Often elderly people will rent a room to offset the ever-decreasing value of their "fixed income", frequently at a low rate or even free in exchange for helping them with upkeep. If you're not into the party scene, this is a very inexpensive solution.

2. Place your own ad in the paper or on bulletin boards stating that you are looking for a room, in order to give yourself the opportunity to interview your potential roommates (and vice versa). This will afford you the opportunity to select from a broader set of choices than you currently seem to have. Good Luck!
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 12:56 am
Those 'room for rent' aren't scary. Most people are accomodating and usually don't bother others. Cook a large pot like chili concarne or spaghetti and store in frig. Just heat a portion during eating time till it's time for another pot cooking. Room-mates are the worst.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 05:06 am
You could also pick up more work/higher paying job to afford the change in rent. Apt. prices usually don't go up very much - at least here they don't.

Basically, you could try one of Bill's suggestions in a new place or supplement your income to stay where you are.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 10:19 am
I don't know where you live, but there are often housing co-ops that are very cheap. That's what I did between dorms and being able to afford a decent apartment.

There is also craigslist -- still no guarantees, but often self-selects for a certain young, college-age or college-educated membership.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 10:59 am
My personal suggestion is to start asking around. Your friends, their friends, anyone they might know looking for a roommate. That would alleviate the whole "stranger in my house" thing.

You need to do some serious searching. There are good deals out there but you have to look and find them. People wanting to sublet, for example. Or in a tiny little place you might not love but are willing to deal with for a year or two.

I actually took out enough in my student loan for the year to cover my rent. It sucks now that I have to pay it back with interest but having no place to live was not an option. Think about that if you can't find any other solution.

Good luck.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 11:13 am
I was scared the first time, too. But new roommates will only be strangers for about a week or two, don't worry about it. Go see a few places, talk to the potential roommates, who knows, maybe you'll even find some that are not loud and messy.
0 Replies