different intelligence levels

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 02:56 am
What can you do when you realize you're married to someone that is , well....dumb ?
My husband is very kind and means well, but he is just not very bright. I love him, but we just can't talk to each other. The biggest problems here are a huge lack of meaningful communication and he makes really foolish comments and decisions that affect our finances and future.
I can't make him smarter- and I can't "dumb down".
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 726 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Greyfan

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 06:13 am
Sounds insurmountable.

On the other hand, I have known people whose opinion of their intelligence versus someone else's does not jibe with my impression of the same.

And the fact that you have come to such a reassessment indicates a fault in your ability to evaluate intelligence accurately in the first place. (I suppose love was blind.)

What I'm saying is, something else might be going on here. As Davy Crockett would say, just be sure you're right before going ahead (or moving on).
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 06:29 am
Do you love this man? Are there other qualities in him that would make up for his level of intelligence? Unless you can honestly answer with a resounding "yes" to both my questions, you are headed for a life of anger and frustration.

Sometimes women who are married to men who are their intellectual inferiors, have happy lives despite this difference. If the man is kind, considerate and caring, sometimes it can be as important as lack of intellect. It also relates to the depth of the differences in intellect. Is your husband simply not quite as bright as you, or is he really not terribly bright at all?

Brighter women will often assume responsibilities that often are primarily left to the man..............finances, major decisions. Are you able to do this in your marriage?

You need to weigh all these things, before you decide on a course of action. BTW, how long are you married, and are there any children involved?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 07:02 am
wow look at all the colors.
My wife is waay smarter than me, which is ok. I dont have to worry about saying things in public because she will explain that its my meds.
What makes me a little dubious is that , how did you guys find each other? did he drag you off bodily?

Remember , the things that attract us to our mates are the very things that will drive us nuts after the wedding. Maybe thats where youre at.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 08:43 am
as phoenix noted, it's one thing if he's normal & you're superbright, another if you're somewhat above average & he's significantly below average. if you're the one who's gifted, you'll probably have a hard time finding too many available people at your level that you're also compatible with. in that case, you either go it alone, or compromise and decide what traits are the most important in a relationship.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 08:47 am
How long have you been married?

Maybe you should have realised his level of intelligence before you got married.

Also it could be a case of his intelligence level has dropped since he has been married to you.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 06:57 pm
You put something in the tea and he dropped.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 04:48 am
I am sure he wasn't any smarter before you got married, so there must have been something about him other than his intellect that made you fall in love with him and decided to get married.
So I suggest you concentrate on his other virtues.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 05:14 am
I have only one thing to say: "Flowers For Algernon"
0 Replies