The Oscar nominations: Brokeback leads the pack

plainoldme

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 04:24 pm
There is informed opinion.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 04:26 pm
Is that anything like an 'educated guess'?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 11:56 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
I disagree that it is "dated and quaint" in the way your friend seems to characterize it. It has a historical viewpoint that is extremely important, especially about the New West and Wyoming. That's what Proulx loves to write about. Of course, the environment, especially the interior environment and milieu, could be called "quaint," especially Ennis' wife, her characterization being the typical country girl. This film would obviously have been impossible to make when your friend suggests for the very reason suggested -- it would never have been acceptable until now. That says a lot about the quaintness of the minds of the general public even with the improvement of some acceptance in our society. It's not just acceptance that is necessary, however, but understanding. That's a huge mountain to climb. It's a wish dream to imagine it being made even in the sexually expanded Seventies. Instead, we got Al Pacino in "Crusing," which made the gay world dark and forbodding.

Your friend is still a bit nieve in believing that there are not many individuals who are not essentially gay (not living the gay lifestyle) who have sexual relationships with the same sex and remain on the fence their entire lives. The story rings true and especially in the environment and the milieu the characters are circumstantially set in.

It's not as easy as imagining some internal "gear shift" or experimentation that while enjoyable at the time is not accepted by the individual as a dominant lifestyle.

BTW, what did you friend think of Ang Lee's "The Wedding Banquet," another ground breaking gay film?

One film which wasn't great, but was truly groundbreaking, was Making Love back in the early eighties. It dealt with some of the same issues that BBM does. Too bad that movie wasn't made as well as BBM was. I think the documentary effect the director tried to go for was to impart a sense of objectiveness in dealing with the subject. That said, I think that effect failed, and gave the movie a hokey feel.

Movies like BBM, and the whole movie industry in general for that matter, are being left behind by the innovation and truly groundbreaking work of cable television and shows like Queer as Folk and The L Word, the latter of which I think is a pretty good series.

About the "fence sitting," I think that's a criticism of bi-sexuality, that you either are or you aren't. Plainoldme expressed it pretty well.

I don't see my friend as often as I used to. I used to work with him, but now he lives mostly in Chicago, and only occasionally comes into town. I don't know if he's seen The Wedding Banquet.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 09:23 am
It obviously wasn't time for "Making Love" as it failed critically and at the box office -- its sappy, maudlin, over-sentamentalized soap opera approach was still true-to-life, but then, much of life can be like that after all. It just didn't make the grade and therefore lost most of its groundbreaking potential.

It's true that cable has been able to forge ahead of what is shown at the cineplex but "Queer As Folk" was unevenly written and could be very good or just more mediocre soap opera. I haven't followed "The L Word," but the episodes I have seen are better written if not really grabbing my interest. I'll try to watch a few more episodes (I'm rehooked on "Dead Like Me" which the INHD channel has purchased for rerun).

It's true that there are bi-sexuals who are gay and trying to compensate for family and peer pressure to remain outwardly straight. However, there are really no successfully comprehensive studies of what it actually entails socially. My experience is that many are attracted to both sexes and not hung up on any sexual morays so that sex with either is acceptable and, I might add, enjoyable. Trying to pigeon hole (sic) them based on a limited personal experience as POM could only have is armchair psychiatry at its worse. The complexity of bi-sexuality is effectively explored by BBM.

BBM is only groundbreaking in using major stars in telling a story of a rural gay relationship in a time frame where gayness was still in the closet and with production values that "Making Love" could only hope to have.

I do encourage your friend to see "The Wedding Banquet," a romantic comedy that is better than nearly every straight-themed romantic comedy. It's intelligently made, something one expects from Ang Lee.
0 Replies