same day. As Air America Radio pointed out,

"It is an ironic juxtaposition of events:
One involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of
little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a
groundhog."

The George W. Bush 2006 State Of The Union Drinking Game

By Will Durst

What you need:

1. A group of four taxpayers: including one white guy wearing a Suit. Two people wearing jeans; one in a Work Shirt, the other in a Dark Shirt, and one person wearing Rags. Stitched-together washcloths are nice. Four are grouped around cocktail table within sight of television. Newspapers on floor in front of television.

2. A shot glass per person. Everyone brings their own and places on table. Suit picks one first. Then Work Shirt. Then Dark Shirt. Suit takes last one as well, and Rags gets a Dixie Cup with the top scissored off.

3. Five bucks apiece. Everybody antes.

4. Fondue pot with two packages of Li'l Smokies stewing in barbecue sauce on table. Preferably a sauce from Texas. Surrounded by
:
5. 100 cocktail toothpicks. The kind with the little American flags wrapped around the top.

6. A large stash of beer. Rags gets the cheapest stuff you can find, like Old Milwaukee Light; Suit gets to drink whatever import he asks for; while the jeans get to pick their favorite domestic brand, but they are required to pay for all the beer and the Li'l Smokies.

Rules of the Game:
1. Whenever George W. uses the phrases: "national security," "tax relief," "activist judges" or "affordable health care," drink two shots of beer.

2. Whenever George W. mentions the tragic events of 9/11, last person to grab a toothpick, stand and salute must drink three shots of beer. If you stab yourself in forehead with the toothpick, drink two more shots.

3. If George W. actually says, "If Al Qaeda is calling you, we want to know why," first person to finish a whole beer gets to toss Li'l Smokies at any of the others until they finish their beer. Use the toothpicks.

4. If George W. makes up a word like "strategerie" or "deteriorize" drink four shots of beer.

5. If George W. speaks of Hamas and repeats his earlier statement that "it's good to see people are demanding honest leadership," the first person to stop laughing gets to drink one shot of beer then pummel Suit with empty shot glass. No head shots.

6. Whenever George W. talks about bipartisanship, the last person to grab his throat in a choking motion has to eat four Li'l Smokies.

7. If either the Vice President Dick Cheney or First Lady Laura Bush are caught napping, last person to sing "Wake Up Little Susie, Wake Up," has to drink three shots of beer.

8. Predict the number of applause breaks. Person closest to correct number may then force the other three to drink that number of shots of beer in whatever ratio they wish.

9. Three shots of beer if he mentions New Orleans. Five shots of beer if he mentions Brownie. Two full beers if he mentions Abramoff.

10. Every time Tom DeLay is shown in the audience, take turns throwing Li'l Smokies at the TV. Suit sits out. First face hit doesn't have to drink two shots of beer. Every time Hillary Clinton is shown in the audience, Suit throws Li'l Smokies at the TV. If he hits her face, everyone else drinks two shots of beer. Use the toothpicks.

11. Whenever George W. quotes the Bible, last person to fall to their knees and cry "Hallelujah!" drinks two shots of beer.

12. Whenever George W. smirks during a standing ovation, take turns drinking shots of beer until the audience sits down. Do it double time if his shoulders shake with silent laughter.

EXTRAS:
· Whoever can correctly identify in advance the person giving the Democratic Response doesn't have to watch it.

· Suit gets to kick Rags hard, once if George W uses a heartfelt story of a pulling yourself up by your bootstraps to illustrate a point, twice if the regulation of large cardboard boxes is mentioned as a security precaution. Rags gets 15 seconds to kick the Suit if Bush reveals the subject of the anecdote is in the audience. Thirty seconds if he or she is sitting next to Harriet Miers. One full minute if she's sitting next to an astronaut.

· Suit takes home $20.

· Leftover beer, Li'l Smokies and fondue pot go home with Rags.

Political Comic Will Durst needs a volunteer to wear the suit.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,125 • Replies: 86
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 06:35 pm
Let's all watch and do a play by play.

Joe
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 06:36 pm
Isn't Groundhog's Day Thursday (2/2), and the State of the Union Address tonight (1/31)?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 06:38 pm
Correct. Tomorrow is Bush, I mean, Groundhog day.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 06:39 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Correct. Tomorrow is Bush, I mean, Groundhog day.

Isn't tomorrow 2/1 and Groundhog Day is always 2/2?

Tico (I'm a stickler for details) Maya
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 06:41 pm
Yeah, 2/2. I thought today was the first.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 06:45 pm
I am taping it so I can fast forward to the applause moments and watch it again and again and again...

and yet again.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 06:47 pm
Good for you, Sturgis.

I'm practicing my applause right now. The State of the Union Address calls for active and enthusiastic participation from all loyal Americans.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 06:47 pm
Shoot! It must be the full moon. Yessir, Groundhog Day is the Second of February. Today is Smirking Chimp Day.

No, I want everyone to know I am going to try and approach this speech with a open mind.

Joe(and a large swig of Frozen Stolli's)Nation
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 06:49 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
Today is Smirking Chimp Day.

Were the banks closed?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 06:49 pm
I plan to put on a tape of applause while the speach is on. Meanwhile, I will be going about my normal activities.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 06:50 pm
You have normal activities?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 06:53 pm
He he.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 06:53 pm
I'm going to tape American Idol and watch it while the speech is on. I'll get the highlights of George on NPR tomorrow. Looking at his mouth moving is just too painful.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 07:02 pm
i'll listen on the online radio. while i could probably find it on cnn or bbc tv, i'd rather not. radio will be more than plenty.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 07:04 pm
Green Witch wrote:
I'll get the highlights of George on NPR tomorrow.

It's all highlights...you really shouldn't miss the excitement.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 07:17 pm
My option is missing in the poll. I mean, the one that would have applied had I had a TV. The "coming across it every now and then while zapping and then not being able to help watching it for a while in pretty much exactly the way one just can't look away from a road accident" one.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 07:21 pm
Hey, a dag sighting!

You've got a bunch of us worried about you. The car thing.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 07:23 pm
Yeah, That's it Strugis

George (all highlights all the time)Bush

If the fawning sycophants on the Republican aisle can stop their applauding long enough to listen, they will discover there is no there there.

Joe(How's that Social Security Reform going?)Nation

====

It is an accident of history, for certain, Nimh
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 07:25 pm
I'd play a drinking game, where everytime I heard him say security, terrorism or ...hurt america..., I'd drink a shot of tequila. It'd be fun if I could, but I can't as my health insurance premiums preclude me from buying alcohol.
0 Replies