I have a question about burns?

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 08:40 pm
I dropped my curling iron on my upper leg last week and have a pretty nasty looking burn to show for it. I immediately applied diprolene gel to the area, since in the past, quick application normally meant no visible sign of burn and very quick healing. I think this burn might be considered a third degree burn and the gel has helped but it still looks pretty red and nasty. I've never had a burn quite this bad before, and was hoping someone might have experience with the healing process of third degree burns. The area is about half an inch wide and 3 inches long. I keep it clean, and covered and change the bandage often. Any advice would be helpful. I called my doctor when it happened and we agreed it would be alright to treat it at home, but I'm having second thoughts.

P.S. The reason I dropped the iron is because my left leg is in a brace until my broken knee heals. The brace starts at the ankle and reaches almost to my hip, so everyday things have become a temporary difficulty. I normally don't use my leg to prop up the curling iron and wasn't trying to do that last week either.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,029 • Replies: 7
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 09:18 pm
Is it infected, do you think?

It needs a medical assessment if there is any sign of this.

In future, I would keep any burn in cold running water for a long time, rather than any other first aid treatment.

I would also try aloe vera gel on it now.

Ow, you poor thing!
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 09:23 pm
Cod liver oil in an ointment if its that bad, or Aloe Vera straight from the plant itself for minor burns....yes Ive done that before with straightners.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 09:23 pm
Bummer - I know whatchya mean about an immobilized leg; real inconvenient. As for the burn, I sorta doubt its 3rd Degree; that pretty much involves significant destruction of flesh, with all skinlayers and some-to-much subcutaneous tissue destroyed or damaged. Typically, a 3rd Degree burn will exhibit charring and sloughing of flesh, or a whitish, abnormally pale, wrinkled, "cooked" appearance, and will be deep. 3rd Degree burns generally do not heal spontaneously, and perhaps counter-intuitively, usually don't result in much pain, at least initially, because along with the other tissue damge, the nerves are destroyed. Quite often, a 3rd Degree burn will be an open wound, with seepage and commensurate high risk of infection, requiring skin grafting and/or other surgery to repair.

Still, that does sound like a nasty one. I dunno what more you can do for it than what you've already done. Being gifted with extraordinary clumsiness, along with a general lack of regard for common sense and safe practice, I manage to burn myself with some regularity. I've found neosporin or bacitracin applied topically does a great job of aiding the healing process, and whiskey taken by mouth as needed is great for the rest of the bother.

I gather you're concerned about scarring - again, I dunno, as I never really give that much thought, but from what I've read, over-the-counter and herbalist anti-scarring potions are mostly good for their sellers, while doing little harm to the burn. If spending the money makes you feel better, go for it.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 09:57 am
Neosporin is great for preventing scarring, too.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 10:02 am
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000030.htm

If there is any possibility that it is a third degree burn, I would STRONGLY suggest that you see an MD, asap.

Third degree burns are not something to fool around with. You wouldn't want to do something that might cause serious damage.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 02:25 pm
Glitterbag--

How's the burn? How's the leg? How's the psyche?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 02:59 pm
Hi Noddy, The burn doesn't hurt as long as I keep it covered. It looks much better today. Still kind of red and angry looking. The white area in the center just sort of chipped off, and the doc have me a new prescription of the gel which is working much better. I think the other tube was just too old.

The leg feels really good, in fact for a moment I forgot you were asking about the broken knee. I got the brace off about 2 weeks ago, go in for another x-ray in 4 weeks and that should be that.

My psyche, I don't know. We have been up and down since we lost our dog, Sadie to liver cancer Feb 8th. She had made a complete recovery from her back surgery, and boom, she was in liver failure. We realize we did the best thing for her, but we miss her and so does Chloe our other dog.
0 Replies